You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Oh bollocks, people are looking for racism where there isn't any, no wonder the anti-semitism bollocks with Labour has gone on so long!

Let's have all future satirical cartoons with all people denoted by amorphous green blobs shall we?

Or am I oppressing amorphous green blobs?

I wouldn’t say that it was definitively racist but I do find the depiction of Osaka as odd.

Ordinarily I’d have thought nothing of it, it’s an accurate statement on her behaviour if anything, but the depiction of Osaka does make it questionable.

What depiction? The colours are actually very similar (her skin tone is darker than Williams) and totally different to the Umpire. 

What depiction? The colours are actually very similar (her skin tone is darker than Williams) and totally different to the Umpire. 

Williams' opponent in the cartoon has blonde hair.

Not that I give a fuck to be honest, some tennis cartoon in some shit Australian arse rag is pretty low on my list of things to get worked up about,

Williams' opponent in the cartoon has blonde hair.

Not that I give a fuck to be honest, some tennis cartoon in some shit Australian arse rag is pretty low on my list of things to get worked up about,

Two things to say about that, I guess. First is, her ponytail is blonde. You know, like this.  Second, are we deriving race by hair colour these days? Third, you're spot on about this not being something to get worked up about. Zero fucks given really. It's clear that anything that can get called out will get called out. 

• Upvote 1

Two things to say about that, I guess. First is, her ponytail is blonde. You know, like this.  Second, are we deriving race by hair colour these days? Third, you're spot on about this not being something to get worked up about. Zero fucks given really. It's clear that anything that can get called out will get called out. 

Even if you think it was in.

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

I would certainly never derive race from someone's hair colour, I just don't think the opponent in the cartoon resembles Osaka at all. I'm not sure it's even meant to look like her to be honest which is possibly why people are getting their panties in a bunch.

General rule, if you're making a caricature of a black person, don't draw massive fucking lips like racist images of yore. There are other aspects of Williams' appearance he could have emphasised.

Not saying he set out to do it, or that he's racist because of it, but the image itself is a little troubling because of that aspect.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, you didn't even know her hair was blonde a minute ago. Besides, it looks as much like her as Williams. It's a cartoon. It's a load of old bollocks trumped up by SJW. 

It's actually ombre, baby girl.

*clicks fingers

tdy_news_naomi_osaka_180910.1024;768;7;7

General rule, if you're making a caricature of a black person, don't draw massive fucking lips like racist images of yore. There are other aspects of Williams' appearance he could have emphasised.

Not saying he set out to do it, or that he's racist because of it, but the image itself is a little troubling because of that aspect.

Isn't that what cartoonists do, accentuate significant features? There is nothing racist about that. 

But she doesn't have swollen pink lips and a giant tongue, that's straight out of the 1920s cartoon school of depicting black people. It's up there with a hook nose for cartoons of Jews.

I'm not having that it's racist. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=baby+crying+cartoon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN9e3ajbPdAhUrIcAKHcE-AVgQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943

This shows a lot of very similar mouths and yet almost all depictions are of white kids. The lips are obviously different, but then Serena does have big lips. I think he's attempted only to illustrate her as being a cryarse, with no racist intentions.

But she doesn't have swollen pink lips and a giant tongue, that's straight out of the 1920s cartoon school of depicting black people. It's up there with a hook nose for cartoons of Jews.

Big Ron systematically refutes this line of argument from 35 minutes onwards:

(ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK).

• Upvote 1

She was out of line, no doubt. Do I think it was worthy of the opprobrium she received? Probably not, tbh. You’d certainly struggle to convince me that we’d see a similar backlash if it were Federer or Djokovic in her shoes.

The cartoon borrows from over a century of racist tradition. The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was the Tom and Jerry cartoon/Jim Crow-era-esque trope of an overly-masculinised angry black woman. That just what I saw, personally. The obvious whitewashing of her opponent and the implication that the poor white people were victims of the black womans rage only adds to the effect. I can’t speak to the cartoonist’s intentions, but it’s pretty clear to see why this has caused offence.

• Upvote 2

I'm not having that it's racist. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=baby+crying+cartoon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN9e3ajbPdAhUrIcAKHcE-AVgQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943

This shows a lot of very similar mouths and yet almost all depictions are of white kids. The lips are obviously different, but then Serena does have big lips. I think he's attempted only to illustrate her as being a cryarse, with no racist intentions.

I never said he had racist intentions, in fact, I'm sure he didn't, and was merely trying to illustrate her as a big crybaby. However, what he drew had some of the hallmarks of racist imagery.

As for Serena having big lips, are they any bigger than most African American women? The problem with the "but they have big lips" argument is it means all caricatures are drawn against the baseline of white European features, and as such all depictions of other races tend to over-emphasise their differences from this baseline, rather than individual quirks that a cartoonist might otherwise highlight. That's how you end up with racist imagery proliferating through this kind of medium. Jews with hook noses, black people with big lips, East Asians eyes etc.

Whether people think its racist or not the drawing is on dodgy ground and it's entirely understandable that there has been a reaction to it, I don't think it's a case of seeing something that isn't there. There is something there, the question is of intention and I don't think anyone would be so daft as to intentionally draw something racist in a popular publication. It's interesting to note this was an Australian publication. There could possibly be an element of ignorance or insensitivity at play.

What like? Her dick?
  • Upvote 1