You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal CL First Leg match thread

TOURE: LIVERPOOL WILL BE SCARED

Posted 31/03/08 15:14EmailPrintSave

Kolo Toure insists Liverpool will be running scared of facing Arsenal after the Merseysiders were put to the sword on three occasions last season.

Dear KoloKunt,

Look at our squad. You will notice Jerzy Dudek is not playing.

The Gunners host the first leg of the all-Barclays Premier League affair on Wednesday in what will be a run of three matches against the Reds, with a domestic fixture at Emirates Stadium to come in between on Saturday.

But while Toure accepts Arsenal are in for a battle against their English adversaries, he remains confident Arsene Wenger's side have the mental edge on them.

"It is an exciting tie," said Toure. "Last season we played them four times (meeting in the FA and Carling Cups as well as the league) and we showed how strong we were - we beat them in three of those games.

"It is going to be really tight, we know that, but we have the quality and I think they will be scared to play against us.

"We need to show them that we have continued to improve and are even stronger than last season."

Toure added in the April edition of the official Arsenal magazine: "We are used to playing against them, so we know we are in for a battle."

Team-mate Cesc Fabregas is determined to get past Liverpool and then Chelsea or Fenerbahce to realise his dream of playing in another Champions League final with Arsenal.

However, Fabregas is not so keen on the prospect of an all-English climax to the tournament.

Fabregas, speaking to Spanish radio EFE, said: "Obviously, everybody dreams, but you have to work hard to make dreams become reality. If you stay in bed then you are never going to obtain your dream.

"I am dreaming of playing in another Champions League final. If it is against Barcelona it will be difficult because they have a great team.

"All I want is another chance of playing in a final, whoever that is against. If we won, then in five years' time nobody will care who the opposition was.

"I would have preferred to play a European team. To play in the Champions League against the same players that you play every week and see on the television, well, I would have preferred Barcelona, Madrid, an Italian team.

"But this is what we have been given and we have to deal with it. I am still a youngster here.

"When you look at the team I am still one of the youngest and am still a boy really. I do feel important and for any player that is vital."

Meanwhile, boss Wenger has admitted Diaby deserved his red card at Bolton on Saturday but rejected suggestions the tackle could be compared to the one which left striker Eduardo with a broken leg and a dislocated ankle at Birmingham.

Diaby was sent off after sliding in and catching Gretar Steinsson with his studs raised at the Reebok Stadium.

However, the Arsenal manager insisted Diaby's tackle was not as bad as Martin Taylor's challenge on Eduardo last month or indeed the lunge by Sunderland's Dan Smith which sidelined Diaby for nine months in May 2006.

"I knew the injury [to Steinsson] was not bad," said Wenger.

"Diaby certainly hit him but it was not comparable with what happened (to Eduardo) a few weeks ago. Diaby's tackle was a fraction high but as long the foot is off the ground you cannot complain.

"Diaby was injured and out for nine months but that tackle (from Smith) was very bad.

"It was malicious. Diaby's tackle was not malicious but your intention does not count. It is where your foot is that counts."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to go all Djibbers here---

Fuck off Wenger. That'd be Red Card Wenger.

Seriuosly, if we don't send these cunts crashing out I will walk on the tundra and not be back for a very long time. I will be snacking on Sir John Franklin's fucking bone marrow.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toure: Reds are scared of Gunners | Liverpool | English Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Kolo Toure insists Liverpool will be scared of facing Arsenal after the Merseysiders were put to the sword on three occasions last season.

The Gunners host the first leg of the all-Premier League affair on Wednesday in what will be a run of three matches against the Reds, with a domestic fixture at Emirates Stadium to come in between on Saturday.

But while Toure accepts Arsenal are in for a battle against their English adversaries, he remains confident Arsene Wenger's side have the mental edge on them.

"It is an exciting tie," said Toure. "Last season we played them four times (meeting in the FA and Carling Cups as well as the league) and we showed how strong we were - we beat them in three of those games.

"It is going to be really tight, we know that, but we have the quality and I think they will be scared to play against us.

"We need to show them that we have continued to improve and are even stronger than last season."

Toure added in the April edition of the official Arsenal magazine: "We are used to playing against them, so we know we are in for a battle."

Team-mate Cesc Fabregas is determined to get past Liverpool and then Chelsea or Fenerbahce to realise his dream of playing in another Champions League final with Arsenal.

However, Fabregas is not so keen on the prospect of an all-English climax to the tournament.

Fabregas, speaking to Spanish radio EFE, said: "Obviously, everybody dreams, but you have to work hard to make dreams become reality. If you stay in bed then you are never going to obtain your dream.

"I am dreaming of playing in another Champions League final. If it is against Barcelona it will be difficult because they have a great team.

"All I want is another chance of playing in a final, whoever that is against. If we won, then in five years' time nobody will care who the opposition was.

"I would have preferred to play a European team. To play in the Champions League against the same players that you play every week and see on the television, well, I would have preferred Barcelona, Madrid, an Italian team.

"But this is what we have been given and we have to deal with it. I am still a youngster here.

"When you look at the team I am still one of the youngest and am still a boy really. I do feel important and for any player that is vital."

Meanwhile, boss Wenger has admitted Diaby deserved his red card at Bolton on Saturday but rejected suggestions the tackle could be compared to the one which left striker Eduardo with a broken leg and a dislocated ankle at Birmingham.

Diaby was sent off after sliding in and catching Gretar Steinsson with his studs raised at the Reebok Stadium.

However, the Arsenal manager insisted Diaby's tackle was not as bad as Martin Taylor's challenge on Eduardo last month or indeed the lunge by Sunderland's Dan Smith which sidelined Diaby for nine months in May 2006.

"I knew the injury [to Steinsson] was not bad," said Wenger.

"Diaby certainly hit him but it was not comparable with what happened (to Eduardo) a few weeks ago. Diaby's tackle was a fraction high but as long the foot is off the ground you cannot complain.

"Diaby was injured and out for nine months but that tackle (from Smith) was very bad.

"It was malicious. Diaby's tackle was not malicious but your intention does not count. It is where your foot is that counts."[/b]

That's fucking class. He couldn't have said anything better to get us fired up for Wednesday. Reminds me of something Stubbs would say on the Eve of a Derby. Love to see us knock these cunts out The Liverpool Way. 0-0 at the Emirates and 1-0 at Anfield.

These games go with the home side normally i would like to see us attack them from the off i think 1 goal will see us through but they are a weaker side now than at any point we have played them in the last few years so i will go for 2-0 and game over

Beating them 2-0 at the Emirates would be just great, but be serious... they are NOT a weaker side now, and they will run us all the way. (Which is just the way it should be in a CL quarter final.)

I'd be happy to leave north London with a draw.

Just reading some of the shite they are coming out with in the press. Toure says we're scared of them, they beat us three times last season blah blah blah, Fabregas already looking past us and chelsea or fenerbahce to playing in another final.

Can't wait for this. yeah our record away against them is appalling but we are capable of getting a draw there and beating them at home. Toure seems to forget we hammered them 4 nil last season at Anfield and Fabregas is showing a total disregard for our reputation as one of the best teams over 2 legs in European football.

Just reading some of the shite they are coming out with in the press. Toure says we're scared of them, they beat us three times last season blah blah blah, Fabregas already looking past us and chelsea or fenerbahce to playing in another final.

Can't wait for this. yeah our record away against them is appalling but we are capable of getting a draw there and beating them at home. Toure seems to forget we hammered them 4 nil last season at Anfield and Fabregas is showing a total disregard for our reputation as one of the best teams over 2 legs in European football.

Over the last four seasons, I'd say we're not just one of the best; we are the best. Despite the fact that I see them as exceptionally tough opponents (possibly the toughest we've faced in Europe under Rafa), they're making a huge mistake if they underestimate us.

Over the last four seasons, I'd say we're not just one of the best; we are the best. Despite the fact that I see them as exceptionally tough opponents (possibly the toughest we've faced in Europe under Rafa), they're making a huge mistake if they underestimate us.

yes indeed Paul.

what i dont understand (maybe its the blinders) but how in the world can they overlook us. Surely they have learned from our past two semi finals when Chelsea has had a superior squad.

fuck it. let them feel like they are to get through

If we play an english type game, we will get snotted.

Benitez has really got to earn his wedge tomorrow with the tactics.

Agreed. I think his comments after the Manc game about CL referees indicate how he sees this being different to a league encounter.