You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Even without the injuries, the passage of time may well have affected him the way it does every living thing on the planet.

Deffo

And it is likely to be even more pronounced given the weakness of his body.

1 minute ago, Code said:

I think we thought this would be a bit easier than it was, so arrogance might certainly be part of it. 

I think it was. I said last week these were no mugs and it might be good to start finding the net again against these. What do I know.

I would say careless & shit football than arrogance. 

Can we turn this around? Never say never of course but the 3rd goal killed the tie for me. If it was 2-0, even a first goal over around 70 mins will change everything. Now I cannot see it, even if we find our shooting boots, we will definitely concede.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Always a risk you take when you announce it early. Same when Fergie was announced.

That's the longest reaction time from Klopp declaring he's leaving to the team putting in the worst performance in a while. They must have only just seen the news that he will quit as manager at the end of the season. The bastards!

• Upvote 1

A really sobering night. Totally agreed with Dave on the pod - I genuinely didn't think this group of players had it in them to be this poor in a game. Yeah they'll get beaten here and there, all (non-financially doped) teams do, but the way we just seemed absolutely off it all over the place? The wife was watching that Scoop film on Netflix the other day and this was like that Prince Andrew interview: ill-prepared, complacent, naive, incompetent, self-destructive and utterly damaging.

But the worst thing about it, weirdly, was watching people leaving 10 minutes before the end, like they knew it was up. I'm not having a pop per se; I know it's their right and the team hadn't exactly done anything to make them feel differently, but it felt like both the ghosts of Christmas past and, perhaps, Christmas yet to come. A shoddy, error-strewn and limp performance at home with fans watching on with apathy or acrimony, and with so little belief that they're out before the end. It takes me back to the pre "doubters to believers" phase, and makes me fear more than anything that this whole thing is held together with Jurgen-shaped string. And once that goes?

For fucks sake.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

That's the longest reaction time from Klopp declaring he's leaving to the team putting in the worst performance in a while. They must have only just seen the news that he will quit as manager at the end of the season. The bastards!

The performances have gone a downhill after what some here have called the adrenaline lift - that is for sure.

And the team looks less cohesive by the week.

Klopp is a guy, and his successful sides similar, in that they go 110% at their best.

He may be able to still be good enough at 90%, or even 80% - but this team is not. 

Personally, the way things are going, I'd rather see the club organise some ceremony in the ground for Jurgen, or something more imaginative but self-contained, rather than send him around the city with just the league cup as a send off. There's an air of exhaustion sinking into the atmosphere these days, and it's understandable, but this man has been an astonishing presence these past few years, in so many ways, it shouldn't end in bickering and sneering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Funkasy said:

I think Bobby of 3 years ago played 3300 minutes and scored 9 goals, one single at home that season that was on the last game day.. he is the last player we need right now

I knew this would be the Bat-Signal for Code!

Thoughts on last night. Heard the team in the car on the way and was bit surprised. Felt like a team for a third round League cup game. Was it arrogance, was it we  genuinely thought they were not that good or was it sensible with one eye on the main prize. 

Straight from the off we weren't at it. Noticeable that they were big lads who could put themselves about. Felt like a disadvantage at times as both Endo and MacAllistair aren't the biggest. Lots of misplaced passes, been creeping in a bit lately. Needs sorting.

Some players let themselves down. I like Darwin but he had at least 2 clear cut chances which he fluffed. Got to be more clinical. Jota for me now for as long as he stays fit and Darwin as sub if needed. Jones was the biggest let down . I’ve never been a big fan of him but thought he’s ok as a sub or in games against easier opposition. Last night he went missing far too often. Just doesn't seem to have that ability to grab a game and run it. 
One of the main problems last night was a lack of passing options. No one showing for the ball. Not seen a Liverpool keeper hit that many long balls in a game for a long time. I actually assumed it was something we planned, maybe we thought they were susceptible to a ball over the top. Or maybe it was just no one took responsibility for going and getting it off him.

However, despite all the failings it dawned on me halfway through the second half what was wrong. We missed having 2 attacking defenders. Kostas was not up to standard last night, offered nothing going forward and was error strewn throughout. Gomez similar but played better. If we had Bradley/Trent on one side and Robinson on the other we’d have made things a lot harder for them and kept them more occupied while creating a lot more chances for ourselves.

So was it arrogance. In hindsight I don’t think so. Don’t think that’s in Klopp’s make up. Did we underestimate them? Definitely. 
Looking for positives. It’s a kick up the arse going into the most important games left. Don't think we’ll play that bad again.
And do you know what, I think we’ll still get through. Hard to believe after last night but when we click we can beat anyone in the world, certainly better teams than Atlanta.  We’ll go there with nothing to lose and the player’s knowing it could be Klopp’s last European game. Trent back, Diogo back and the full first team, we can blow these off the park.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Torvald Utne said:

Contagious shitness, sloppy passing leading to counter attacks leading to nervousness leading to more sloppiness

Shit decision-making and fuck-all movement, too.  And all those useless long punts!

It was the opposite of a Liverpool performance.

30 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's already planned, even before the League Cup. 

I did not know that, not seen anything about it, have they set the day as well or does that depend on the Europa League final or not?

Monday or Thursday?

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's already planned, even before the League Cup. 

It’s a stupid idea without at least the PL trophy. If we don’t just erect a stage at the Anfield Rd end of Stanley Park and have Jurgen fronting some German rock band belting out hits, with Babel DJ’ing during breaks.

• Upvote 1