You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who didn't think Dirk was MOTM today doesn't have a fucking clue or have/hold a grudge against the bloke. He was far and away, head and shoulders above anyone out there (closely followed by Reira & Mascherano) and thoroughly deserves the plaudits tonight. I'm not his biggest fan, but today he was awesome. The number of headers he won today was outstanding and I'm delighted for him, considering the rough ride he gets.

The only thing missing from Dirk's performance today was a goal. He had a few sniffs, especially when their goalie muffed up the cross in the first half.

The only criticism I have is that, in the first half, it seemed that he and Benayoun were straying into the same space, getting into each others way. Sometimes they would try to play their way out of it with some neat flicks. More often than not, it didn't work. This seems to be a perennial problem when both of them are on the pitch at the same time.

Aside from that, he was IMMENSE. I can't believe some of the stuff written above. He harried the ManUre back line to death. By the end of the game, he was starting attacks from the centre, inside our half, and then popping on the right wing, near their penalty box. I thought there were 2 Kuyts on the field, for a minute.

And nice composure to pick out Babel for the goal. All in all, a bloody good performance.

He did really well today. I said to aws today that I think Dirk is a 3/4 player. He'll do something fantastic and then it'll go awry right at the end or he'll fuck up and try like hell to put it right. But he rarely gets the full package right and that's his biggest problem. He should've scored today, probably twice, and I thought he and Yossi provided a lot of support where possible.

MOTM to me is crazy. Kuyt, in my opinion, was very poor today. I've seen him have far better games. His poor touches lost the ball on at least ten or more occassions. I don't mind a player losing possesion trying something but he gives it up just trapping the ball.

His movement was good today and created space. However, I thought that we dominated the game in midfield and should have scored far more. Our goals also came from two glaring defensive errors, they were not 'created' by a bit of skill or invention.

Excellent squad player but if anyone suggests that he is of starting quality, they are seriously deluded. Name any midfielder or forward in the other top four teams with less technical ability than Kuyt. It's not possible and not even close.

...I thought he and Yossi provided a lot of support where possible.

That's why they've both (Yossi and Kuyt) started a lot of games I reckon. Yossi isn't afraid to get stuck in and his tackle put Carrick out of the game, I think the defensive side of his game is underestimated sometimes. When Mascherano was away Kuyt and Yossi helped to fill in the gaps. They both help support in attack as well but I expect to see Babel and Riera challenge more for starting places soon. It'll be interesting to see the starting line up when everyone is fit.

AussieRed - I can only assume you're both biased against Dirk and suffering from TV-from-a-distance-in-a-pub-itis... Kuyt was the main guy who stood up to be counted when we went a goal down, and was a threat and a major pain in the arse to their back 4 for much of the game. As he tired his first touch went a bit shit, 2 or 3 examples in the last quarter of the match, but otherwise he had a cracking game. Should've scored mind... Wouldn't give him MOTM, that despite his errors would have to go to Mascherano, with Riera, Kuyt, Arbeloa, Xabi up there too. Thought Yossi did really well too.

I have been negged a ridiculous amount of times for my opinions on Kuyt but I thought he played well today to be fair to him. I've never doubted his worth in games against the big teams who will have more possession as he chases every lost cause and puts himself about, my gripe with him is when we play the lesser teams who stick ten men behind the ball as I think we should be doing more work with the ball than without it on such occasions.

Excellent squad player but if anyone suggests that he is of starting quality, they are seriously deluded. Name any midfielder or forward in the other top four teams with less technical ability than Kuyt. It's not possible and not even close.

I can't name a single player in any side whom puts in as much effort as Dirk. I cant think of a single player whom wouldn't be improved by having Dirk's mentality either...

That sort of thing rubs off on players. So basically, Dirk makes out squad better when he plays.

AussieRed - I can only assume you're both biased against Dirk and suffering from TV-from-a-distance-in-a-pub-itis... Kuyt was the main guy who stood up to be counted when we went a goal down, and was a threat and a major pain in the arse to their back 4 for much of the game. As he tired his first touch went a bit shit, 2 or 3 examples in the last quarter of the match, but otherwise he had a cracking game. Should've scored mind... Wouldn't give him MOTM, that despite his errors would have to go to Mascherano, with Riera, Kuyt, Arbeloa, Xabi up there too. Thought Yossi did really well too.

I may be the latter but I am certainly not biased against Kuyt. I'll support him as long as he has a red shirt on. I love hustling effort players. I was always a huge fan of Heskey for the same reason. But, effort is not enough Tevez and even Rooney work just as hard as Kuyt but are of a level above. I don't believe that forwards have to be your best goals scorers either. I just think that Kuyt gets praised on this board in unrealistic ways. Love him as a player and a man but to say he is Liverpool quality is an insult to the other players that have pulled on the shirt and played his position.

You have to give it to Dirk he played really well, apart from the 2 missses especially the last miss and if Rooney had scored with that shot at the end it would have totally different.

But hats off to him he was outstanding and if only starts scoring some of the chances he would be great.

But for me the Chief has to be MOM.

He did really well today. I said to aws today that I think Dirk is a 3/4 player. He'll do something fantastic and then it'll go awry right at the end or he'll fuck up and try like hell to put it right. But he rarely gets the full package right and that's his biggest problem. He should've scored today, probably twice, and I thought he and Yossi provided a lot of support where possible.

That's very true that, Jules. The reason I had him 3rd in my MOTM nominations is because the difference in his effectiveness when playing through the middle was palpable. He didn't set the world on fire, but what he offered was so much more useful to the team when playing up front. I reckon he gave Ferdinand and Vidc the toughest game they've had in a good while yesterday just by being Dirk. When he plays up front - and especially when partnered by a player with pace as he was yesterday - he strengths are maximised and his faults (which are glaring, in my view) are greatly diminished in significance.

I think that he'd play progressively much, much better if he regularly started up front: his confidence would return, he'd gain a bit of much needed composure and subsequently get a few more goals. However, I can't see him getting many starts up there, which is a shame for him as he's clearly, in my opinion, just filling time on the right until a better player becomes available for that slot.

That's very true that, Jules. The reason I had him 3rd in my MOTM nominations is because the difference in his effectiveness when playing through the middle was palpable. He didn't set the world on fire, but what he offered was so much more useful to the team when playing up front. I reckon he gave Ferdinand and Vidc the toughest game they've had in a good while yesterday just by being Dirk. When he plays up front - and especially when partnered by a player with pace as he was yesterday - he strengths are maximised and his faults (which are glaring, in my view) are greatly diminished in significance.

I think that he'd play progressively much, much better if he regularly started up front: his confidence would return, he'd gain a bit of much needed composure and subsequently get a few more goals. However, I can't see him getting many starts up there, which is a shame for him as he's clearly, in my opinion, just filling time on the right until a better player becomes available for that slot.

I dont think it`s that easy. Remember last season? He played up front until we switched systems in february. Then it seemed like the burden of goalscoring responsibility drained him for all of his confidence, and it was`nt until he was moved to the right he experienced a new lease of life, and his confidence returned.

Yesterdays performance was very good. But not really any better than when we lost 1-0 to the O`Shea goal at Anfield, where Bellamy battered Vidic all match through, and at Old Trafford when Rio Ferdinand won it injury time. The difference was that yesterday we experienced our first slice of luck ( the kind of luck that has won the mancs most of their wins against us ) against them.

Had we drew or lost yesterday, Kuyt working just as hard, and played just as well as he did would still had been the big villain for missing 2 chances when it was almost easier to score. He did make his presence felt yesterday, but in my opinion his lack of coolness in front of goal will always be a problem from him when played up front.

That beeing said he is much better up front than on the right in a regular 4-4-2. Should he be played on the right it should be in the 4-2-3-1 system that serves us so well last season.

I dont think it`s that easy. Remember last season? He played up front until we switched systems in february. Then it seemed like the burden of goalscoring responsibility drained him for all of his confidence, and it was`nt until he was moved to the right he experienced a new lease of life, and his confidence returned.

Yesterdays performance was very good. But not really any better than when we lost 1-0 to the O`Shea goal at Anfield, where Bellamy battered Vidic all match through, and at Old Trafford when Rio Ferdinand won it injury time. The difference was that yesterday we experienced our first slice of luck ( the kind of luck that has won the mancs most of their wins against us ) against them.

Had we drew or lost yesterday, Kuyt working just as hard, and played just as well as he did would still had been the big villain for missing 2 chances when it was almost easier to score. He did make his presence felt yesterday, but in my opinion his lack of coolness in front of goal will always be a problem from him when played up front.

That beeing said he is much better up front than on the right in a regular 4-4-2. Should he be played on the right it should be in the 4-2-3-1 system that serves us so well last season.

Of course it's not that easy. However, as far as I'm concerned, it's now proven beyond doubt that he doesn't offer enough from the right, regardless of the formation. Yesterday was telling for me in that it offered a glimpse of a possible partial redemption for him in the squad; a role that is better suited both to his own game and those of his colleagues. I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be first choice regardless of where he plays, but I believe he'd be much more effective if used through the middle than on the right. Hardly revelatory, I know - he's a centre forward. However, it's still worth saying.

He was absolutely abysmal today except for one or two touches. How many times do we lose possession because of him? Fucking hell. Yes he set a goal up, but I wonder how many nailed on chances or other goals we would have had if he'd managed to retain possession rather than give it away or allow it to roll out as he did most of the time? At the very top level, you just can't be so profligate and get away with it every week. A top quality striker would have put at least one of the chances that fell to him away too.

We won despite Kuyt today, not because of it. Man of the match - for fucks sake. I'm happy to praise him when he does well, but he was awful today.

Could not agree more, constantly gave the ball away, poor first touches all over the place and the two chances he missed was like criminal offences.

Piss poor.

Kuyt MOTM? Fucking hell.

I thought the way he kept losing the ball time and again was very detrimental to our attacking play. That and not scoring a couple of the biggest chances of the game.

He works hard of course, just like most of our other players yesterday like Keane, Alonso, Mascherano etc.

Nice pass to Babel for the winner, but I'd be reluctant to give Kuyt more credit than Mascherano for the build up.

People who suggest he should play regularly up front for us really need their head tested. Or their memory.