You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Whether or not he's the right man for the job, it isn't right that he should be referred to as a 'gobshite'.

If he's appointed, he deserves time to prove everybody here right (or wrong, depending on your outlook), but whatever happens I don't think he should be personally abused, that's just bollocks.

He's a decent feller and an honest one too, he deserves our backing if he gets the job because fuck me it's one poisoned chalice our club at the minute. While those two helmets are here, I don't envy anybody taking the manager's post at Liverpool.

So we can't call managers of other clubs "gobshite" if they are deemed "decent and honest"? Does this apply to players at other clubs also?

Were Fulham defensive they average 1.8 goals a game and conceded 1 in 24 games AGAINST TEAMS OUTSIDE THE TOP 7.

Now maybe you cant go on the attack againt the bigger teams but this is the teams from 8th-20 surly you should have a better record than 9 wins and 7 draws

Its not actually goals galore with Hodgson.

Inter:

95/96: 54 points - 51 goals scored

96/97: 59 points - 51 goals scored

Blackburn:

97/98: 58 points - 57 goals scored

Fulham:

08/09: 53 points - 39 goals scored

09/10: 46 points - 39 goals scored

Results agaisnt teams place 8th to 20th

P 22 W 9,D 6,L 7,F 26,A 22. PTS 33 PPG 1.5Goals for 1.18 per game, Against 1

A Portsmouth - Won 0-1

H Everton Won 2-1

A Wolves - Lost 2-1

A West Ham United draw 2-2

A Wigan - Draw 1-1

A Birmingham Lost 1-0

H Blackburn W 3-0

H Bolton draw 1-1

H sunderland W 1-0

A Burnley Draw 1-1

A Stoke L 3-2

A Blackburn L 2-0

H Portsmouth W 1-0

A Bolton Draw 0-0

Burnley W 3-0

H Birmingham W 2-1

A Sunderland D 0-0

A Hull l 2-0

H Wigan W 2-1

H Wolves D 0-0

A Everton L 2-1

H west Han W 3-2

H Stoke L 0-1

Fulhams results against teams outside the top 7,last season

Hodgson is exactly the man the cunts want cos, if we finish 8th,9th 10th or whatever next season people will blame Hodgson ( just like last season when Benitez got the blame for 6th )

No blame will be put on them. If Dalglish was Manager and we finished mid table - how many would blame Kenny??

They are intent on using the next Manager as a sheild the same way Purslow & Broughton are.

In the meantime they carry on raping our club

Roy Hodgson would do well to avoid fast-falling Liverpool and stay where he's loved at Fulham

Roy Hodgson now has a decision to make.

England’s progression to the last 16 of the World Cup finals would seem to rule out the national manager’s job as an option.

Fabio Capello has avoided the doomsday scenario of elimination at the group stage and even if his side go out on Sunday, the chances of him being sacked or quitting have receded somewhat.

So it looks like Fulham or Liverpool for our Roy and there is little question he should stay put.

Those who say that the lure of one last big job for the 62-year-old has already proved persuasive may well be right.

But if Hodgson moves to Anfield on that basis, he is deceiving himself.

The Liverpool manager's position is not a big job in the way that Inter Milan, one of his former clubs, or Real Madrid would have been.

And it is certainly not the coveted role it was a few years ago before George Gillett, Tom Hicks and Rafa Benitez ultimately combined to leave them in their current predicament.

The time to join Liverpool is probably after the next managerial regime, when the club have been sold and the issues within the squad at least partially addressed.

Taking charge now would be to walk into a series of problems without the funds to buy a quick fix yet with expectations as high as ever.

Liverpool are a top club and their fans and their history dictates they must compete at the highest level.

One season of finishing seventh in the Premier League won’t change that.

As much as the supporters can see the problems, another campaign like the last one would still be hard for them to take.

Oh yes, and there are rumblings that Liverpool’s best players - Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres - are not sold on the idea of Hodgson, never mind legend Kenny Dalglish.

Meanwhile, the vacancy Hodgson would create at Fulham has led to interest from Mark Hughes and Sven Goran Eriksson.

Neither of these managers would come cheaply and both would expect significant funding and ambition from owner Mohamed al-Fayed after last season’s run to the Europa League final.

That is not guaranteed. Fayed has swung from wanting to make Fulham the Manchester United of the South to trying to turn them into the Charlton of west London during his 13-year tenure.

They are somewhere in between now (taking Charlton when they were in the Premier League, of course) and it will not have escaped anyone’s notice within the game that Fayed has just sold Harrods for around £1.5 billion.

Whether he will want to plough a large chunk of that into Fulham remains to be seen.

He already knows that trying to take the club, whose supporter base is moderate, up the Premier League table may not be worth the extra investment in a business sense.

However, if he is to further loosen the purse strings Fulham should become an even more attractive prospect for Hodgson.

As the LMA manager of the year, he will do well to keep his stock as high as it is today.

But he has a better chance of it at a club with low expectations and improving funds than at one where the opposite is true, such as Liverpool.

Guest simon

Im going to say something now and it isnt going to go down well but it isnt only the owners killing our club and The Liverpool Way. It's the fans as well this thread makes me sick and if any Manager saw it they would stay well away. Not to mention potential owner if i was reading this and thinking of buying LFC i would think what if the first season dont go well would i be treated like the Americans? Only the Americans and RBS deserve this kind of abuse. Seriously im sickened.

Im going to say something now and it isnt going to go down well but it isnt only the owners killing our club and The Liverpool Way. It's the fans as well this thread makes me sick and if any Manager saw it they would stay well away. Not to mention potential owner if i was reading this and thinking of buying LFC i would think what if the first season dont go well would i be treated like the Americans? Only the Americans and RBS deserve this kind of abuse. Seriously im sickened.

Roy has nothing to do with Liverpool at the moment and maybe never, since when can't people slag off other teams managers.

Guest simon
Roy has nothing to do with Liverpool at the moment and maybe never, since when can't people slag off other teams managers.

He will be thats certain.

What would you say about fans who accuse a manager of intentionally losing matches in order to get a payout?

Why slag him off really?

Just pointing to a series of facts should be more than enough and the mediocrity of his results should speak for themselves.

Appointing Hodgson is on par with ridiculous decisions as thinking Lucas Leiva would be able to do the job Xabi Alonso did for Liverpool.

Rafa had run his course at this club, but there was no way he would not improve next season, its always been ups and downs with him.

Hodgson though is just constant mediocrity as his result shows and like the break down of his result shows.

He is Hicks choice, that in itself tells its own story.

Why slag him off really?

Just pointing to a series of facts should be more than enough and the mediocrity of his results should speak for themselves.

Appointing Hodgson is on par with ridiculous decisions as thinking Lucas Leiva would be able to do the job Xabi Alonso did fro Liverpool.

Rafa had run his course at this club, but there was no way he would not improve next season, its always been ups and downs with him.

Hodgson though is just constant mediocrity as his result shows and like the break down of his result shows.

He is Hicks choice, that in itself tells its own story.

Code bang on the money as always.

Guest simon
What would you say about fans who accuse a manager of intentionally losing matches in order to get a payout?

I know i know i was wrong about that but i guarantee i wasn't the only one that thought it i said fans i am a fan too so yes i believe i am responsible to but not just because of that.

Sorry lee but what are you trying to prove here, that Fulham hardly score goals and you would be lucky to get more than goal on average a game?

Exactly,people trying to say Fulham are not defensive,and Hodgson teams plays football,the stats you posted on goals and points in his career,the results i posted on Points per game,goals scored etc shows he avaoids defeat first then tries to win,The results were not agsint spurs,scum,chelski etc but Stoke,Blackburn,Portsmouth etc his team were not attacking but like Reddkanp the press love British managers

He will be thats certain.

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Reds eye up Rijkaard

Last updated: 24th June 2010

Skysports.com understands Liverpool have lined up a move for Galatasaray boss Frank Rijkaard as they search for a new manager.

The Reds are still hunting a replacement for Rafa Benitez following the Spaniard's departure from Anfield earlier this month.

A number of names have been linked with the Anfield hot-seat, including Fulham boss Roy Hodgson and former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini and now Rijkaard has come under consideration from the Liverpool board.

Former Holland international Rijkaard is regarded as one of the best coaches in Europe following his success at Barcelona, where he won two Spanish titles and the UEFA Champions League during his tenure at Camp Nou.

Compensation

Sources in Turkey claim Liverpool have approached Galatasaray twice in the last week to seek permission to talk to Rijkaard, but that the Turkish club have rejected their overtures.

Rijkaard, who took over at Galatasaray in June 2009, has just a year to run on his current deal, meaning Liverpool may not have to fork out a high compensation fee if they can agree a deal with Galatasaray for the 47-year-old.

The Dutchman is believed to be keen on managing in the Premier League at some stage in his career, but Galatasaray are reluctant to lose his services.

Liverpool are keen to sort out their managerial situation as soon as possible and they could be forced look elsewhere if Galatasaray fail to release Rijkaard.

Certain, eh?

Exactly,people trying to say Fulham are not defensive,and Hodgson teams plays football,the stats you posted on goals and points in his career,the results i posted on Points per game,goals scored etc shows he avaoids defeat first then tries to win,The results were not agsint spurs,scum,chelski etc but Stoke,Blackburn,Portsmouth etc his team were not attacking but like Reddkanp the press love British managers

Cheers, I was not sure if you backed him or not.

So we can't call managers of other clubs "gobshite" if they are deemed "decent and honest"? Does this apply to players at other clubs also?

You missed my point by some distance there.

What I was saying was, I don't think it's right to personally abuse the feller. The original poster went straight for that approach and I disagreed with it.

Not only is it pointless and petty to resort to slagging him off personally, it's like code said, his record speaks for itself, so we shouldn't have to.

I personally think he's a decent guy. The right man for us? I seriously doubt it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to give him shit before he comes here (if he does of course).