You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gimme some music reccomendations!

Karl_b

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this last night on the Colin Murray show and thought it was fucking brilliant. Class tune with some very funny lyrics in there, even if you're not into the tune persevere with it for the lyrics:

"Thou shalt not judge a book by it's cover, thou shalt not judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover": class. Great Beardage too.

He also played a really good mash-up of the Caeser's 'Jerk it out' and Stevie Wonder's 'Uptight (Everything's alright)' but I can't find that anywhere.

What do you reckon to that first track then brothers?

I went to the Dinosaur Jr reunion show at Kentish Town forum it rocked! Great to see Lou Barlow and J Mascis lining up together again. Speaking of Lou Barlow, Sebadoh rule and should have had a mention (by me) on the grunge thread - JUST GIMME INDIE ROCK!!!

They've a new ablum out in the summer! Ace!

Guest TK-421
They've a new ablum out in the summer! Ace!

Who, Dinosaur?

Have you listened to any of J Mascis and The Fog? The second album is a winner, Free so Free I think it's called.

That's brilliant.

It is isn't it Karl, I heard it last night and it's one of those you just have to hunt down.

Usually stuff like that lacks a killer tune but that has both the lyrics and the tune. That Danny Glover lyric could possibly be the greatest ever. I love the "Just a band...Just a Band" bit too.

"When I say hey thou shalt not say ho....thou shalt not quote me happy!"

I heard this last night on the Colin Murray show and thought it was fucking brilliant. Class tune with some very funny lyrics in there, even if you're not into the tune persevere with it for the lyrics:

"Thou shalt not judge a book by it's cover, thou shalt not judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover": class. Great Beardage too.

He also played a really good mash-up of the Caeser's 'Jerk it out' and Stevie Wonder's 'Uptight (Everything's alright)' but I can't find that anywhere.

That is class.

"Thou shalt not read NME."

The new LCD Soundsystem album is a belter. The best bits of Daft Punk, Talking Heads, Kraftwerk and Bowie, often all in one song.

Modest Mouse's Dashboard is a fantastic single too, little wonder when it's touched by the genius of Johnny Marr.

The new LCD Soundsystem album is a belter. The best bits of Daft Punk, Talking Heads, Kraftwerk and Bowie, often all in one song.

Modest Mouse's Dashboard is a fantastic single too, little wonder when it's touched by the genius of Johnny Marr.

That Modest Mouse single is indeed a good tune Rojo. Decent video too:

"Thou shall not use poetry, art or music to get into a girls' pants. Use it to get into their heads."

Absolutely loving this track Monty.

El Rojo - haven't heard the new LCD album but I love the first one.

"Thou shall not use poetry, art or music to get into a girls' pants. Use it to get into their heads."

Absolutely loving this track Monty.

El Rojo - haven't heard the new LCD album but I love the first one.

"Thou shall not make repetetive generic music, Thou shall not make repetetive generic music, Thou shall not make repetetive generic music, Thou shall not make repetetive generic music."

I'm going through the other stuff on youtube, Karlos, and I've come across one where he reads a letter from God to Earth over a fucked up version of "Planet Telex", one where he ends up going through the periodic table and another where he tells the same story from lots of different angles: very promising.

This week, I have mostly been pissing off Mrs.Meat by listening to/singing along to early Genesis in the car, with Trespass and Lamb lies down on Broadway being two particular favourites to which I know all the words, much to her discontent...

So. My recommendation for the week. Early Genesis. The stuff with Peter Gabriel on the vocals, not that balding knobber Phil Collins.

Combine with Disturbed, System of a Down, Captain Beefheart, The Who, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd for musical happiness that'll last a lifetime.

That'll do for now. If I typed in all the crap that I like to listen to I'd wear my fingers down to the knuckle. Something else that'll piss the missus off.. :D

Uncle Meat, Genesis are cool. Got tickets for OT in July. Also, Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame.

...The crawlers cover the floor in a red ochre corridor...........(cont)

When I say "Heyyyy!" you'd better bastard well say "Hoooo!"

Apart from that, excellent find Stu. Enjoyed it muchly.

iForward Russia! are ace. I started a thread about them yonks back and got a full zero responses.

I'm sure I told you, but the beardy guitarist was a year or two below me at school.

I'm sure Biffy have lifted the chorus of their latest from somewhere but I can't quite place it.

Dunno, only heard it a couple of times. They seem to have suddenly got huge though.