You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Juventus ticket

Dr Ahmed, PhD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't buy my PhD. nice to see all my threat generate more than 100 replies. :lol: My cousin got 6 tickets for the Juve game and ive got mine, but i won't say where i got it from

But you just did. Your cousin.

• 6 months later...

Didn't the good Dr tell us he'd spent some time in Manchester?

The Independent (London)

20 Dec 2000

GP STRUCK OFF OVER OFFER TO CIRCUMCISE YOUNG GIRLS

Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor

A GP who was caught on film offering to carry out an illegal circumcision on an 8-year old girl was struck off the medical register yesterday.

The General Medical Council found Dr Abdul Ahmed guilty of serious professional misconduct after he offered to perform the operation for 50. The GMC dismissed Dr Ahmed's claim that he believed he was discussing the circumcision of boys.

Dr Ahmed, 63, was exposed by an Asian TV researcher working for Channel 4 programme on female circumcision called 'Cutting the Rose'. The woman posed as a mother who wanted her daughter circumcised and visited Dr Ahmed aat his home in Manchester with a video camera hidden in a handbag. She explained that in her home country of Somalia it was traditional to have young girls circumcised. On the tape, although initially reluctant, Dr Ahmed is heard arranging the operation at 4 pm that day, adding: 'This is not free -- you have to pay for it.' He agreed to perform the surgery on 2 other girls at 50 each.

The surgery was never carried out but the taped meeting was later broadcast. Dr Ahmed was interviewed by police but said the conversation had been about the circumcision of boys.

Giving the GMC's verdict yesterday, Professor Denis McDevitt, chairman of the professional conduct committee, said: 'The committee is appalled by the evidence they have heard of your offer to perform an abhorrent mutilation and illegal operation on female children. We do not find credible your account given both in the police interview and your evidence today that you believed you were discussing the circumcision of boys.'

The committee, which heard tapes of telephone calls and watched viseo-tapes of the meetings, took the rare measure of suspending Dr Ahmed, now a senior partner in a GP practice in Stoke Newington, London, from the register immediately to protect the public. He has 28 days to appeal. The GP later insisted that part of an audio tape in which he said he would not carry out female circumcision was missing. He maaintained that the documentary team had tried to trick him, and that on several occasions he had mistakenly referred to girls and daughters when he meant boys and sons. Female circumcision is illegal in Britain but is still practised in some ethnic minority communities, and carried out in backstreet clinics.

And what did he do with the bits he cut off? Yum yum.

• 5 years later...