You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Debrecen Away 24/11/2009

Xherdan

There are two ways we can still have an interest in the last group game.

1. We beat Debrecen and Lyon beat Fiorentina. Then any kind of win for us against Fiorentina will see us through.

2. We bear Debrecen and Lyon and Fiorentina draw. Then we have to beat Fiorentina by three clear goals to progress.

Any other combination of results tomorrow night and we are out.

I think there's a third way too.

If we thump Debrecen (say 9-0), and Fiorentina draw, then we could beat Fiorentina by two clear goals, and (as our head-to-head GD would be the same) go through, having a superior overall goal difference.

Also, if we end up with the same points and the same overall GD, wouldn't we go through on the co-effecient rule?

I'm clutching at straws here, but hey...

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------------------------------Reina---------------------------

Johnson----------Carragher-------------Agger-----------Aurelio

-----------------Mascherano--------Aquilani-------------------

Benayoun--------------------Gerrard---------------------Riera

------------------------------Ngog----------------------------

Not sure if all the above are fit but thats what i'd go with. Lucas has played a lot of football and was partly to blame for the second goal on saturday and he missed a great chance to win it. Dirk has been chuff for ages and maybe being dropped would be the boot on the hole he needs.

I think there's a third way too.

If we thump Debrecen (say 9-0), and Fiorentina draw, then we could beat Fiorentina by two clear goals, and (as our head-to-head GD would be the same) go through, having a superior overall goal difference.

Also, if we end up with the same points and the same overall GD, wouldn't we go through on the co-effecient rule?

I'm clutching at straws here, but hey...

co-effecient rule? whats that then?

Given the amount of players we have injured/just coming back from injuries, why have we only taken 18 players (the amount for a matchday squad)? Or can you only take 18 and then call up others if necessary? What happens if the likes of Agger/Babel/Aurelio/Yossi/Gerrard break down? Will they basically just be unused subs, or can we call on other players from our 25 man Champions League squad, to fly out to Hungary?

Not sure, but given our current run on injuries, I would have taken a third goal keeper just incase one of them does something before kick off :eek:

Dear Lord,

I'm not overly religious, although I regularly worshipped your Dad between 1993 & 2007 (even when he wasnt playing for us). Therefore, I was wondering if I'm a good boy for the next 24 hours, will you put in motion a series of events that keeps us in the Champions League beyond 9.30pm (GMT) tomorrow?

Thine be the glory, the fire and the brimstone, the big beardy types, and much rambling and mumbling.

Forever and ever.

Amen.

I think if Fiorentina don't win tomorrow, we're through. This is where we thrive. He just needs to get the last few results out of their mind. Take them for a few bevvies tonight curtesy of him or the club, and tell them it's a clean slate tomorrow. New start to the season, and we'll beat them. Then if we need to beat Fiorentina (3-0 or not) we'll do it.

Does anyone else agree with me that playing Ngog, Kuyt, Voronin, Babel or any of our strikers apart from Nando up front on their own isn't a great idea.

None of them are capable of leading the line anywhere near how Nando can.

We should only play 1 up front when it's Nando, how is playing a relatively inexperienced Ngog up on his own a good idea? Give him some help, why are we so afraid of playing 4-4-2 these days it's just another example of being unwilling to change with the circumstances.

Does anyone else agree with me that playing Ngog, Kuyt, Voronin, Babel or any of our strikers apart from Nando up front on their own isn't a great idea.

None of them are capable of leading the line anywhere near how Nando can.

We should only play 1 up front when it's Nando, how is playing a relatively inexperienced Ngog up on his own a good idea? Give him some help, why are we so afraid of playing 4-4-2 these days it's just another example of being unwilling to change with the circumstances.

I dont think we have the wingers to play a 4-4-2.