You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

REDS SPONSOR TO RENAME ANFIELD?

Glen C

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2009/reds-sponsor-to-rename-anfield/

Liverpool’s owners are believed to be considering including stadium naming rights in the next sponsorship deal at Anfield.

Club sponsor Carlsberg, who have held Liverpool’s sponsorship for 18 years, will commence discussions on a new deal at the end of the season - when Rick Parry has departed the club.

Speaking to The Independent newspaper, Gareth Roberts - Carlsberg’s UK head of Sponsorship, indicated that stadium naming rights will form part of the discussion with the LIverpool FC management. And with present circumstances, this could relate not to a new stadium - but to the existing Anfield ground.

Upon arrival at Anfield, both Tom Hicks and George Gillette did not rule out the ability to include stadium naming rights as part of a new deal, and with the pair having placed Liverpool in to more than £300 million of debt, and around £30 million of interest payments per year to find it seems that the sanctity of Anfield may be another price the world’s greatest football club may have to pay.

The financial difficulties of the American owners has been well documented and Carlsberg have admitted it has been a ‘distraction’ to the club.

“The stadium is a big step of their progression in the future and we want to be part of that.

“The best thing is they [Hicks and Gillett] seem to have resolved the internal issues and they are going to take the next step. We need to understand where they are going with the stadium [but] we are really ambitious that they get the next step right as it will take them into the next stage of their progression [as a club] as well. They have done very well taking the next step in the league but it is about them setting the platform for the future.”

Get ready to take your seat at The Carlsberg Stadium.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had off agreed to sell the rights at the start of the new stadium we would never have had to sell the fucking club, admittedly we would have got a bowl like Arsenals but I am pretty sure that Arsenal sold their naming rights for 100 mill, which we would have got and our stadium was projected to cost about 100-150!

It'll probably be the best stadium in the world.

As for "New Anfield", I remember Emerates was going to be called "New Highbury" or "Ashburton Grove" by the fans. It isnt. It'll happen, you'll be saying "...at Carlsberg" to your mates within 4 years, although I still call the divisions 1 to 4.

If we had off agreed to sell the rights at the start of the new stadium we would never have had to sell the fucking club, admittedly we would have got a bowl like Arsenals but I am pretty sure that Arsenal sold their naming rights for 100 mill, which we would have got and our stadium was projected to cost about 100-150!

The original estimate for a new stadium was £80m mate (don't know how long ago this was - a good few years have passed by). As I understood, Parry and Moores were sat on their arses, waiting for some £10m grant while the stadium cost doubled and went to nearly £220m. They were still waiting for the fucking grant!!

The original estimate for a new stadium was £80m mate (don't know how long ago this was - a good few years have passed by). As I understood, Parry and Moores were sat on their arses, waiting for some £10m grant while the stadium cost doubled and went to nearly £220m. They were still waiting for the fucking grant!!

That is what I thought, so It would have been worth selling the rights if it could more or less pay for a new stadium.

Sorry to be an unromantic but you could name it the macdonalds bowl, so long as my ticket price stayed reasonable. Much rather bitch and moan about the name of the stadium, whilst actually sitting in it, than have pride in keeping the name for ourselves whilst some middle class prick sits in my seat!

Playing devils advocate for a second, but what if the naming rights gave us an additional £30m this summer for transfers?

Hasn't worked out for the arse though, the money just seems to be paying for the construction of the stadium itself, with the idea being that increased crowds will add some money at some stage in the future. I'm not sure if that's the case or not, but they don't seem to have any cash.

Playing devils advocate for a second, but what if the naming rights gave us an additional £30m this summer for transfers?

How many the worlds top club have a naming rights stadium? Do you not think Barca could get £300m to rename Camp Nou?

How about we get a match day mascot call Coco the Clown and make millions from kiddies merchandise

It'll probably be the best stadium in the world.

As for "New Anfield", I remember Emerates was going to be called "New Highbury" or "Ashburton Grove" by the fans. It isnt. It'll happen, you'll be saying "...at Carlsberg" to your mates within 4 years, although I still call the divisions 1 to 4.

I don't think so Thants. The problem with the Arsenal supporters is that they didn't really seem to care.

How many the worlds top club have a naming rights stadium? Do you not think Barca could get £300m to rename Camp Nou?

How about we get a match day mascot call Coco the Clown and make millions from kiddies merchandise

We already tried your Coco the Clown idea, he resigns this summer.

Im not saying we will get £30m, but if we did would people be happy if we spent the money directly on players?

We already tried your Coco the Clown idea, he resigns this summer.

Im not saying we will get £30m, but if we did would people be happy if we spent the money directly on players?

Nah, it's like selling your self respect isn't it? By the same token, I wouldn't walk through Chester City Centre wearing a "Subway - Eat Fresh!" sandwich board either, no matter how skint I was.

Nah, it's like selling your self respect isn't it? By the same token, I wouldn't walk through Chester City Centre wearing a "Subway - Eat Fresh!" sandwich board either, no matter how skint I was.

Would you do it for £500k per year?

you can't complain about lack of funds being available and then dismiss a revenue stream like naming rights.

i've read numerous people on this forum who say we need money, but don't want a sugar daddy to buy the club blah blah blah.

you can't have your cake and eat it too. either a sugar daddy buys the club and gives rafa ridiculous money, or we need to find a way to increase our revenue. if its naming rights so be it. its best to be in front of the trend rather than behind it so we get a leg up on our competition in this area.

its not an ideal solution, but if it generates more income for the club and gives us a better chance to continue to upgrade the team then so be it.