You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Taxi Tehran (Jafar Panahi) - 8/10

Only ever seen one other Panahi film (Offside, about the girls sneaking into an Iran World Cup qualifier).  Just stumbled across this on iPlayer and loved it.  Simply shot, but brilliantly planned when you think about it considering the constraints he works under these days.  A guided tour of Tehran in several ways. Nothing world-shakingly deep about it, but an interesting and engaging view all the same.  Neorealism, when done well, is as entertaining as anything else in cinema.

Blade of the Immortal.

Some Chinese dude infested with worms (!)  goes fucking mental and smashes the fuck out of hundreds of other Chinese nasty bastards and henchmen, literally chopping the cunts into smithereens. A heartfelt bloodbath and orgy of wanton excess.

About 2 and a half hours long.

7/10 Covenant / Kodi

Watched Gremlins the other day and decided to watch Gremlins 2 for the first time in years. Never realised just how much of parody of the first film it is (even going as far as to take the piss of the Phoebe Cates Santa Claus speech), how much of it is just a series of sketches and how much it's just a Looney Tunes cartoon. The story is so loose, it's basically there just to put the gremlins in a position to do lots of wacky stuff and shoehorn lots of film references. Found it way more fun than I remember and I always liked it a lot. Not sure how Warner Bros. ever let Joe Dante get away with it though.

46373b1767c993d32fa1e53209e72be2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei and Ethan Hawke. Nearly two hours long and it's quite a sad film but it's well acted and an original story. Certainly not going to win any smiles and the ending is super-grim. 8/10.

One of my favourite films. Gripping from start to finish

Fahrenheit 9/11 for the umpteenth time.

Regardless of what you think of Michael Moore (and he does pull a few shenanigans in this one), the facts are what they are. The invasion of Iraq was based on bullshit and lies so the US money men could take control of its oil.

Its mad how it all seems to have been forgotten about now. Trumps an idiot, but he hasn't pulled the kind of shit Bush did.

The Big Lebowski. 8.25/10.

Can't believe I had never seen this film even though I knew of its existence end that I had only heard good things about it. In a way I am glad I hadn't watched it because it was a pleasure to watch when there was fuck all else on.

Speaking of the Coen Brothers, have you seen Barton Fink and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

If not, watch them. They're boss.

• Upvote 2

The Big Lebowski. 8.25/10.

Can't believe I had never seen this film even though I knew of its existence end that I had only heard good things about it. In a way I am glad I hadn't watched it because it was a pleasure to watch when there was fuck all else on.

The bit where the guy is on the phone and draws a picture of a man with a hard on and lebowski thinks he's writing down a number has me in stitches everytime.

The bit where the guy is on the phone and draws a picture of a man with a hard on and lebowski thinks he's writing down a number has me in stitches everytime.

Yeah that was funny but I just found if fucking hilarious that the only thing he wanted in the 1st place was his rug cleaning or replacing.

O' Brother where Art Thou is one of the best films ever made.

I will have to sit down and watch this properly as I watched it years ago and was not paying attention to it. Same with Barton Fink. I have a feeling I'm in for a treat.