You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute to Didi

m0e

Worraleg

Total control - that’s the influence of Didi Hamann

Dec 28 2007

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

SINCE leaving his beloved Liverpool for Manchester City in the summer of 2006, Didi Hamann is yet to come up against his former club.

Last season, the ever popular Bavarian was an unused substitute when the two sides met at Anfield – and didn't even make the bench for the return fixture at Eastlands.

No doubt his absence on those occasions was welcomed by everyone at Anfield because they know full well just how good Hamann undoubtedly is.

On Sunday, the Kaiser is likely to go into battle with his former team mates for the first time, having been given a new lease of life by manager Sven Goran Eriksson after a difficult first season, and becoming one of City's most important players.

After making his return to Premiership action against Derby County following a metatarsal injury, Xabi Alonso could be charged with stopping Hamann from having his usual influence on the game.

And, having come under the German's wing during his first year in English football, Alonso knows full well what a tough proposition that will be.

"Didi is a great player, one of the top players I have played with at Liverpool," he said.

"He has a lot of experience and we know all about him – but he knows a lot about us as well.

"I played a lot of games with Didi in my first season at Liverpool and I could really see how he controlled games and how he instinctively knew what to do in certain situations.

"He is a great player who gives great balance to a team."

Hamann made a total of 283 appearances for Liverpool, more often than not providing a platform for other players to thrust forward while he did the midfield dirty work.

Alonso was among those who benefited from playing alongside him, something he is more than happy to admit.

"I really enjoyed playing with Didi because it was easy to play with him," he said.

"He tried to compliment whoever he was playing alongside and do a good job for the team and he was one of those experienced players who are good for the dressing room and who always perform on the pitch.

"He has been one of the key players for Manchester City this season and we will have to keep an eye on him."

Eriksson has certainly been impressed by what he has seen of Hamann so far and is now considering offering a new contract to the man he describes as "the big brother and father of the team," when his current deal expires at the end of this season.

"He organises everything out there," said Eriksson.

"I have been positively surprised how he has kept playing well all season. He is very important to us and has run up and down the pitch, too, winning a lot of possession.

"I suppose his agent will soon knock on the door with regards to next season and I will always open it. We will see what happens, but if he goes on like he has been then he is important to us.

"He is a great calming influence. Didi is a maestro in his position."

Steve Finnan is another Liverpool player who needs no convincing of that, singing from virtually the same hymn sheet as the City boss.

"He was great to play with, a very calming influence on the pitch.

"He has a lot of experience and a lot of quality and that allowed him to control the game and set the pace of the game.

"Certainly, when you're playing against someone like that you have to try and stop them from doing that.

"Didi probably didn't play as much as he would have liked when he first went to City but he is now really important to their team and the way they play.

"He plays in a very important position and he has done really well under Sven Goran Eriksson.

"But it is no surprise to the lads here because we all know how good a player he is from what he did with us at Liverpool."

Finnan has been impressed by City's revival under Eriksson and knows Liverpool will have to produce something approaching their best form if they are to win at Eastlands on Sunday.

"Eriksson is doing a good job there," he said.

"Obviously, he got a bit of criticism after what happened with England, but he has turned City around.

"They had a bit of a disappointing season last year but this time around they've had a great run at home and they've got a good team.

"They're playing good football, they've got some good players and they're scoring a lot of goals.

"Eriksson's really turned things around because last season they had a problem scoring goals and I'm expecting a difficult game because they are playing well and we will have to be better than we were at Derby."

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=total-control-that-8217-s-the-influence-of-didi-hamann%26method=full%26objectid=20293137%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

I think we really missed his experience and influence last season, not only in the big games, but more importantly in the Champs Lg final.

One of my favourite all time players.

One of the best midfielders this club has seen. I love Didi.

Agreed, he always helped to sort the wheat from the chaff during footy conversations too, as in if someone didn't like him - it was because they knew nothing about football.

Chelsea fans would have considered him average if he'd played for them, that's the best compliment I can pay him.

One of the best midfielders this club has seen. I love Didi.

Good shout. I wasn't keen when we first signed him, but once he got a foothold, we were worse off without him in the side. Can't think of an occasion where he ever let us down. Agree about istanbul, he was the reason why we won that game IMO. Nice fella off the pitch as well, never read of anyone who has a bad word to say about him.

Watching the game today made me understand for the first time how absolutely irritating and frustrating it must have been for other teams playing against us with Didi in the side. What an infuriating player -- I'm glad he was ours, or I'd have hated him.

Legend for so many reasons, not least among them having been a part of this picture:

i1476998_Pissup.jpg

Much respect for Kaiser Dietmar Beerswiller the Third