You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucy Henman...

Chris

A fucking shithouse mummy's boy whose failings are made all the more apparent by what Ricky Hatton did in Vegas over the weekend.

Rah rah rah! Fuck off, Timothy!

Isn't what Henman has achieved all the more impressive because he comes from a privileged background? Hatton's only way out was to forge a sporting career, he's got all the motivation he needs right there; Henman could have taken the easy route in life but the fact he's still been able to (almost) reach the top of his sporting profession is a testament to his dedication and determination.

Isn't what Henman has achieved all the more impressive because he comes from a privileged background? Hatton's only way out was to forge a sporting career, he's got all the motivation he needs right there; Henman could have taken the easy route in life but the fact he's still been able to (almost) reach the top of his sporting profession is a testament to his dedication and determination.

Nah, he's just a toff shitbag with nothing to show for the hype that is shovelled his way this time every year. Nice try though......(can't add whistle smiley when editing a post)

Nah, he's just a toff shitbag with nothing to show for the hype that is shovelled his way this time every year. Nice try though......

Well, he reached #4 in the tennis rankings and has earnt almost $12m in prize money over his career. If that's "nothing to show", then what hope do the rest of us have!

But don't let me stop you from peddling your petty class hatred!

Class hatred? Not from me! Maybe his privileged upbringing has robbed him of that gritty will-to-win that would have taken him onto the next level. He's a bloody good tennis player, of that there is no doubt, but he has not got the mental toughness that winners have. How many times has he won Wimbledon? The US Open? The French? The Australian? All the prize money in Dubai is nothing to show compared to the prestige of those four trophies.

Class hatred? Not from me! Maybe his privileged upbringing has robbed him of that gritty will-to-win that would have taken him onto the next level. He's a bloody good tennis player, of that there is no doubt, but he has not got the mental toughness that winners have. How many times has he won Wimbledon? The US Open? The French? The Australian? All the prize money in Dubai is nothing to show compared to the prestige of those four trophies.

I don't think there's any doubt he underachieved during his career; he wasn't helped by Sampras's domination of the sport, or that famous break in play the year that Ivanisevic won it (the year that Henman should have won it). But he's been the best British men's player of the last 40 years, and he deserves credit for putting British tennis back on the map.

(Also, if you don't want to be accused of class hatred, I'd suggest you don't use terms like "toff shitbag" and "rah rah rah")

Guest TK-421

If it didn't rain during that epic game against Goran at Wimbledon he would have won, that was his best chance. The rain saved Goran that day.

And didn't he make the most of it... To be honest, I was made up for Ivanisevic to win it that year. The guy is a huge leg and the final on People's Monday against Rafter was the finest spectacle ever to grace centre court.

Amen. That fifth set was a masterpiece of sporting drama.

Guest TK-421
And didn't he make the most of it... To be honest, I was made up for Ivanisevic to win it that year. The guy is a huge leg and the final on People's Monday against Rafter was the finest spectacle ever to grace centre court.

The Goran story was great, very reminiscent of Istanbul in soccerfoot I reckon - just meant to be. I had to listen to the final day in work on a radio which sucked. Still haven't seen the footage of Goran winning. Even so, I'd put it up there as one of the greatest sporting moments of all time.