You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal CL First Leg match thread

The atmosphere will be important on Tuesday and I really, really hope it gets to them. The key is to not let them settle into the game and have all of the ball. We shouldn't go flying out of the traps because that would be dangerous, but we should make it scrappy so that they can't get into a rhythm.

I'd move Carra into the centre alongside Skrtel because the defence is nowhere near as organised when he's not in there. There were a few examples of players wandering into positions and not being offside, and also we were too square AGAIN. Skrtel has done well so far but he gets done with a long, straight ball through the middle much more than he should do.

He needs to keep an eye on the runners a bit better for me.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirk Kuyt, limited footballer that shows up in big matches. Scored in the CL Final, Chelsea last season in the league, Barcelona, penalty in the Chelsea shootout, 2 pens in the derby at Goodison, tonight's goal. Does he score enough? No. Is he limited? Yes. Does he deserve some of the shit he gets thrown his way? No fucking chance.

I'm not saying he should be pissed off you fucking cunt, I'm saying he shouldn't have been taken off in the first place. Six minutes extra rest isn't going to do fuck all for him, now I'd understand if it was Crouch, but Voronin? When was the last time he played? Looks like a complete donkey.

I'm happy right now, but that doesn't mean I can't critcise at half time..

Look mate Torres was pretty much out on his feet by the time he came off . Rafa was just putting fresh legs on to close Arsenal down. We were'nt gonna nick another goal in the last few minutes we were just going to settle for a fantastic 1 - 1 draw and Voronin was going to close them down more than Torres in the last few minutes, it was a little bit of a defensive substitution but it was the right one and it paid off

Look mate Torres was pretty much out on his feet by the time he came off . Rafa was just putting fresh legs on to close Arsenal down. We were'nt gonna nick another goal in the last few minutes we were just going to settle for a fantastic 1 - 1 draw and Voronin was going to close them down more than Torres in the last few minutes, it was a little bit of a defensive substitution but it was the right one and it paid off

I disagree. Torres would've provided far more of a threat than Voronin, closing down or not.

I disagree. Torres would've provided far more of a threat than Voronin, closing down or not.

Thats what you dont understand. we settled for a draw and for the last few minutes Rafa thought Voronin would close their back four down quicker than what Torres would have done for the last couple of minutes, remember Torres just put a good shift in on leading the line on his own.

Dirk Kuyt, limited footballer that shows up in big matches. Scored in the CL Final, Chelsea last season in the league, Barcelona, penalty in the Chelsea shootout, 2 pens in the derby at Goodison, tonight's goal. Does he score enough? No. Is he limited? Yes. Does he deserve some of the shit he gets thrown his way? No fucking chance.

He doesn't deserve to be given any personal stick, but if someone comes out and says 'he's shite' after a terrible performance, then I think it's fair game. It's only an observation at the end of the day.

Nobody would EVER accuse him of not giving his best, which is what you want to see, but when you see him struggling to control a ball in a game where you need to beat a poor side at home (for example), then it's only natural to bemoan the fact that we don't have a better option out wide.

I've always really liked him for his ridiculous (in a good way) work rate but also pointed out his weaknesses, and I think it's fair to do so, because it's only an observation.

Their defense was knackered, so was Torres so he bought on our next quickest striker to see if he could get onto a through ball. It made sense. I like crouch a lot and I'm not a fan or voronin but IT MADE SENSE.

BTW Just how good was Dirk? Even the gooners around me were mentioning it. I can't hear the whimpering tonight. Funny how some Dirk-haters are so confident due to us winning the tie with Dirk MOTM.

I know what you're saying but our next quickest striker is still nothing like as quick as Torres.

I though bringing Crouchy on might have given us a better option to play the ball out to, rather than having it immediately coming back to us every time we tried to clear our lines. We absorbed a lot of pressure during the last 20 minutes but we also invited much of it in the first place.

Opinions, eh?

I know what you're saying but our next quickest striker is still nothing like as quick as Torres.

I though bringing Crouchy on might have given us a better option to play the ball out to, rather than having it immediately coming back to us every time we tried to clear our lines. We absorbed a lot of pressure during the last 20 minutes but we also invited much of it in the first place.

Opinions, eh?

I know he's nowhere as quick as Torres but, a different play, different movement with only 5 mins to go, why not try something new? I doubt neither option would have done a great deal and it just goes to show we need better depth of strikers.

I know he's nowhere as quick as Torres but, a different play, different movement with only 5 mins to go, why not try something new? I doubt neither option would have done a great deal and it just goes to show we need better depth of strikers.

Yep, I'll give you that - they were both viable options. My disatisfaction with Voronin is longstanding and I'll admit it poisons my impartiality at times. Agree with your second point completely.

No chance, I'd have to watch it through on my laptop in the toilets.

I'm ashamed - watched more of the Chelsea game than ours in the second half. Just too much on edge :( I think its much less scary watching from the ground than watching on the telly

I'm ashamed - watched more of the Chelsea game than ours in the second half. Just too much on edge :( I think its much less scary watching from the ground than watching on the telly

No distractions when you're watching it on the telly while sitting on your couch. That may be why you feel that way. I wouldn't know, I've yet to be blessed with the opportunity to travel to England. I do feel similar though when watching the other teams I support.