You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Debrecen Away 24/11/2009

Xherdan

Rafael Benitez has taken an 18-man squad to Hungary for Liverpool's crunch Champions League tie with Debrecen.

The squad that left Liverpool's John Lennon airport today is:

Pepe Reina, Diego Cavalieri, Glen Johnson, Daniel Agger, Fabio Aurelio, Emiliano Insua, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel, Andrea Dossena, Alberto Aquilani, Steven Gerrard, Yossi Benayoun, Javier Mascherano, Lucas, Jay Spearing, Dirk Kuyt, David Ngog.

What are peoples thoughts? Will Lyon field an under strength side or will they look to confirm top spot in the group with a win?

Its going to be hard night no matter what happens.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if Lyon put out a full-strength side with the intention of winning the group, I'd still fancy Fiorentina to get a result against them. They're the best side we've faced in the group, in my opinion.

I've resigned myself to the fact that we're out and I'm just going to enjoy the trip and have a laugh. If we're still in the competition on Wednesday morning then it's a bonus.

They'll wantto make sure they finish top, especially as most of the other top, top teams will also finishe top, so they'll want to make sure that they don't fall foul of the ridiculous seeding system.

Whether or not they'll give 100% is another matter though. No matter how professional a team are, when you're already throuh, you're already through, and 50:50 challenges might just become 45:55, that sort of thing.

I have never thought that any footballer on the pitch will not give his all for the team!!! I can understand a manager fielding a weakened side, but surely the players on the pitch have a point to prove. a stake to claim their position in the side. If Lyon do us a favour and we can go onto qualify then that is great. If we get knocked out of the CL then it is no less than what we deserve,

I don't think Fiorentina will beat Lyon. Watched the highlights of their home defeat to Parma at the weekend, and Fiorentina looked poor. With the attacking talent Lyon have got, I'm hopefully Lyon will get at least a draw.

I just hope we can manage a win.

Given the amount of players we have injured/just coming back from injuries, why have we only taken 18 players (the amount for a matchday squad)? Or can you only take 18 and then call up others if necessary? What happens if the likes of Agger/Babel/Aurelio/Yossi/Gerrard break down? Will they basically just be unused subs, or can we call on other players from our 25 man Champions League squad, to fly out to Hungary?

I don't think Fiorentina will beat Lyon. Watched the highlights of their home defeat to Parma at the weekend, and Fiorentina looked poor. With the attacking talent Lyon have got, I'm hopefully Lyon will get at least a draw.

I just hope we can manage a win.

Thats exactly right, Woo. The players have to concentrate 100% on our game. If he has not got anything else right lately, then Rafa is spot on in his comments about the team ignoring what might or might not be happening in the other game.

There are two ways we can still have an interest in the last group game.

1. We beat Debrecen and Lyon beat Fiorentina. Then any kind of win for us against Fiorentina will see us through.

2. We bear Debrecen and Lyon and Fiorentina draw. Then we have to beat Fiorentina by three clear goals to progress.

Any other combination of results tomorrow night and we are out.