You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arne Slot

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

I can see why we didn't go for Amorim though. I think he would have required a lot more turnover in the squad. Sporting rely loads on extremely fast wing backs and outer centre backs, Geny and St Juste in particular are absolutely rapid. I think he'd have taken one look at Trent's work out of possession and thought, nah, this lad can't play wingback for me. For his ideal squad we'd have needed to sign backup wingbacks as well simply because of the ground they'd cover and the amount of games we play. We'd also have no playing time for many of the centre mids. Szoboszlai, Elliott, Jones, Mac Allister and maybe Trent competing for one spot alongside a proper holding mid, and we probably want to strengthen that holding midfield position as well. Diaz might not have fitted either because the wide players in Amorim's front three are more like number 10s than wingers. So you'd be looking at 8-10 deals to be done for a manager and playing style that might turn out to be useless at Premier League level.

Slot seems like a bit less of a gamble in that regard because his playing style is more similar to Klopp's. But the risk for me is that he's even less proven because the Dutch league is fucking garbage. What I've seen of his Feyenoord side, it looks like they rely on quick incisive passing in and around the penalty box, even against teams that defend deep. You can't do that so much in the Premier League, the players are so much bigger and quicker that the spaces Feyenoord typically try and open up often will not exist. Also the talk of his pressing system being man-to-man and extending over the whole pitch doesn't sound good, it doesn't seem to work that well in the Premier League, Leeds conceded shitloads when they played like that under Bielsa. There are so many games in English football, no squad can keep it up for 90 minutes three times a week, not when you're up against extremely physical opponents and shite refs. Even Abu Dhabi, with their infinite money and manager who both loves Bielsa and is no stranger to PEDs, don't play that way.

I dunno what the answer is though. I'm sort of pinning my hopes more on Hughes being able to sign the sort of players Edwards was signing in 2017 and 2018 instead of the sort of players we've been signing recently. If we got one or two really fucking excellent first team players in this summer, whoever the manager is will matter a lot less.

I think our recent signings are still very good,but they weren't signed with this season in mind,in my view. I believe these lads will mature and I hope most will stay together long enough for that to happen. In hindsight,finishing 3rd with a largely new squad is far from a poor achievement. We just got so close that we didn't stop to realise how inexperienced a lot of the current squad actually are.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

So we getting this guy because his style is so similar to Klopps the club won't have to buy players to suit a new style as they are already here.  A lesser version. Exciting.

I assume the interest in Alonso was genuine, and it's not like they wanted rid of Klopp in the first place.

Hiring someone with a similar playing style makes sense in every way, but my big concern is that the players might not treat him with the same level of respect as they did Klopp. Time and the players' reaction to our first run of bad results under him will tell.  

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I can see why we didn't go for Amorim though. I think he would have required a lot more turnover in the squad. Sporting rely loads on extremely fast wing backs and outer centre backs, Geny and St Juste in particular are absolutely rapid. I think he'd have taken one look at Trent's work out of possession and thought, nah, this lad can't play wingback for me. For his ideal squad we'd have needed to sign backup wingbacks as well simply because of the ground they'd cover and the amount of games we play. We'd also have no playing time for many of the centre mids. Szoboszlai, Elliott, Jones, Mac Allister and maybe Trent competing for one spot alongside a proper holding mid, and we probably want to strengthen that holding midfield position as well. Diaz might not have fitted either because the wide players in Amorim's front three are more like number 10s than wingers. So you'd be looking at 8-10 deals to be done for a manager and playing style that might turn out to be useless at Premier League level.

Slot seems like a bit less of a gamble in that regard because his playing style is more similar to Klopp's. But the risk for me is that he's even less proven because the Dutch league is fucking garbage. What I've seen of his Feyenoord side, it looks like they rely on quick incisive passing in and around the penalty box, even against teams that defend deep. You can't do that so much in the Premier League, the players are so much bigger and quicker that the spaces Feyenoord typically try and open up often will not exist. Also the talk of his pressing system being man-to-man and extending over the whole pitch doesn't sound good, it doesn't seem to work that well in the Premier League, Leeds conceded shitloads when they played like that under Bielsa. There are so many games in English football, no squad can keep it up for 90 minutes three times a week, not when you're up against extremely physical opponents and shite refs. Even Abu Dhabi, with their infinite money and manager who both loves Bielsa and is no stranger to PEDs, don't play that way.

I dunno what the answer is though. I'm sort of pinning my hopes more on Hughes being able to sign the sort of players Edwards was signing in 2017 and 2018 instead of the sort of players we've been signing recently. If we got one or two really fucking excellent first team players in this summer, whoever the manager is will matter a lot less.

Lets be honest though, if you get a manager from the Dutch or Portuguese League, what they do in those leagues tactically is close to irrelevant because those leagues have little to do with the top level. I mean, in the Eredivisie, 15 of the clubs would be around relegation spots in the Championship and they run less than bottom half Championship clubs as well. If you are a good manager in that league, you could do practically anything and be successful. I'm not all that convinced that what he has done at Feyenoord he would do at Liverpool. He says Guardiola is his biggest influence. That could just be a token line, but that doesn't jive with what we do. There is a chance he comes here and tries to play more controlled football because he will now have better technical players.

It would have been the same with Amorim. Maybe the 3 at the back thing he would always keep, but other than that, what he did at Sporting tactically has maybe nothing to do with what he would do in high level games in England with better players. 

In truth, the important thing is that he comes with a specific way of playing, whatever it is, and isn't just some reactionary like Rodgers who said he had a style of football, then tried to play every different way under the sun to keep his job. 

I watched a couple of Youtube videos on Arne Slot, both tactics and interviews, and I he looks like a sound fella.

I`m all in, Sign him up!

BUT! his assistant manager is Robin van Persie. (yes, him)

Think I`ll have some mixed feelings seeing him on the sidelines for us. That being said, if he could teach Darwin how to be more clinical in front of the goal it would be worth it

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Lets be honest though, if you get a manager from the Dutch or Portuguese League, what they do in those leagues tactically is close to irrelevant because those leagues have little to do with the top level. I mean, in the Eredivisie, 15 of the clubs would be around relegation spots in the Championship and they run less than bottom half Championship clubs as well. If you are a good manager in that league, you could do practically anything and be successful. I'm not all that convinced that what he has done at Feyenoord he would do at Liverpool. He says Guardiola is his biggest influence. That could just be a token line, but that doesn't jive with what we do. There is a chance he comes here and tries to play more controlled football because he will now have better technical players.

It would have been the same with Amorim. Maybe the 3 at the back thing he would always keep, but other than that, what he did at Sporting tactically has maybe nothing to do with what he would do in high level games in England with better players. 

In truth, the important thing is that he comes with a specific way of playing, whatever it is, and isn't just some reactionary like Rodgers who said he had a style of football, then tried to play every different way under the sun to keep his job. 

Fair points. Hope whatever his plan is, he gets it working quickly.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Doesn't matter who his biggest influence is for me. He has to have his own talent. Rodgers used to spout the same shite. 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

I was reading about his training methods and he seems on top of this. To stop exhaustion in training he shortens the pitch so there is less distance to cover and the players don't exhert themselves too far.

It's a fair enough point, and an encouraging one. But that's in the Dutch league. He'll have to shorten the pitch a heck of a lot more to cope with the added pressure here.

2 hours ago, redinblack said:

that would be asking for trouble, be like Roy and Ged as co managers to see how it goes.

Xabi isnt coming, if he does well at Bayer for another year or so its off to Madrid.

Yes, that's why I didn't regard that as at all likely. Like most fans, I'm trying to make sense of what the club is doing, with minimal guidance from the club.

25 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It's a fair enough point, and an encouraging one. But that's in the Dutch league. He'll have to shorten the pitch a heck of a lot more to cope with the added pressure here.

I think distance is pretty universal.

(It's post match day training to prevent extended sprints which lead to more muscles injuries instead of doing full pitch work).

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I assume the interest in Alonso was genuine, and it's not like they wanted rid of Klopp in the first place.

Hiring someone with a similar playing style makes sense in every way, but my big concern is that the players might not treat him with the same level of respect as they did Klopp. Time and the players' reaction to our first run of bad results under him will tell.  

Can't be much worse than the reaction to the current run of bad results under Klopp.

But I get you point. And since we have began restructuring a year ago, it makes sense to bring in someone who can make use of it and continue building on it. 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I think distance is pretty universal.

(It's post match day training to prevent extended sprints which lead to more muscles injuries instead of doing full pitch work).

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but: do you honestly think that kind of faux misunderstanding was worth it?

The new Liverpool manager must say from the outset he is here to win, not just compete.

Carragher said the above which I agree with. He sounds a confident fella, I doubt he will want losers making excuses for him about time being needed. If he says the above he will settle a few nerves. 

If you are Alisson or Van Dijk, players in advancing age you want to hear the new manager is here to win, not talking about projects. If you are a new player thinking of joining us -- you want to hear the new manager is here to win not just compete. 

People need to forget about Alonso. He had his chance and fucked us off.

I've no doubt he cares about the club at a superficial level, just like Torres and Suarez did. Has happy memories and likes us more than the other English clubs, but rightly or wrongly, he didn't love us enough to come here. 

I don't hold a grudge against the man. He was a very good player here and became truly world class once he left us. He's clearly a really good manager and seems a decent fella. I can't say I blame him for not coming here because I think he would be on a hiding to nothing and that's even with him having credit in the bank which the others don't have.

Anyhow, lets just move on from him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

People need to forget about Alonso. He had his chance and fucked us off.

I've no doubt he cares about the club at a superficial level, just like Torres and Suarez did. Has happy memories and likes us more than the other English clubs, but rightly or wrongly, he didn't love us enough to come here. 

I don't hold a grudge against the man. He was a very good player here and became truly world class once he left us. He's clearly a really good manager and seems a decent fella. I can't say I blame him for not coming here because I think he would be on a hiding to nothing and that's even with him having credit in the bank which the others don't have.

Anyhow, lets just move on from him.

Nobody who gets paid to manage 'loves the club' they are professionals who have to cold,hard and calculated to do their job properly. All the fan stuff,it seems Klopp is mainly a Mainz fan,is for retirement. 

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nobody who gets paid to manage 'loves the club' they are professionals who have to cold,hard and calculated to do their job properly. All the fan stuff,it seems Klopp is mainly a Mainz fan,is for retirement. 

Like I said Vlad, I've nothing against him at all. In fact, I think for his career he's probably made the right decision. He'll always be a hero at Leverkusen now and Real's job is possibly his in a year. It's the biggest job in world football. We're one of the biggest clubs but for a Spanish lad, it makes sense. We're the level below Real.

I think management is mercenary in nature because any of them can be in the shit with fanbases after a handful of bad results and that includes Jurgen, Pep and Ancelloti - maybe Jurgen a lot less so because we adore him. Still, I've no doubt that Jurgen has a gigantic bond with us and Dortmund. I doubt Pep has that with City other than professional pride at winning trophies (I know I know) and it's probably the same with Ancelloti at Real. The key thing is getting someone that can be very good and someone that the fans will relate to. I mean you see how it is going so badly wrong at the Red Mancs and to be honest he walked in there with a lot of goodwill and their fans being excited by him. While their players are a horrible bunch, it is clear he's a knobhead. The anti-Klopp if you will.

It's funny but I listened to John Terry talking about Mourinho and how he rang him to tell him he was coming "home" to Chelsea for that second spell. He's always held up as the ultimate mercanary manager, but that somewhat surprised me. I don't see Pep ever having that emotional bond with City, other than lots of cash in his bank account. I mean I hate Mourinho, but he was a great manager in his day and it's clear he could build a rapport with the pre-Millenial players because a lot of them from the Porto/Chelsea/Inter teams seem to love him. 

• Upvote 1