You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kirkland suffers World Cup KO

m0e

Kirkland suffers World Cup KO

By Tom Adams - Created on 24 Mar 2006

Chris Kirkland's World Cup hopes are in tatters after yet another injury that has seemingly ruled him out of action for the rest of the season.

The West Brom goalkeeper has been prevented from ever making an appearance for England due to a debilitating run of injuries and his latest blow occurred on Thursday when he fractured a finger in training.

During his loan spell from Liverpool, Kirkland initially impressed before being relegated to the substitutes' bench due to the sterling form of Polish keeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

However, Kirkland was still hopeful of travelling to Germany as Sven Goran Eriksson's third choice keeper before sustaining the injury.

The Baggies have confirmed they expect the 24-year-old to be absent for six weeks with the problem, effectively ruling him out of what remains of the English domestic season.

Kirkland's injury leaves the way clear for Norwich's Robert Green to claim his place as deputy behind Paul Robinson and David James.

I used to feel sorry for him, but now its just getting funny! I can't believe how often he seems to get injured. It must be really hard for him to go through all this so often. He must be broken (Pun intended).

His Dad must be so pissed off too as he's come close to getting an England cap in a few friendlies so often and now it looks like he's never going to win that bet he had.

Does his contract expire in 2007? Going to be hard to recoup what we paid for him. Rather we let him go on a free transfer than loan him out again though.

Guest tactics truck
Looks like his dad is never going to get his hands on that 100 grand

Just as well as the sheer weight of that betting slip would rip his whole arm off if he ever tried to pick it up. There'd be mayhem in the bookies, blood and arms everywhere, he'd try and pick himself up and dislocate his hip...it would end up with his family coming in to help the man up and the whole Kirkland family in bits on the floor.

Just as well as the sheer weight of that betting slip would rip his whole arm off if he ever tried to pick it up. There'd be mayhem in the bookies, blood and arms everywhere, he'd try and pick himself up and dislocate his hip...it would end up with his family coming in to help the man up and the whole Kirkland family in bits on the floor.

William Hill would not be best impressed.

If i was Kirkland's agent, I'd advise him to change careers. I've heard they're looking for a new Mr Muscle. I can just picture Chris with marigolds on and a bottle of cleaning detergent. If he can remove those stubborn stains anyone can.

mrm1.jpg

From Sky Sports

Kirkland will return to Liverpool but, with his future lying away from Anfield, admits should Robson be true to his word in the summer then he would jump at the opportunity to rejoin his former team-mates in the Black Country.

"I'm going back to Liverpool now but I've been told by them that they are going to sell me in the summer," added Kirkland.

"This injury, therefore, has come at a pretty bad time.

"But what I will say is, whoever takes a chance on me in the summer will see how hard I work and how much I want to play.

"It all depends who comes in for me now. Hopefully West Brom will be one of those teams. I've just got to assess all the options open to me and take it from there."