You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

A European quarter final against an opponent we have faced in Europe previously, and one which is on the fringes of the top 4 in Serie A. Atalanta in recent seasons have been a bit like Italy's version of Brighton. They have a squad that gets picked apart by wealthier clubs each summer, and the replacements seem to slot in seamlessly and try to make a name for themselves. The coach Gasperini is settled there, having been in charge for almost 8 years now - a rarity in the modern game, and particularly for Serie A where club presidents are notoriously trigger-happy. I know they have the likes of former Premier League players Lookman and Scamacca in the side. Dutch midfielder Koopmeiners has been linked with us over the past year or two, and young Italian central defender Scalvini is getting raving reviews and is another we have previously been linked with. In short, they are a side we should be beating, but one that can cause a world of issues for us if we are not at it.

That was the case in the Champions League group stage back in 2020/21 when we faced Atalanta. Fans were not allowed in the stadiums. We'd travelled to Bergamo (effectively Europe's ground zero for Covid infections at the start of the pandemic) a couple of weeks earlier, and completely dismantled them on the counter attack. We'd won 5-0 but had almost completely switched off for the last 10 minutes, somewhat fortunate not to let in a consolation. The bad thing is, that total half-arsedness in those last 10 minutes reared its ugly head in the return fixture at Anfield. We lacked any kind of focus or intensity for the entire game, creating nothing resembling a chance all game. It was the first time I can recall our players going out onto the pitch with that sort of mindset under Jurgen since he'd built his own squad. I think we've had a few really shoddy displays under him over the years, but very very few at Anfield, and most of the shoddy games didn't include a lack of effort like we saw here. This was awful stuff, and Atalanta were well worth the 2-0 win given to them by Ilicic and Gosens in the second half. While we made it safely through to the knockout stage, we could have done so a little sooner without an aberration like this.

We are slowly getting numbers back to give Jurgen more options, but the concern is that sloppiness at the back and a lack of ruthlessness in attack is causing us to have to go to the well in every game to get something out of it. The 2 games at Old Trafford showcased this most notably. Away goals in Europe aren't as key following the rule change but that doesn't mean we should not be looking to tighten up at the back. Some of the defensive lapses in 2024 are inexplicable, and some of the choices made by our forward players when we've worked promising situations border on laughably casual. Secure that shit, Hudson! I demand nothing less than maximum concentration, motivation, attitude and application from first minute to last. Let's put on a performance and get a result that means the trip to Bergamo for the second leg is merely an exercise in control and concentration rather than needing to dig deep yet again. A good win please. Get it done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I'd play the forwards all 3 of them and tell them straight its your job to test that keeper to his limit. Fuck this game I dont care I want these players to hit the target and with effort. 60 minutes and they haven't proved shit I'd haul them off and bring on others under the same instruction. Fuck pretty patterns of play in the final 3rd act like its a physical battle be Shearer, become Shearer!

On 08/04/2024 at 08:51, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd play the forwards all 3 of them and tell them straight its your job to test that keeper to his limit. Fuck this game I dont care I want these players to hit the target and with effort. 60 minutes and they haven't proved shit I'd haul them off and bring on others under the same instruction. Fuck pretty patterns of play in the final 3rd act like its a physical battle be Shearer, become Shearer!

Shearer was a sensational striker at Newcastle but won fuck all with them. We don't play with those type of players any more.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I can see Gakpo and Nunez both starting this. Diaz rested. I wouldn’t go too far from full strength, these could be tricky especially with an away leg over there 

They’re a good side, it will be no push over. Hopefully we put them away here.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Shearer was a sensational striker at Newcastle but won fuck all with them. We don't play with those type of players any more.

But he was also sensational at Blackburn, I would argue even more so than at Newcastle, and won the league.

Would have loved him in our team.

On 08/04/2024 at 03:48, Trumo said:

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

A European quarter final against an opponent we have faced in Europe previously, and one which is on the fringes of the top 4 in Serie A. Atalanta in recent seasons have been a bit like Italy's version of Brighton. They have a squad that gets picked apart by wealthier clubs each summer, and the replacements seem to slot in seamlessly and try to make a name for themselves. The coach Gasperini is settled there, having been in charge for almost 8 years now - a rarity in the modern game, and particularly for Serie A where club presidents are notoriously trigger-happy. I know they have the likes of former Premier League players Lookman and Scamacca in the side. Dutch midfielder Koopmeiners has been linked with us over the past year or two, and young Italian central defender Scalvini is getting raving reviews and is another we have previously been linked with. In short, they are a side we should be beating, but one that can cause a world of issues for us if we are not at it.

That was the case in the Champions League group stage back in 2020/21 when we faced Atalanta. Fans were not allowed in the stadiums. We'd travelled to Bergamo (effectively Europe's ground zero for Covid infections at the start of the pandemic) a couple of weeks earlier, and completely dismantled them on the counter attack. We'd won 5-0 but had almost completely switched off for the last 10 minutes, somewhat fortunate not to let in a consolation. The bad thing is, that total half-arsedness in those last 10 minutes reared its ugly head in the return fixture at Anfield. We lacked any kind of focus or intensity for the entire game, creating nothing resembling a chance all game. It was the first time I can recall our players going out onto the pitch with that sort of mindset under Jurgen since he'd built his own squad. I think we've had a few really shoddy displays under him over the years, but very very few at Anfield, and most of the shoddy games didn't include a lack of effort like we saw here. This was awful stuff, and Atalanta were well worth the 2-0 win given to them by Ilicic and Gosens in the second half. While we made it safely through to the knockout stage, we could have done so a little sooner without an aberration like this.

We are slowly getting numbers back to give Jurgen more options, but the concern is that sloppiness at the back and a lack of ruthlessness in attack is causing us to have to go to the well in every game to get something out of it. The 2 games at Old Trafford showcased this most notably. Away goals in Europe aren't as key following the rule change but that doesn't mean we should not be looking to tighten up at the back. Some of the defensive lapses in 2024 are inexplicable, and some of the choices made by our forward players when we've worked promising situations border on laughably casual. Secure that shit, Hudson! I demand nothing less than maximum concentration, motivation, attitude and application from first minute to last. Let's put on a performance and get a result that means the trip to Bergamo for the second leg is merely an exercise in control and concentration rather than needing to dig deep yet again. A good win please. Get it done!

Think Scalvini is not available.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

Now the title has gone, we must focus on the Europa.

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

(It's so hard to tell these days.)

Nah, we'd be better off throwing this and making sure we finish in the top 4/5.

I think I’d make a change or two for this. 

Assume Konate will come back in and given Robbo is just back from a knock, wouldn’t be surprised if Tsmiskas or Gomez were at left back. 

I think Elliott should start over Szoboszlai and I’d play Gakpo up front over Nunez. 

Hopefully Jones can get more minutes (although I think there is an argument he’s ready to start) and it would be good if Trent & Jota could make the bench as well. 

Play well, score goals, get Sunday out or system.

Just fucking win. 

14 minutes ago, Dapower said:

Can’t see this posted anywhere but no flags on the kop for this due to tickets rise interesting 

Just seen a load of people on the SOS Facebook page complaining about the protest & saying supporters should suck it up.

I did note a lot of them were from overseas, 'You should consider yourself lucky to get a ticket at all' etc. Bellends.