You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we still win the league?

Guest LFD

Can we still win the league?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Can we still win the league?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its way too early. this season has turned out distinctly different than last for sure at the start.

however our biggest issue last year appears to have been rectified. no stupid draws at home. yes we've lost to villa and spurs, but i gather 6 losses for the champion won't be unrealistic.

we've spoken in previous years about how we have to beat the dregs and then split with the top 4. i always thought our record against the top 4 last year was an aberration. i think there is more parity in the top 8 teams or so this year. the key for us is to go on a run of results. winning at the bridge was always a difficult proposition and its not like we didn't play fairly well. big games, small details. we've got some time to work it out.

not saying we are going to win the league but its too early to write us off.

Ofcourse we fuckin can. We have another 30 matches to play ffs. Just like no one gave us a prayer after we lost at Boro. We've seen what kind of run we can go on once we click in to gear with the right team and the top players firing on all cylinders. Chelsea were no better than us yesterday, they just punished our mistakes at key times whereas we didn't. A draw was a fair result.

All of The Big Four have slipped up yes - unfortunately for us, our result in the first of the Big Four matches - a chelsea defeat of our good selves - is a step backwards from last season, which, if i'm not mistaken, saw us go thru all 6 of the Big Four matches , undefeated.....

Still, I havn't given up hope that the topsy turvy results of the prem will continue, hopefully leaving us reletavely untouched..but i think it's just that at this stage...hope....wishful thinking....my team and my club are both in disorder.

I cannot see it unfortunately. Of course we can- but we still have to travel to Old Trafford, Eastlands and the Emirates, having already lost three games. Had we not been so poor against Spurs and so unlucky against Villa we could have afforded to go to those places and dropped points, but now thanks to our own poor form and wastefulness we cannot afford to drop any points at any of those places.

Of course it's not to mention all of the other damn hard fixtures, including two derbies. Our squad looks devoid of confidence- putting six past Hull was great yes, but I don't think we played particularly well and Hull are really, really awful. Defensively we look like strangers as well as looking nervous. This of course has a knock on effect on the confidence of the team.

As for individuals, Reira can do one- his attitude frankly stinks, or at least that's the way it seems. Babel seems to have changed his tune but Rafa obviously doesn't see him as first eleven material. Why Benayoun was dropped to the bench for the Chelsea game was absolutely beyond me. The rest- well, Carra's start is well documented but I'm certain it's a blip; every player has bad runs of form and since he hasn't had one for the past three years, Carra was maybe due one. Torres and Gerrard can't win us games all of the time (hence my bafflement at the decision to drop Yossi- he's been the only other player who seems likely to win us a game of late) and although I'm a big fan of Kuyt he was shite on Sunday.

Yes we can win the league, but it looks incredibly unlikely, as I can't see any of the main sides competing for the title- United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal- losing more than three games, whereas we look increasingly likely to do just that. There's a lot riding on this Aquilani feller which may prove too much for the lad, especially in his first season in the Premiership.

Worrying times.

We can win it, but we have to pull ourselves together. The defence is sloppy at times, and we rarely try to thread the ball into the box - usually it's a lob upfield, or a cross sent over on the off chance that someone will get to to it. The old battering ram approach to the goal still predominates: there is rarely any finesse. But we're still well-placed, and I don't have any time for all the shite the media were talking on Sunday - 'no one's ever won the Premier League after losing three games at this stage'. Absolute bollocks - so what? A year ago, it was reasonable to say 'Burnley will never beat Man Utd in the Premier League', or 'Liverpool will never twat Real Madrid 4-0'.

Of course we can win it. Will we? Err - I'll get back to you on that one.

We won't for as long as we fail to defend set pieces properly. Too many Stokes, Villas, Boltons, Blackburns who set their entire gameplans around scorign off setpieces. While we continue to concede cheap goals by failing to win the ball in the air, we will drop more points in those games than the other title contenders.

The other aspect is scoring goals. If Torres gets injured, where the hell will they come from? Gerrard up front? Kuyt, Voronin, Benayoun, none of these are going to score many. Squad-wise we are seriously short up front. No depth at all, and until that is addressed we won't win the league.

Sorry about the negativity, it's just we don't have enough on paper to do it. Torres is the best forward in the world, but Drogba has Anelka to back him up, while U****d have Owen, Rooney and Berbatov, who will all get likely get 15+ over the season.

Another thing that worries me and ties in with the zonal marking thing (and it was mentioned in the mag this issue) is that we are such a small side. Obviously I'm no manager, but to me, if you have a side with tall, physically imposing players, then playing the zonal marking would prove more successful than if you have a squad like ours, which seems desperately short. The flip side of that would therefore suggest that with a first eleven that is so small, then man-marking would work better; since you have the responsibilty of just one opposition player- and anybody who has played football will tell you that if you aren't the best in the air, just put your marker off. Maybe the very best players in the air will outjump you every now and then but more often than not if you can put him off he won't be able to. A great example of this (although he is an odious little shit) is Ricardo Carvalho. Not the most physically imposing of players but he puts attackers off whenever a set piece comes in.

Looking at the Premiership teams this season, the likes of City have big, imposing players, as do Everton, Blackburn, and even Sunderland. The vast majority of teams in the Prem will be looking at us now and thinking "we could really hurt them with corners and set pieces". There is a gaping hole that has been left by the departure of Hyypia, and one that probably hurts us more than the depature of Alonso.