You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

***MAY HAVE MINOR SPOILERS***

Just been to see the new Indiana Jones. 

I quite liked and enjoyed it. 

Action packed, the typical odd bit of humour and some nostalgic nods to the previous Indy films, with eels replacing the much feared snakes, the usual crawling through a narrow gap only to be covered with massive insects scene and an ageing Indy recounting all the painful moments that he’s faced in his lengthy career. 

His sidekick, Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Wombat, is a bit annoying but is a passable second fiddle. Mads Mikkelsen is a decent main villain too. Although the child sidekick role is a bit dull and forgettable and doesn’t come anywhere near to reaching the highs of Short Round.

I was really, really enjoying it and thought it was very good up until the section of the film when the main Nazi villain had stolen the Dial of Destiny and kidnapped Indy and took him on the plane to embark on the Nazi blokes raison d’etre for wanting this artefact in the first place. 

But….

It all went a bit daft and shift from thereon in. The main ending scenes are a hot mess. Just all a bit daft and far fetched. Romans? Carthaginians? Syracusans? A little chinwag with Archimedes? The unseen returning to the present day, apparently via a clapped out light aircraft? 

Saying that, I still enjoyed it. And the end scenes with Karen Allen were heartwarming and it felt like a fitting end to an action packed journey that the shit one with the crystal skulls massively failed to deliver. 

A solid 7 out of 10. Probably an 8 if there was a better/less silly ending. 

• Upvote 1

All Quiet On The Western Front.

I’ll stop short of calling it a masterpiece, but it’s not far off. I read the book years ago, but haven’t seen any other dramatisations of it. 

Some of the scenes are deeply affecting. War is a bollocks. 

Thought it was better than 1917, which I also enjoyed. 

8.5/10.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ll stop short of calling it a masterpiece, but it’s not far off. I read the book years ago, but haven’t seen any other dramatisations of it. 

8.5/10.

Is this a new movie or an old one?

On 11/07/2023 at 23:00, Bjornebye said:

Argo - 8.5/10. Seen it before but I’m always on edge at the end. Superb cast and all. 

Did they have to queue for their purchase and carry it out on their shoulder?

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Munich. I've just seen that I gave this 8/10 on here 10 years ago. It's easily a 9. Brilliant film. 

It is a brilliant film.

The scene where Bana is cracking up and sleeps in the wardrobe was incredibly oppressive.

Brilliant direction and acting throughout.

5 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It is a brilliant film.

The scene where Bana is cracking up and sleeps in the wardrobe was incredibly oppressive.

Brilliant direction and acting throughout.

Full of amazing scenes mate. The little girl and the piano scene is unreal. 

On 15/07/2023 at 08:20, YorkshireRed said:

8.5/10.

Agreed mate - better than 1917, but not as good as Dunkirk for me. Loved that film

• Upvote 1

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt1. - 7.5/10.  Enjoyable enough popcorn. Still trying to see what Gabriel”s motivation is. I don’t want anyone trying to answer that as I don’t want any spoilers for others.

18 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Pt1. - 7.5/10.  Enjoyable enough popcorn. Still trying to see what Gabriel”s motivation is. I don’t want anyone trying to answer that as I don’t want any spoilers for others.

Thought it was excellent and I'd push it up another 1.5, to a 9.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I thought it was pretty shit to be honest.

Yesterday.

By the standards of Richard Curtis romcoms, it's probably one of the more bearable.  Some bits are genuinely funny, the central premise is an interesting one to mull over, but where it really works is on the level of a horror film: a world in which The Beatles don't exist, but James Corden and Ed Sheeran do - chilling!

• Upvote 3

Don't Worry Darling 

New one with Harry Styles and Florence Pugh. Absolutely batshit crazy to be honest but I'm giving it a 6 and 5 of them points are for Florence Pugh. She's an absolute darling. Possibly my new Hollywood number 1. 

Pugh

Daisy Edgar-Jones 

Margot Robbie

Jennifer Lawrence

Ana De Armas

Yeah I think that's probably right. Megan Fox deserves a mention. 

I tried to watch a few films on a recent BA flight.

John Wick 4 - Didnt get through it. I know some loved it but up to the point i turned off, it was a 5. A million miles off the brilliance of the first one.

A man called Otto - I may have dozed off at one point, but probably the best film i watched. Perhaps a 7/10. I know some on here said the original was much better.

Batman (1989) - Watched up to the bit where Nicolson turns into the joker and then got interrupted. 6.5/10.

Till - Watched the first 30 mins, then realized i may look like one of those white nights, watching this on a plane full of black people, so turned it off. Unfair to score.

Cocaine Bear - Watched about 40 mins of this whilst people slept, then felt embarrassed as people wok up. It was a fairly silly film, with little going for it, 4/10.

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

I tried to watch a few films on a recent BA flight.

John Wick 4 - Didnt get through it. I know some loved it but up to the point i turned off, it was a 5. A million miles off the brilliance of the first one.

A man called Otto - I may have dozed off at one point, but probably the best film i watched. Perhaps a 7/10. I know some on here said the original was much better.

Batman (1989) - Watched up to the bit where Nicolson turns into the joker and then got interrupted. 6.5/10.

Till - Watched the first 30 mins, then realized i may look like one of those white nights, watching this on a plane full of black people, so turned it off. Unfair to score.

Cocaine Bear - Watched about 40 mins of this whilst people slept, then felt embarrassed as people wok up. It was a fairly silly film, with little going for it, 4/10.

Fucking hell mate, those poor bastards on M370 got off lightly.

• Upvote 1