You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Naming rights

Dirk

Are you against selling the naming rights of the new stadium?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Are you against selling the naming rights of the new stadium?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's inevitable. I'd prefer the word Anfield to be in the name somewhere, though. We should be able to convince some marketing bod for a multinational that it's actually better for their brand to be cemented in prople's minds directly alongside ours, rather than just by association. In other words The Coca-Cola Anfield Stadium is better than The Coca Cola Stadium.

Obviously it'll just get called Anfield, so I'm not arsed about who sponsors it (assuming it's an ethical brand). However, I don't want the word "new" in there. How gay is that? The New Anfield? No thanks.

It is only moving a few hundred yards so Anfield will be in there somewhere. For me it must have 5 things minimum. Shankly and Paisley gates, the Kop, the eternal flame, and Shankly's statue. And it will always have us. Whats in a name anyway, they fear the fans and the team in the stadium not the stadium itself.

It is only moving a few hundred yards so Anfield will be in there somewhere. For me it must have 5 things minimum. Shankly and Paisley gates, the Kop, the eternal flame, and Shankly's statue. And it will always have us. Whats in a name anyway, they fear the fans and the team in the stadium not the stadium itself.

And a Hillsborough Memorial.

Guest Far and Tether
Some of the names in America for the stadiums are rediculous. Pizza Hut Park, Home Depot, Gillette (Not Gillett) ect ect so I hope it wont have to go down that avenue. Anfield is home.

If it's any consolation, the fans will "unofficially" rename a boring stadium name. For example, the Vancouver Canucks (NHL) play at General Motors Place, but the fans just refer to it as "The Garage". It would be interesting to see whether this just evolved, though, as opposed to some kind of (Internet?) naming contest.

Guest Far and Tether
I think it's inevitable. I'd prefer the word Anfield to be in the name somewhere, though. We should be able to convince some marketing bod for a multinational that it's actually better for their brand to be cemented in prople's minds directly alongside ours, rather than just by association. In other words The Coca-Cola Anfield Stadium is better than The Coca Cola Stadium.

Obviously it'll just get called Anfield, so I'm not arsed about who sponsors it (assuming it's an ethical brand). However, I don't want the word "new" in there. How gay is that? The New Anfield? No thanks.

Anfield Reborn? I kid, I kid. It would be an idea to rename it ______ Field, with that first word ending in "an". That way, you sneak in the old name. Can't think of a big company with that ending though.

They can call it all they want but it will still be known as New Anfield.

Lets just say for instance Coca Cola paid £100 million for naming rights so the Stadium is known as The Coca Cola Anfield Stadium people would just drop the Coca Cola bit at the start and just refer it as Anfield.

whether its called the coca-cola anfield stadium or united airlines stadium ,its stil in anfield ,so we call it anfield,simple i thinks .

It's a new stadium, I don't care what it's called if we have a great team playing in it.

Even the present Anfield isn't the stadium Billy Liddel played in. The stadium Shankly's team played in only has the main Stand left. The stadium I first saw us play at in 1969 has been demolished. It's not the same grass, it's been cut thousands of time.

Don't let sentiment stand in the way of progress, that was David Moores failing for so many years. Onwards and upwards.

I disagree with the "What's in a name?" philosophy. An awful lot can be in a name.

The word 'Anfield' is not just about LFC. It is synonomous with footballing excellence, success, pride and passion. It takes football back into it's roots and reminds us what we are all about.

There is a lot in a name. It's a name worth keeping in the title of the new stadium. Who cares if 'Kwik-E-Mart' or whatever is attached to it? We will still call it Anfield.

I've thought for a while that the new stadium shouldn't be clled Anfield, I'd love it to be called The Shankly Stadium or something but that's not going to happen. I'm not against the naming rights being sold though, especially if we can get a massive deal like Arsenal did.

I would like us to have some historical links when we do move though, like having a one tiered Kop behind a goal and having the other stands called (for example) the Bob Paisley Stand, the Kenny Dalglish Stand and the Billy Liddell Stand. If the naming rights are sold I think a gesture like this wuld soften the blow for all those opposed to us selling them.

Hick's team play at the American Airlines stadium and Gillets the Bell Centre.

I think its going to happen,the brand though would have to have just as much pull in Europe as America which rules some companies out and some in.

For example there wouldnt be much point calling it New Anfield sponsored by Wal-Mart would there?

As for the construction company of choice the Echo say these people are heading the list,

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpooldailypost/news/regionalnews/tm_headline=talks-begin-with-stadium-developers%26method=full%26objectid=18586142%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Interesting it took them only 2 years to build the Millenium stadium.

Out of interest does anyone know if you agree to a width and height of something does the oundations stay the same even if the aesthtics of it may change from the original plans as your building? Any architects out there?

Like the BT Cellnet Riverside?

Everyone calls it The Riverside.

I think potential sponsers are wise to this now. They'll insist on getting in before the new stadium gets named - so its only identity will be the new corporate brand name we get paid to carry. Like the Emirates Stadium - there's no other previous name to call it by, so it sticks.