You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gimme some music reccomendations!

Karl_b

Beware of the Jeff Buckley industry! Most things released under his name suck. Get "Grace", listen to the first cd of "Sketches for My Sweeteheart", and go no further!

A current favourite of mine is "Dimanche a Bamako" by Amadou and Mariam (with Manu Chao). The kind of music pretty much everyone can dig, irrespective of musical preferences...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
There's a few artists/bands Ive never really listened to and was looking for some reccomendations as to where to start (songs and albums) with the following:

Beck

Jeff Buckley

Soundgarden

Jimi Hendrix

My Bllody Valentine

Any help at all would be ace.

Don't know about Jeff Buckley or Led Zep but my fav Beck LP's are One Foot in the Grave, Mellow Gold and Midnight Vultures. I have gone off Odelay altough it has some ok tunes.

Soundgarden - what everyone else has suggested plus singles "Blow up the Outside World", "Pretty Noose" and "Buden in My Hand" from the last LP, and "TY Cobb" from the last LP rocks hard and loud and features the superb chorus "I wanna fuck you all".

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

And if Soundgarden tickle your fancy then try The Screaming Trees' "Sweet Oblivion" and "Dust" LP's.

Re: Soundgarden, Louder than Love is very good also, although less accessible than the 2 mentioned here. Also contains one of the best choruses ever written ("I know what to do, I'm gonna fuck fuck fuck fuck you"), and a song about shagging the mother of a friend named Kevin (Full on Kevin's mom)

As the count man mentioned, if you like Soundgarden you'll probably like Alice in Chains too (facelift/dirt I'd start with). Temple of the dog, which is more melodic than those 2 but features members of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam is a very good album. On a similar theme but more current, you'd probably also like Queens of the Stone Age if you like soundgarden/alice in chains..

I'd throw in The Screaming Trees also (any one of Uncle Anesthesia, Dust, or Sweet Oblivion) A criminally underrated band but at least now Mark Lanegan is gettting a bit of critical and commercial success.

Finally get on some Mudhoney (superfuzzbigmuff), Sonic Youth (daydream nation, goo, dirty) and Dinosaur Jr (Bug or ear bleeding country - best off thingy)

I hate dinosaur jr... probably one of the only grunge bands that i dislike with a passion

singer cant sing!

anyone heard any mr bungle?

I went to see them live in '93. Most. Boring. Gig. Ever. Just one hour and a half long distorted guitar solo. Actually Morcheeba were worse come to think of it..

Guest TK-421

I went to the Dinosaur Jr reunion show at Kentish Town forum it rocked! Great to see Lou Barlow and J Mascis lining up together again. Speaking of Lou Barlow, Sebadoh rule and should have had a mention (by me) on the grunge thread - JUST GIMME INDIE ROCK!!!

I hate dinosaur jr... probably one of the only grunge bands that i dislike with a passion

singer cant sing!

anyone heard any mr bungle?

To quote the Silver Jews, "Most of my favourite singers couldn't sing". Dylan, Cohen - all the way up to Will Oldham. I really like J Mascis's voice. And he's a great guitarist. His stuff with The Fog rules. Especially live with Mike Watt on bass...

The first two Van morrison solo albums are of a high standard. Very soothing.

The Count speaks wisely. I'd say his first half dozen or so albums are great. Since then, NOOOOOOO! Oh, and one of his former backing singers (who was alleged to be bumming what's his name from Boyzone - not even the officially gay one!) is about to represent Ireland in the Eurovision Shit Contest...

To quote the Silver Jews, "Most of my favourite singers couldn't sing". Dylan, Cohen - all the way up to Will Oldham. I really like J Mascis's voice. And he's a great guitarist. His stuff with The Fog rules. Especially live with Mike Watt on bass...

they could all sing in tune, they just werent great singers

dinosaur jr singer just cant hold a note whatsoever

The best place to start is zep's fourth album, which is probably the most accessible. But you are on safe ground with any of the albums.

I'd strongly recommend stopping when you get to Physical Grafitti - with the exception of the occasional track all the albums after that are formularised shite, phys graf and everything before it is superb and as the Count says essential.

Lust for Life by Iggy Pop is compulsory, if you don't have it.

A lesser known shoegazing album worth checking is Doppelganger by Curve (their other albums weren't up to much).

A good site for reviews of indie type bands is Trouser press

they could all sing in tune, they just werent great singers

dinosaur jr singer just cant hold a note whatsoever

Dylan doesn't sing in tune - have a listen to subterranean homesick blues.

Best song to get into Dinosaur Jr is freak scene - amazing song and his eccentric vocals only enhance it for my money.

As for previous Van Morrison comments, he made excellent albums beyond the 1st 4. In fact, the vast majority are excellent with a few stinkers every few years. Come to think of it - his 3rd album "His Band and the Street Choir " is generally regarded as being one of his weakest.

Saint Dominic's Preview

It's Too Late to Stop Now

Veedon Fleece

Wavelength

Into the Music

etc etc etc all came later and are excellent- that's only up to 1979 or something.

Guest TK-421

I agree with every word of that Mr Svejk.

And its always great to quote the Silver Jews, here's another:-

A kitten from Great Britain sleeps behind the drapes

OK, so some stuff for you all to try:

Jetplane Landing - My favourite band, hands down. Intelligent, grown up (even though I hate those adjectives) rock music. Their first album, Zero for Conduct, was a little acousticy and introspective; the second, Once Like a Spark, was heavier and angrier. Top blokes. Check out the downloads that are still working at the official site. Their Myspace has some more songs to listen to. Download 'This is Not Revolution Rock' and 'Brave Gravity'

Kelly 8 - Swedish band, the singer, Pia, has the most amazing voice. Quite angry stuff, but I love it. Try 'The Competition' "LIAR!" Myspace again.

Fickle Public - Quite a young Scottish band who've been working at it for a while, and have just released their debut album Myspace

The Pipettes - Mmmnn, the Pipettes. Mad '50s US pop stuff Myspace

http://www.thepipettes.co.uk/ Brunette Pipette is the foxiest Pipette.

And if anyone hasn't listened to Bright Eyes, go buy "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning". The most amazing collection of indie country songs you'll ever hear; it just sounds like Connor with a rickety old acoustic and the odd bit of help from Emmy Lou Harris. If "Lua" doesn't do anything for you, you're technically a zombie. Myspace again, again!

Anybody that hasnt already should give Nick Drake a whirl. Beautiful music.

Very different but also excellent is DJ Dangermouse's Grey Album, a bootleg of the Beatles White Album and Jay-Z's Black Album. Its been around a while and Ive had it about a year, gave it a listen earlier for the first time in ages. Very clever and very good.

I forgot!

Two Gallants - Find it difficult to describe this. Imagine the White Stripes playing some Johnny Cash songs. Myspace http://www.twogallants.com

Rilo Kiley - Female fronted indie country pop. Jenny Lewis has THE most amazing voice ever. http://www.myspace.com/rilokiley

BIFFY CLYRO - May take a while to assimilate the songs, but you'll be hooked. Scottish mentalists. http://www.myspace.com/biffyclyro

Onelinedrawing - Jonah from Far. Just him and a music making gizmo that looks like R2D2 http://www.myspace.com/blindprophetess