You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc
Could be good news if what I'm hearing is true.

Is this linked with the delivery of a large number of banjos to melwood and the sale by ground staff of the pitch roller?

Unfortunately he retired from International football 11 years too late!! 7 Goals in 62 appearances. Even a defender would expect to score more than that!

It's roughly comparable to José Chilavert's record for Paraguay of 8 in 74.

They should put that on his tombstone: "Emile Heskey - slightly more prolific than a goalkeeper".

I had the misfortune to endure Heskey for far too long at the JJB. Some Wigan fans always defended him with the words "He finds space". Well, as a great man once said, Stephen Hawking studies space, but you wouldn't put a pair of fuckin Predators on him and stick him up front, would you?

I read somewhere that in the enirity of his 72(?) caps, he only had 27 shots.

27 shots. As a striker. In an international carrer that spanned almost ten years.

Funny.

The scary thing about that is that no-one is even remotely shocked by it.

• 1 year later...

His goal in the Super cup final against Bayern still gives me goosebumps when I see it.

How we've messed up (it's probably self-inflicted to some extent, but it's happened too often for it to be pure coincidence imo) attacking/striking talent is beyond belief really. At their peak these players were among the best in England (and even Europe I believe)...

Barnes

Collymore

Fowler

Heskey

Owen

Torres

Who's next; Suarez?

He's never had the self-belief to realise just how much of a threat he could be. He was almost unplayable at times between 2000-2002, and German defences in particular were shit scared of him. It's partly his fault - and partly down to coaches always praising him for his work-rate over and above what a striker is meant to bring to the table (ie, goal threat) - that his career has dwindled to the extent it has.

Could you elaborate please?

I probably could go on for ages about this, but in short I believe our overreliance on key players (burning them out/rushing them back after injury/them getting long term injuries) along with a pretty shoddy medical/fitness staff and a lack of professionalism throughout the club and playing staff (at times) has contributed to said players demise. Very much a generalisation of course, but I think there's something in it.

I remember reading an in depth interview with Bjornebye back in 91-92 (fuck I'm getting old) where he pretty much lambasted the training methods and equipment of the Souness regime. Luckily for him it was before the internet era, as he would have been given a relatively quick exit if the British papers had gotten hold of it. WW2 trainers and running on asphalt was the way to get fit iin Souness view. I think we had about 10 Achilles tendon injuries on our players in a two year period... The fact that we even bought Bjornebye is another debate entirely....

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if the same methods were in place when Barnes and Fowler picked up their respective key injuries, and while there is no doubt that it's first and foremost the players responsibility to get back to fitness after injuries, I think the club could have done a better job in this department with their assets. Hate bringing them up, but apart from Lee Sharpe, can you remember any United player of promise floundering so badly as the group of players I mentioned above? Even Giggs and Ferdinand, who have had 50 to 60 hamstring injuries combined seem to have kept as much of their pace as you could possibly expect. Compare that to Owen, who is now chronically injured, or the fitness levels of Fowler and Barnes when they came back. Speaking of the latter, I actually watched the 4-3 vs Newcastle the other day, and I understand why my favourite ever Liverpool player isn't held in such high regard by our younger fans. While he could still trap and pass a ball, the fall from grace is pretty hard watching.

I believe it's common knowledge that our discipline concerning training/diet wasn't the best during the Evans era, so even if I hated the last years of Houllier, I think he brought some much needed professionalism back to the club. Rafa continued that, but I'm not sure any of them got it completely right with the medical staff either, or maybe they just ignored their recommendations regarding our players' health because of the need for quick results?

You can probably never guard yourself completely against crocks like Aurelio/Agger/Aquilani, but I think our players spend more time in getting back to fitness than other clubs too (this is pretty much nailed on because I'm impatient, but I'm throwing it in there anyhow)...

• 10 years later...