You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Steven Gerrard struggles to have the complete love of the Kop

Nomad

Crap article, even if he is a Liverpool supporter.

Like many, I was pretty disappointed with the Chelsea shennanigans, but I think he has done more than enough to redeem himself. He has carried the team at times - yes, I know others play their part, but when you're looking for someone to rescue us from the deep doodoo we frequently find ourselves in, who do you look to? And I think him being a local lad playing for his hometown team does mean a lot to him. I wouldn't swap him for any other player in the world, even Messi. If as looks likely he finishes his career at LFC for me he will be top of the tree, even above the King.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be above Dalglish he would have to win a lot more trophies and go on to be a successful manager for us. He is probably the most complete player to ever play for Liverpool though, and certainly one of the most complete players I have seen. They used to say of Pele that he could play any position in the Brazil team better than any of the other players, and whilst that isn't quite true of Gerrard and Liverpool he would certainly give them all a fight for their places.

I love him to bits and all that Chelsea stuff had far more to it than most people know. The lad was a complete mess during the whole episode. He had he Doctor at his house twice due to severe panic attacks he was suffering whilst it was going on.

I think it become fashionable to not really like our captain somewhere along the line.

Is right Fugitive. There was all sorts going on, juiced up gangsters chasing him home and terrorising him to the extent he needed a "fixer" to stop it, the divorce of his parents, the fact that we did look pretty shit at times. The lad aint a saint, but who is perfect? He's the greatest player to pull on a red shirt and he busts his fucking gut out there on that pitch. He's the most professional footballer I've ever seen actually. Even above our Lord Jesus Carragher.

And lets not forget the small matter that HE DIDN'T GO.

I'm fed up of having this argument because it just sickens me to my stomach.

Is right Fugitive. There was all sorts going on, juiced up gangsters chasing him home and terrorising him to the extent he needed a "fixer" to stop it, the divorce of his parents, the fact that we did look pretty shit at times. The lad aint a saint, but who is perfect? He's the greatest player to pull on a red shirt and he busts his fucking gut out there on that pitch. He's the most professional footballer I've ever seen actually. Even above our Lord Jesus Carragher.

I owe you much rep... or did you neg me the other night?

Either way - good post.

Is right Pete. I lost something for him after the Chelsea shite, but his performances and conduct since have won me back 5 times over. Pisses me off just how much people take him for granted. He's carried us on numerous occasions, and i mean literally dragged us kicking and screaming to cup wins and whatever else. Some people slag the lad off and consider him to have had a bad game, basically just because he hasn't score a last minute winner or a 30yard screamer. That says it all. He's irreplaceable.

I'm a massive admirer of Gerrard; his ability , maturity and dedication cannot be understated. That said his behaviour in the 04/05 season and , in particular, the 06/07 season were most unbecoming of a a Liverpool captain. It's not surprising that people find it difficult to warm to him.

They said that about numerous previous players as well, we'd of survived.

We've survived much worse have we not?

To be honest, no. I don't think so. Losing Gerrard would have been the beginning of the end of Liverpool as a football power.

I don't mean because he's a great player. We would have sold the bit of class in our side and we wouldn't have been able to lure anymore to join us.

Gone are the days when the shield on the front of the shirt means everything.

We would have had less chance than Tottenham of winning trophies and the top players like Torres would have not wanted to join us.

Guest Francie Brady
Not so sure.

I think he'll go into the punditry side of football, go the way of Shearer and Co.

would make sense if he did it easy money with less preasure

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
To be honest, no. I don't think so. Losing Gerrard would have been the beginning of the end of Liverpool as a football power.

I don't mean because he's a great player. We would have sold the bit of class in our side and we wouldn't have been able to lure anymore to join us.

We would have had less chance than Tottenham of winning trophies and the top players like Torres would have not wanted to join us.

Lance

With the greatest respect

That is fucking nonsense

I totally disagree... Liverpool in quick succession selling Owen and Gerrard would have been the end.

edit: Top players want to play with Top Players and realise their ambitions.

Considering we went on to win the European Cup without Owen, and many people say that Alonso was brought to replace Gerrard. I would say it's an over the top claim.

Considering we went on to win the European Cup without Owen, and many people say that Alonso was brought to replace Gerrard. I would say it's an over the top claim.

Instanbul would never happen without Gerrard, despite Alonso, and Athens wouldn't have happened without Gerrard.

Alonso could never replace Gerrard.

Lance

With the greatest respect

That is fucking nonsense

I didnt even have to reply

I'm starting to think that as Liverpool fans we need some real humbling before we start supporting and appreciating our team/club unconditionally as once we did. We've never, in a football results sense, been truly down at the bottom. Many no longer believe they just sort of just expect.

Gerrard is a one off a brilliant brilliant footballer.