You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal CL First Leg match thread

Mate, he was playing away from home in the quarter final of the Champions' League against a far superior team who had nearly all the ball at the age of 19. Give him a break, eh.

Babel's 21 isn't he?

I know what you mean though, he is a young lad and you can't expect him to go there and destroy them just yet. I think we can expect more than he gave us tonight though, myself.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're entitled to your opinion, but I happen to disagree. Crouch would have been dead weight because we were playing too deep. You might say Voronin was dead weight as well, and that's fair comment, but in principle it was the right sub.

Is absolutely correct. As was Rafa. Crouch, without Pennant on the right and Stevie providing from DM wouldn't been any good.

Would have taken a 1-1 at the start so great result. But feck me, shyte zonal marking yet again (oh yes it is!) and talk about backs to the wall.

Bullshit, do you think Sami did the right thing? The zonal marking system works if your defenders ATTACK THE BALL. That is all.

On a mention about the defence i thought they were superb tonight.

Everyone was worried about the pace of Arsenal and how would we cope but all four of the defenders were very good tonight and especially Carragher was fucking immense at full back.

Personally Crouch would have been the choice for me instead of Voronin due to the fact we were clearing our lines well and Crouch is better at holding the ball up and allowing our midfielders join in.

Its all water under the bridge though as im just concentrating on the fact that we come away still well in the tie and if the young Arsenal team think they have experience because they have played in the San Siro and Anfield before they have not witnessed anything like Anfield on a european night.

I wouldn't call Voronin anywhere fit, and I didn't mind the Alonso sub. I think we should've just left Torres on, he can score from anywhere around the area. It wouldn't have been as bad if it was Crouch who came on, but it wasn't.

Despite his achievements this season you're overrating the lad. Sure, he might be the best forward in the world right now, but he's not gonna be half as good in the 80th minute as in the 1th - nobody is. Voronin, on the other hand, got the world to prove (not saying he did, but it was a correct and brave decision from Rafa)

Still not 100% sure about Skrtel, great tackler but he got pulled way out of position two or three times. Can't wait for Agger to come back.

You're wrong about everyting...

Just want to give a big shout to Skrtel as well, who is growing every game.

While you got it all right.

Just my sentiments. However, Skrtel was amazing tonight. He was all over the place, and whenever he made a mistake he sorted it out - Masch style. No messing about. What a lad! Even a threat on set pieces.

Despite his achievements this season you're overrating the lad. Sure, he might be the best forward in the world right now, but he's not gonna be half as good in the 80th minute as in the 1th - nobody is. Voronin, on the other hand, got the world to prove (not saying he did, but it was a correct and brave decision from Rafa)

I'm not over rating him, it'd be like taking Gerrard off. He always has the chance to create, or score something out of nothing. I just think it was a stupid decision with 5-6 minutes left - its not like its going to help him. Its especially grating because it was Voronin, a guy who shouldn't even be on the bench atm.

What is your problem with Kuyt? All you focus on is the negatives, how about the novel approach of supporting the players or is that beyond you. He ran is arse off tonight. So what he was involved in a penalty incident, did it scare you? Deal with it. You have a go at me for going on about how good he is, well take a look at yourself and realise that all you've done on this thread is bitch about Kuyt.

What a great result by the way, not over by any means but considering the pressure we were under in the second half we've done well to come away with a score draw. Proud of them all.

You mean the part where I said he played well, which you quoted isn't the novel appoach of supporting the players?

He was interviewed on Sky and said it wasn't a penalty, I say he is wrong it is/was a penalty.

For the record, I bitch about him in 1 thread, saying he shouldn't try and give away a penalty, but in the post you quote, I even says he played well.

Now go back, look at the bitching I have done about kuyt, in 1 thread, then compare to each post you put in 100's of threads about how he is the greatest in world.

deal with it.

I've said fuck all about him apart from cheering the goal tonight since you made that comment, even though dickheads continue to slate him and argue that he should be sold/dropped/shot at dawn. I think I've shown remarkable restraint. Over and out.

Yes by having a go at me, when I say he play well and just question one thing he did in the match, I agree, remarkable constraint.

It isn't though, his subs were a bit strange tonight apart from Lucas for Alonso. He just seemed to put two lightweight players on, and fat boy.

We know you do not rate voronin, any need to continue saying it? You're more repetitive than Rashid.

I did think Voronin had one shithouse moment right at the end by the way, when he let a pass go past him and didn't chase it down, causing one of our players (Gerrard or Aurelio?) to get a knock trying to make the tackle on the sideline. Must admit I was cursing him at the time.

Babel should be fearless at his age... seriously.. this lad needs a shrink.

I just don't think he's very good to be honest, just my opinion like. I thought we did really well tonight, thought Torres lead the line magnificently and Skrtel, Kuyt and Gerrard also excelled, i was extremely dissapointed with Voronin coming on instead of Crouch, quite why Benitez treats Crouch like dog shit i'll never know but hey, that's life. This tie is far from over though, engage in back slapping at your peril.

I'm not over rating him, it'd be like taking Gerrard off. He always has the chance to create, or score something out of nothing. I just think it was a stupid decision with 5-6 minutes left - its not like its going to help him. Its especially grating because it was Voronin, a guy who shouldn't even be on the bench atm.

I see where you're coming from but I just cant agree. Torres clearly needed the rest. He'd worked his ass of the whole game and was starting to hang head - as was the rest of the team - the balls he had to work on was really unfair, though ones. Any substitute would have done it, but Voro was especially suited since he's a "running" forward that suits the system and not a target player like Crouch. It's correct that Voro didn't achieve but on paper it was Rafas best option. 10 mins to laborate, can't slag him off.

So Torres should feel pissed off because he was taken off for Voronin and not Crouch??

Some whoppers on here but you lead the way tonight!

Guest TK-421
You mean the part where I said he played well, which you quoted isn't the novel appoach of supporting the players?

Yes by having a go at me, when I say he play well and just question one thing he did in the match, I agree, remarkable constraint.

Alright then, since we're playing the quoting game:-

He (Kuyt) defo needs to be villified for the missed header, as does Babel for his. We should have scored those and closed the game much earlier.

Both him and Babel needs to be much more clinical. The missed header looked suspiciously like he closed his eyes before trying to head it

So why does he need to be vilified for missing a header, or Babel for that matter?

I just don't think he's very good to be honest, just my opinion like. I thought we did really well tonight, thought Torres lead the line magnificently and Skrtel, Kuyt and Gerrard also excelled, i was extremely dissapointed with Voronin coming on instead of Crouch, quite why Benitez treats Crouch like dog shit i'll never know but hey, that's life. This tie is far from over though, engage in back slapping at your peril.

I think he is a good player who needs to be waken a little bit. He simply has no confidence and his final ball suffers. He is at his best when he doesn't have to think....!