You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine the uproar on here if we'd signed a league one striker.

Haha Everton.

I just find this attitude disappointing, NWT. I know you're not alone.

What is so wrong with looking for talent lower down the leagues?

Why is it we can only sign massive names or foreign lads?

I'm not saying Beckford will make it, but part of me hopes he does alright (just alright, mind).

We seem to think that the scouting systems that are in place are fool-proof: if a player was going to make it, he'd be at the bigger clubs by now. It's a nonsense. There's so many factors which influence a player, no matter what the age. Ian Wright proved that.

I would love to sign a player from Watford or wherever and him be a success. It just seems that everyone thinks looking in these places is wrong.

True for every Ian Rush there's a Richard Money, but there just COULD be an Ian Rush, couldn't there?

So you would trust David Moyes judgement over ours? What a typically half-witted anti-Rafa innuendo! In 18 derbies Moyes has won just 3 and never won at Anfield. He has never won a trophy and been to one final in the whole of his 8 year tenure. World class judgement!!!!!!

Have you forgotten these gems or has the selective memory loss kicked in?

James Beattie

Simon Davies

Andy Van de Meyde

Rodrigo

Anderson da Silva

Per Koldrup

Alex Nyarko

Matteo Ferrari

Nuno Valente

Anthony Gardner

Yakubu

John Ruddy

Lie Tie

Richard Wright

Li Wei Feng

Most of the comments on here are right, Beckford is second rate and if Liverpool would have signed him, Rafa would have been crucified and the Ant Rafa Taliban would have drew first blood, that’s for sure.

Totally indicative of the paranoia running through our club right now. Fucking hell.

I just find this attitude disappointing, NWT. I know you're not alone.

What is so wrong with looking for talent lower down the leagues?

Why is it we can only sign massive names or foreign lads?

I'm not saying Beckford will make it, but part of me hopes he does alright (just alright, mind).

We seem to think that the scouting systems that are in place are fool-proof: if a player was going to make it, he'd be at the bigger clubs by now. It's a nonsense. There's so many factors which influence a player, no matter what the age. Ian Wright proved that.

I would love to sign a player from Watford or wherever and him be a success. It just seems that everyone thinks looking in these places is wrong.

True for every Ian Rush there's a Richard Money, but there just COULD be an Ian Rush, couldn't there?

Agree with all of this. I hope he does ok. It's good to see clubs taking a chance on players from our lower leagues. Being a free transfer it's either a gamble either. Good luck to the lad.

Well, it's the same as somebody suggesting we should buy another tubby left back who can't defend. We've got more than enough of them as well.

Well, exactly. Beckford's better than Eggnog, maybe. But who isn't?

And he's quick, yes, but I think he will require quite a few chances in order to score goals.

OK, maybe the same was often said about Andy "Call me Andrew" Cole, but he had plenty of chances made for him at Newcastle and United, and I doubt Beckford will find himself in that happy situation at Everton.

We shall see.

Agree with all of this. I hope he does ok. It's good to see clubs taking a chance on players from our lower leagues. Being a free transfer it's either a gamble either. Good luck to the lad.

You do realise he's signed for the fucking Bitters?

Fuck him. I hope he's a dismal fucking failure.

Here's what will happen;

He'll score a last minute winner on his league debut.

He'll end up with about 4 or 5 goals by the end of September.

Then he'll hit a shit spell of form, and go about 3 months without scoring.

He'll score a few against some lower league cannon fodder in the FA Cup.

Then get a goal or two near the end of the season.

Then they'll sell him to someone shit like Hull for about £1m in the summer.

Here's what will happen;

He'll score a last minute winner on his league debut.

He'll end up with about 4 or 5 goals by the end of September.

Then he'll hit a shit spell of form, and go about 3 months without scoring.

He'll score a few against some lower league cannon fodder in the FA Cup.

Then get a goal or two near the end of the season.

Then they'll sell him to someone shit like Hull for about £1m in the summer.

Just like your pal Amr Zaki... :whistle:

You do realise he's signed for the fucking Bitters?

Fuck him. I hope he's a dismal fucking failure.

Im pretty confident that this signing is not going to turn them into potential European Cup finalists!

I just think its good that a club is prepared to sign a player who has done well in the lower in the lower leagues. It's hardly a gamble as very little cost will be involved. Admittedly it is a shame he's gone to Everton and Im not suggesting we should have gone for him.

Decent signing for free. Be interesting to see how he does.

I'm sure he'll do well, Moyes tends to get the little signings bang on, it's when he spends money he usually arses it up. It's one of the reasons i think Moyes is the best manager in the business at what he does but would fail miserably if he was given a top job.

Guest PurpleNose
My mates a Leeds fan and recons beccio is far better' date=' he's said he'll be out on loan in the championship by January.. I agree, he's not that good[/quote']

Becchio has the technical ability to play at a higher level.

Wouldn't swap N'Gog for Beckford.