You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My cat's ashes

Redder Lurtz

First of all, thanks all for your messages about Arthur the fat cat who died on Wednesday night. I was absolutely gutted. Still am.

Ex Mrs Lurtz left Arthur with the vet after he'd died and she's going back at the weekend to collect his ashes. We don't know exactly what to do with them. I had an idea that I might get a nice Acer or something for my balcony and mix some of his ashes in with the soil. Ex Mrs Lurtz isn't so keen though as she doesn't want to split them and I think she wants to put them on the garden at ex Lurtzy Towers, where Arthur lived a fine old life as master of all he surveyed. She does realise that, of Arthur and his brother Ernie, Arthur was always my cat. He'd gleefully ignore ex Mrs Lurtz in order to come and sit on me instead.

I can't be doing with a row about it. Anyone got a reasonable solution?

To be honest I didn't even know you could get your pet's ashes back from the vet. What do people normally do with them? I did suggest to ex Mrs Lurtz that she mix them in with Ernie's food over the next few weeks but she wasn't keen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a spot near where he used to hang out and scatter them. Scattering is better than burying the urn.

Problem with that is that he rarely left the garden at former Lurtzy Towers where ex Mrs Lurtz still resides. It was hard leaving him behind when we split up and I'd really like to have a part of him with me.

Say you’ll go round to help scatter the ashes in the garden. Suggest you have a nice cup of tea first. She’ll then need a piss, because women have no bladder control (especially once having kids), then you can do a cheeky switcheroo with the bag of sand you’ve cleverly brought with you. Jobs done.

Either that or kill her.

I heard they just sling em all in together at the vets in one big "bomby" - so to speak

Chances are you might be scattering the ashes of one of his biggest enemies

right there in his own garden , for evermore.

Hope this doesnt offend.

Scatter the ashes at ex Lurtzy Towers. Your cat obviously had many lovely moments there, so that seems the right place. Plus it is not worth having an argument about with the ex Mrs Lurtz. I don't know what went on between you that led to the split, but if you can bring yourself to do it, I think it best to go with what she would like to do on this one. Losing a pet is a very sad thing, at it doesn't need the added aggro of an argument on top.

Be happy that he was your cat and clearly loved you. You have the memories of that, and where you put the ashes won't change those memories.

Scatter the ashes at ex Lurtzy Towers. Your cat obviously had many lovely moments there, so that seems the right place. Plus it is not worth having an argument about with the ex Mrs Lurtz. I don't know what went on between you that led to the split, but if you can bring yourself to do it, I think it best to go with what she would like to do on this one. Losing a pet is a very sad thing, at it doesn't need the added aggro of an argument on top.

Be happy that he was your cat and clearly loved you. You have the memories of that, and where you put the ashes won't change those memories.

I hear what you're saying GR but do you think it would be wrong to split the ashes? I know we're not talking about people here. I know he was only a cat but he gave me a lot of pleasure and it would be nice to sit on the balcony in the sun with my favourite pet helping to add life to my acer.

I hear what you're saying GR but do you think it would be wrong to split the ashes? I know we're not talking about people here. I know he was only a cat but he gave me a lot of pleasure and it would be nice to sit on the balcony in the sun with my favourite pet helping to add life to my acer.

Red , when you say a lot of pleasure, just exactly what are you saying?

Ashes?? For a fucking cat?? Jesus.

Lurtzy, you should eat the ashes and then go shit the remains of your cat onto a neighbour's garden - obviously expecting the neighbour to clean up the mess. It's what Arthur would do if roles were reversed.

Tea all over pc screen , cheers.

Ashes?? For a fucking cat?? Jesus.

Lurtzy, you should eat the ashes and then go shit the remains of your cat onto a neighbour's garden - obviously expecting the neighbour to clean up the mess. It's what Arthur would do if roles were reversed.

You're probably right mate. And he wouldn't have buried it either, just left a steaming great pile of Lurtzash turd in the middle of the lawn.

I don't think it is wrong to split the ashes per se, but given the circumstance you described (ex doesn't want to do this) then I think it best to let it go, even if the cat was more your pet. If you force the issue with your ex, chances are various other things that went wrong between you will cloud the whole issue, and you'll end up having a big bust up that will only add to your sadness over the cat. Much better at the outset to be generous towards your ex and not fight for your preference here.

I don't think it is wrong to split the ashes per se, but given the circumstance you described (ex doesn't want to do this) then I think it best to let it go, even if the cat was more your pet. If you force the issue with your ex, chances are various other things that went wrong between you will cloud the whole issue, and you'll end up having a big bust up that will only add to your sadness over the cat. Much better at the outset to be generous towards your ex and not fight for your preference here.

As usual you're correct, on this occasion to the point of being irritatingly right.

How about JJ's idea? I don't suppose you could find any way of agreeing that killing her would solve my predicament?

Borrow your shovel, pardre?

Negged

Would neg you if I hadn't negged you so much already recently.

If you don't like it, stay out of the thread.

Thank you.

Just for the record i did not add the " death to tory cats" tag.

As you were.

Negged for taking the woman's side. :telloff:

Guest TK-421

If it was my cat I'd scatter the ashes wherever it grew up, i.e my Mum's garden. My cat is 94 in people years (17 in cat or something) but is still going strong. He has a bit of constipation and sleeps all day, but is on some pills from the vet and is expected to live on for a while yet. When the time comes I'll ask Mum to scatter his ashes in the garden at home. He is the greatest cat/pet of all time, so much personality, but everyone says that about their pets.

You don't need a physical reminder, Lurtz. You've got all the great cat memories and they'll be there for as long as you are. I'd do what G Richards suggests.