You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Johnson

Lucky Pierre

Adam Johnson?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Adam Johnson?

I like Johnson and he'd be a no brainer on a free. He isn't a top class player at the moment though, and I do think that's what we need to improve our starting 11.

As a back up option he would be really good though, as he'd add to our English quota for the Champions League and would allow us to sell Riera. Replacing Albert with Johnson (on a free) would be a good bit of business in my opinion.

He won't be completely free, though, we'll have to pay a certain fee for him because of his age, but much lower than a regular transfer fee of course. I'd say we sign him in January and let him finish the season with Boro. The market for young English talent will be smaller and tougher in the future so if we could get him on a cheap the sooner the better.

A good signing if we can get him for a small consideration. Any negotiations with Boro would be a pain in the arse however, since the Ziege deal. If nothing else, he provides a slightly different option for us in that he's a winger with a bit of pace.

Thought Johnson was a bit further on in his development than our youngsters like Amoo etc.? He looked as good as Downing last year to be honest, so I'd rather have him as I think he's still going to improve some.

He's a straight up and down the line winger much like Amoo. Eccleston is ahead of both in terms of the variety and intelligence of his play. It seems pretty pointless to me spending our scarce transfer funds on players that are only marginally better than what we have especially when the difference is because of their age more than anything else.

I think the rule is that if we offer him a better contract than Boro we don't have to pay them anything.

I think the rule is that if Boro offer him a new deal with at least the same wage as his previous contract, and he rejects it, then we would need to pay Boro compensation to sign him.

No, I'm pretty sure that we have to pay some sort of education fee for players under 23 or 24. At least that's how it is in Norway, but I think they are FIFA rules so it should be the same in England.

For about £5m(or less) he'd be a great signing. He'd be good competition for Riera and I'm sure before long he'd replace him. Technically he's very good and he's also pretty quick. I'm sure he'll be one of the best wide left players in the pl within a couple of years and a regular for England. It would be stupid not to sign him on the cheap.

We'd be getting another squad player who's never really going to contribute much to the first team (I'm not saying he wouldn't get put in, just that he wouldn't contribute much). God knows we've had enough mediocre players on our books, especially the dozens that have never made the bench and just clog up the training ground. We need more quality than this, so let's leave the gamble to someone else.