You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we still win the league?

Guest LFD

Can we still win the league?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Can we still win the league?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still fancy our chances. Torres isn't on top gear yet and he's scored three goals in four games. Man U don't look convincing to me. Arsenal are good but they don't have too much depth in certain positions. Chelsea I think are the side to beat and they will be hit hard by the African Nations, so we need to keep in distance with them till then.

I'm sure we'll look far better with Aurelio, Aquilani and Agger back fully fit enhancing the first team and squad.

Yes we can but we wont

I am more worried about finishing 5th than winning it.

The club is in dissarray off the pitch which is transmitting to on the pitch.

If you gave me 4th now and the owners gone id defo take that for sure

4th for a side containing Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres is absolute horseshit.

We should be winning the league with those players.

Yes we can but we wont

I am more worried about finishing 5th than winning it.

The club is in dissarray off the pitch which is transmitting to on the pitch.

If you gave me 4th now and the owners gone id defo take that for sure

Agree with this. Having seen the form and capability of Chelsea and Arsenal, and the rise of City and Spurs, it will be a battle just to get into the top 4. But if we have our players fit and the team playing as we did for much of last season, we're still capable of winning the title. But I'd be surprised if it happened.

I think the top 6 will look like this come end of season.

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. ManUre

4. Liverpool

5. City

6. Spurs

At this point we simply need to get our players back fit from the internationals & then beat Burnley.

The weekend we play Burnley the rest of the present top 6 play each other & this obviously means that we will be;

- In the mix as to the league table

- Have a couple of winnable games leading up to Chelsea

- The three 'A's will be either at or near fitness to boost the squad/team

• 4 weeks later...

We're in the shit. Only a bad mong could suggest otherwise. Unless Torres or Gerrard bail us out, Chelsea will batter us what with the form they're in.

What?

We'll breeze the league.

I still think it is very much possible as long as we keep beating the weaker teams.

We have lost to Spurs and Chelsea away from home - no disgrace really.

The big blow so far was the Villa result.

I still think it is very much possible as long as we keep beating the weaker teams.

We have lost to Spurs and Chelsea away from home - no disgrace really.

The big blow so far was the Villa result.

But we've lost to every decent team we've played this season, those we have beaten are expected to finish in the bottom half of the Premiership.

But we've lost to every decent team we've played this season, those we have beaten are expected to finish in the bottom half of the Premiership.

Doesn't mean we can't beat all the top four at home, plus maybe get good results away to Arsenal, Man U and City.

I think we still have a great chance. Chelsea are picking up wins, but aren't looking convincing, the African Nations will hurt them as well. Man U aren't looking great and rely heavily on Rooney.

The losses won't hurt us too much as long as we keep picking up wins against the weaker teams, unlike the numerous draws we got last season.

We usually get better and better as the season goes on, Aquilani and Agger will boost our team, I am not ruling it out, especially as we are only 6 points behind the top. This league is open.

I can't believe anyone is seriously advocating we can win the league. We will struggle badly to finish fourth this season. There's a real sense of an end of era about the squad, and even about a manager who has given it his best shot but has run out of ideas. It's clearly not helped by having spent less than Sunderland, Villa and Stoke over the past two seasons - let alone Spurs or Man City. The squad needs rejuvenation and deepending - and that will cost a fortune.

The squad needs rejuvenation and deepending - and that will cost a fortune.

The irony of the spending is that having spent a fortune on attacking players over the last few years it's now the defence that is falling apart, 12 conceded in the first 8 league games. It must be decades since we conceded so many so early in the season.