You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The revisionism that needs fixing is that there were millions of people saying Alonso was shit for two years. Once you exclude the WUMS the general sense was that here was a player whose performances had been such that it wasn't unreasonable to think an improvement could be made. That was my take on it and I think you'll find a lot of peoples as well, very few people think he was shit but it suits your hunger for drama to characterize it as such. Hey ho.

Correct.

I don't think he is going anywhere personally.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back and read my post dozy, i said are people oblivious that he might be getting sold because he hadnt played to his potential for 2 seasons, how the fuck is that a rumour that im passing off as fact??? jesus wept

I must admit I misread the word Oblivious, I apologise for that. I still think, even when I read it correctly, that you suggest that Alonso's form for 2 years to be the reason for why he was getting sold. You have nothing to back your claim up with though, in the same way others can't back up their claims.

I'm not going to lower myself to a respons next time though if you are going to reply to this in the same tone you did with your last reply.

Correct.

I don't think he is going anywhere personally.

I dunno mate, I've been thinking for a while now that Xabi has been becoming less and less "central" to Benitez's way of thinking the team should play. To me it seems as though he has been increasingly pigeon holed into this playmaker role. Gone are the days when he would be trusted as the DM. And if what others say about his ability to play the Ineista role are true and he's not trusted to carry the attack either then I can see how he would think that maybe there are opportunities for him in a league like La Liga to become the best fully rounded midfielder that he can. I think he sees his role diminishing here, where it could expand exponentially elsewhere.

He has 1 more contract to secure his legacy and I just think he knows he needs to challenge himself to realize his full potential and in ways that aren't on Benitez's agenda.

Now whether Benitez let's him go or not is another matter, but I can see Xabi's opinion and TBH in the same boat I'd do the same thing.

If a player has a wonderful season and then has 2 no where near that standard and is a saleable asset is it not just simple common sense to see why a change was contemplated?

i would run with the personal thing if xabi had had 4 wonderful seasons but he has had 2 excellent seasons and 2 mediocre in comparison, still good but not hitting the heights. You can give all the reasons in the world as to why they were mediocre but at the end of the day you want performances and if it is down to injury then sometimes you have to cut your losses on players unless they are indispensible. I am not saying get rid as i want him to stay but the notion that our team will fall apart is a bit over the top. The rocket up his arse last year spurred him on to a wonderful season, does rafa get credit for challenging him and putting the ball in his court?

Only Gerrard, Torres, Reina and Masch are irreplaceable imo and Carra but maybe not on this seasons form. Take any of those out and i think we would struggle and find it hard to find a replacement as apart from carra the others can have a say at being the best in the world in their respective positions.

I think it is easier to find someone to go into alonso's slot next to masch. I am not saying they will be better but i think a few players can do a job there and if we get better wide options it will be easier for someone to come in to that position and it shouldn't affect results too much.

I hope he stays but if Rafa does not want him anymore or doesn't trust him then so be it, he is the manager and the buck stops with him. If he wants to change our style and alonso doesn't feature than i will have to accept it. Just because Alonso was our second best player this year doesn't mean it is good enough. We may get a lesser player but improve as a team and win the title.

I personally want him to stay and after watching barca i thought we have someone who can play like that in the middle of the park. However if he goes for whatever reason we will cope imo

I must admit I misread the word Oblivious, I apologise for that. I still think, even when I read it correctly, that you suggest that Alonso's form for 2 years to be the reason for why he was getting sold. You have nothing to back your claim up with though, in the same way others can't back up their claims.

I'm not going to lower myself to a respons next time though if you are going to reply to this in the same tone you did with your last reply.

It wasnt a rumour that Alonso wasnt playing to his full potential, that is a fact Im afraid as proved this year. My claim is backed up by his form over the past 3 years which was in full view of everyone , if you or any other conspiracy theorist wants to believe that he was getting sold for anything else other then football reasons last year then go right ahead.

A rumour by the way is someone saying he is leaving because his bird wants to, for tax reasons, he hates rafa, rafa hates him, all of which have nothing to suggest they are true.

Seems to me your the only one who didnt fully understand what i wrote in the first place so lets leave it at that eh.

Some bollocks get spouted on this forum sometimes you know.

Not picking out anyone in particular but fucks sake lads, its sunny outside, go and have a beer or something instead of arguing like little fucking kids.

Its starting to get a bit ridiculous now, might seek refuge in the GF til next season.

It wasnt a rumour that Alonso wasnt playing to his full potential, that is a fact Im afraid as proved this year. My claim is backed up by his form over the past 3 years which was in full view of everyone , if you or any other conspiracy theorist wants to believe that he was getting sold for anything else other then football reasons last year then go right ahead.

A rumour by the way is someone saying he is leaving because his bird wants to, for tax reasons, he hates rafa, rafa hates him, all of which have nothing to suggest they are true.

Seems to me your the only one who didnt fully understand what i wrote in the first place so lets leave it at that eh.

Everyone saw him not playing to his potential 2 season running, I agree that was something for everyone to see. It's a long way from that to saying it was the reason he was getting sold though. That is just speculations, or rumours if you want. I hope you are right though, no one want Alonso to stay more than me.

Ok, I'm going to stick my neck into the proverbial lions mouth, and critcise the leader.

Dave, with all due respect (as the admin of this forum), you're wrong.

You already stated, publically, unequivically, that Xabi was leaving (in your match report). The only thing you really gave to back that up was your interpretation of his waving to the Kop.

On the face of it, that ranks of almost childish hysteria. Sorry, but you don't have the ability to make far reaching conclusions based on such minute body language. If you did, you wouldn't be the admin of an internet football fan forum.

Well, its done. You've already stuck your neck out, and said he's going. I'm guessing, and many others are too, that you have more solid info on which to base that. If so, then share (isn't that what this forum was SUPPOSED to be about?)

Its too late to say you don't want to get into arguments or debate over this. You already have that bandwagon a huge push downhill, with your match report.

And to pick up on one other thing you said:

Thats part of the problem here. Some people (you included) may well have discussions with people who are closer to the events. But you can't, and shouldn't, take everything you hear through your "grapevine" as gospel.

Do you know if you're being lied to?

Do you know if they have been lied to?

Have you ever asked yourself why some people are "spilling the beans" to outsiders?

You can't automatically assume that the half-snippets and pseudo-gossip you pick up from here and there are the word of God, and that public statements made by the central characters, in the full glare of the media, are automatically wrong (just because they contradict the previously mentioned half-snippets and pseudo-gossip).

I'll bet that if everyone on this issue, who claims to have "inside info" that Xabi is leaving and Rafa is to blame, were to front up and tell what they know - we'd find 10 mutually-exclusive wildly different reasons.

Leading us to the only conclusion possible: its all bullshit, keep your panties on, and let things play out before jumping to wild conclusions which only hold this forum to well-deserved ridicule.

Anyway, its your call.

You now know that arrangements are in place for you to face the Firing Squad,you can't doubt Dave's word!!!!

Not even going to bother commenting on all the bloody rumour and hysterior. If he leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays, it's really not worth getting your knickers in a twist over it. A few words on an internet forum are not going to affect anything. All I will say is that Xabi has been a central piece in all the kit launch stuff over the past few weeks. Would've thought that may say something, maybe not though.

You now know that arrangements are in place for you to face the Firing Squad,you can't doubt Dave's word!!!!

He's proved himself over many years to be just about the most reliable source on the internet.

Everyone saw him not playing to his potential 2 season running, I agree that was something for everyone to see. It's a long way from that to saying it was the reason he was getting sold though. That is just speculations, or rumours if you want. I hope you are right though, no one want Alonso to stay more than me.

Neither do i mate, if her sells him its a bad mistake as far as I'm concerned. Were just about to become a monster of a team and the way i see it and he is integral to that, crushing machine MK2. As i said yesterday i think he will stay here anyway its not like they will be the first people involved in a successful team who dont see eye to eye.

Some bollocks get spouted on this forum sometimes you know.

Not picking out anyone in particular but fucks sake lads, its sunny outside, go and have a beer or something instead of arguing like little fucking kids.

Its starting to get a bit ridiculous now, might seek refuge in the GF til next season.

I did that last summer and I think I'm going to be packing my bags again shortly.