You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 100 Video Games Of All-Time

RedAloy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who doesn't? Pre-Wii of course.

But what, nine of the top ten?

Bit harsh there, Jules?

There are some (unfortunately, only a few) really good games for the Wii and they (Mario Kart Wii and Mario Galaxy) would be in my top 10 games ever.

The Wii is 95% wobbly-bobbly headed, cutsie pie nonsense for women and children.

Nintendo have all but abandoned the fanbase that saw them through their lean years in pursuit of the casual gamer. I've always had a soft spot for them but they've been taking liberties this gen. I'd say Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. and Twilight Princess are the only games Nintendo's bothered with this gen. They've even re-released old Gamecube games on it, lazy shits.

There's been little decent third party support for it too, apart from Okami, No More Heroes, House of the Dead: Overkill and one other who's name escapes me.

The VGC Top 100 Best Games of All Time, #20-11 - VGChartz - Video Game Charts News Reviews Cheats Tips FAQs Walkthroughs Forums

20. Shadow of the Colossus

A colossus face On of the colossi

Team Ico operates on the ethos that their games are not played but are experienced. Shadow of the Colossus is the product of this ethos. Team Ico’s distinctive art direction, moving soundtrack, and moody atmosphere contribute to the isolated feel of the game. The elements all combine for a truly emotional experience. Also, Team Ico completely shook up the Action Adventure paradigm with this title. There are no towns, other characters to interact with, or even dungeons to explore, just 16 different giant monsters to defeat. The way the colossi are typically defeated is by climbing on them and discoverying a weakness to exploit, which is tons of fun. All of these ideas come together for a unique game.

Platform: PlayStation 2

19. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Title Screen Over World

Yes, there was a time when ‘catching ‘em all’ involved only wrangling 151 different cuddly monsters. Red, Blue, and Yellow are the original games in the Pokemon series, were released in 1998 (in North America), and no doubt were an inspiration to an eight teen year old Michael Vick. Pokemon was revolutionary at its time. Unlike the normal role-playing game, these games did not revolve around a party of core characters; instead, the player assumed the role of a Pokemon trainer and the party was custom created by their choice of 151 different monsters. The game is surprisingly deep as all 151 creatures have different move sets, strengths, weaknesses, and special abilities. Add in a competitive multiplayer mode and an impetus to catch all of the available creatures and you get a game that will keep you busy for months.

Platform: Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Game Boy Advance (as Fire Red and Leaf Green)

18. Starcraft

Protoss Base Zerg Rush

Starcraft is the Super Mario Brothers of the Real Time Strategy genre. Starcraft is timeless; it feels just as fresh now as it did when it was first released. It also defined the Real Time Strategy genre just as Super Mario Brothers did for the platforming genre. Starcraft featured three different races to play, all with incredible balance and deep story campaigns. However, the reason this for this game's persistent popularity is the multiplayer. Up to 8 players could duke it out via LAN play and Battle.net. The arena maps can range from small corridors to huge aerial and terrain maps. The included map creator also extended the gameplay and allowed gamers to create their own competitive arenas.

Platform: PC, Mac, Nintendo 64 (not that anyone really wants to admit that)

17. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Get the Final Smash! Too bad Sora left out the Justin Bailey cheat ;)

With this entry all three iterations of Nintendo’s King of the Hill fighter makes the VGChartz Top 100 Games of All Time. It also seems that VGChartz community agrees that with each iteration this series gets better and better. Brawl offers the best of its two precursors and none of the headaches. All the exploits that plagued Melee are gone and the slow tempo of the original has been adjusted. This game also has amazing new stage designs that are more interactive than the previous two. Other improvements include an online mode and stage builder and literally thousands of collectibles. Also much improved is the single player campaign as the story-driven Subspace Emissary was added to this installment. Many fans of the franchise feel that Brawl is the most complete and polished title in the series.

Platform: Wii

16. Metroid Prime

Our 3D heroine Stunning enviroment

Many were apprehensive about Metriod Prime when it was revealed. Fans of the series questioned whether or not Metroid could successfully make the jump from two dimensions to three. Early drama in development did nothing to quell these fears as the developer, Retro Studios, had massive layoffs and Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto had the original 3rd person design scrapped in favor of a 1st person design. But in November of 2002, Retro showed the world that Metroid was a series primed for the 3rd dimension. The world of Tallon IV was brought to life with lush environments that varied from a lava zone to an arctic tundra. The gameplay was both a fresh take on FPS games and reminiscent of classic 2D games like Super Metroid. This game offered avid fans of the long-lasting franchise everything they wanted in a modern sequel.

Platform: Nintendo GameCube, Wii (as New Play Control and as Metriod Trilogy in North America)

15. GoldenEye 007

GoldenEye 007 menu The best way to spy is with an automatic and leaving a trail of bloody evidence

You remember this game. Even if you never played GoldenEye 007, you remember it because so many console FPS games take after it. This is the title that showcased what was possible with a console FPS. Split screen multiplayer was the big innovation that set this game apart. Four player deathmatch was some of the most incredible gaming many VGChartz members experienced. GoldenEye may not be the best console shooter, but it’s the first one to do everything right. The arenas were huge with many secrets, tight corridors, and tons of weaponry. The multiplayer had many customization options and loads of secret cheats to augment the experience. In addition to the rocking multiplayer, GoldenEye had a solid single player that followed the movie’s plot.

Platform: Nintendo 64

14. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

It's Majora's Mask You will be playing as young link the whole game.

Majora’s Mask was designed to be a follow-up to the massively successful Ocarina of Time. However, this game turned out to be one of the biggest departures from the Zelda universe to date. The game chronicles Link’s journey to a place called Termina days before it’s destroyed by an apocalyptic event. By time traveling between these three days multiple times, Link is able to affect the future and ultimately stave off the apocalypse. What is really fascinating is the detail of the world and its inhabitants. This game showed unprecedented detail to supporting characters and tracked their scripted lives through all 3 days that could be traversed; it also kept track of changes to the space/time continuum made by Link’s actions. This added a new dimension to the world as completing tasks and quests would have profound effects on how the three days unfold after traveling back to the beginning of Day 1. Majora’s Mask is a great game that feels nothing like its predecessors and doesn’t suffer from being under Ocarina of Time’s shadow.

Platform: Nintendo 64, Virtual Console

13. Metal Gear Solid

A great boss battle! Spoiler Alert?

This is Hideo Kojima’s masterpiece that took the premise of a childhood game, hide and go seek, and made it awesome. Metal Gear Solid was released at a time when violence and gunplay were considered the only way to have fun. Kojima had a different idea. MGS focuses on stealth and confrontation avoidance, and it does it well. The production values of Metal Gear Solid were also unprecedented; it featured high quality voice acting and narrative. Also, the game has some of the most classic boss battles in the medium, which continue to influence games in the current generation.

Platform: PlayStation, Nintendo Gamecube (as Twin Snakes)

12. Chrono Trigger

A boss battle Another boss battle

Chrono Trigger is the RPG otaku’s 16-bit paramour. This game has iconic characters designed by legendary artist, Akira Toriyama, who is known for DragonBall and the Dragon Quest games. The game also featured an innovative active-time battle system that kept the action going without ever falling into a turn-based lull. Also, the gripping story line broke the rules of time and space but weaved a brilliant narrative will never be forgotten by gamers. The variety of settings and set-pieces is also outstanding, ranging from a prehistoric tribal town to a post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Platform: Super Nintendo, Nintendo DS, PlayStation (as FF:Chronicles)

11. Final Fantasy X

I think everyone has seen this picture They will not be smiling as soon as they start actually playing Blitzball

This game is memorable because it showed the world the technical leap that the sixth generation made possible. Squaresoft developed a stellar presentation with great voice acting and impressive full motion videos and one of the most emotional stories in gaming. Each character in this game is brought to life in a way that had not happened before in video games. Very few games can raise the bar on so many levels in both gameplay and presentation. Final Fantasy X's mythology was so loved that it was the first to merit a sequel.

Platform: PlayStation 2

Resident Evil 4 is way to high, I had that game and it was good but no way in the top 10 games ever.

It was the best game I'd ever played when it was released, I lost count of the number of playthroughs I got out of it. Of all the games I've played only San Andreas rates higher, not one game on the 360 even comes close to those two. God of War 3 on the PS3 might top them though.

It was the best game I'd ever played when it was released, I lost count of the number of playthroughs I got out of it. Of all the games I've played only San Andreas rates higher, not one game on the 360 even comes close to those two. God of War 3 on the PS3 might top them though.

I agree with all of this. RE4 is a sensational game. Problem is, it's also really really easy. God of War 1 + 2 were out of this world. They really stretched the limits of what the PS2 was capable of.

GTA4 is better than San Andreas though in my opinion. San Andreas was just that little bit too involving. I'd have liked it more if they'd jibbed off all of the shit about having to eat and drink, and building up muscle mass and all of that rubbish.

Ocarina of Time will never be beaten. Just spent half an hour watching it on youtube (some mad fucker completes it in 5 hours!). I remember waiting and waiting for that game for months as a kid and amazingly it was even better than expected. The black case, gold cartridge.....the water temple, the amazing thrill of being able to do what ever the fuck you wanted in a huge world and the awe of Hyrule field.....my God i forgot how much i loved that game as kid, it was my life for weeks on end! A true work of art that has never been bettered, just fucking stunning.

There doesn't seem to be a single Saturn or Dreamcast game on this list.

I know the console didn't sell well, but the Dreamcast had some brilliant games - off the top of my head Jet Grind Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Samba de Amigo and the 2k sports franchises. And brilliant ports of Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, House of the Dead, Hydro Thunder...

And the Saturn for all it's broken promises still gave us NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun.

And I didn't see Loderunner, International Karate, Chakan, Super Metroid, Contra III - Alien Wars on the list either. Fuck I remember Alien Wars was hard as hell.

Edited by Sandman

• 2 months later...