You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - FA Cup Quarter Final, Sun 17th Mar 2023 (3:30pm)

Trumo

46 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The thing is, I don’t think we did try to close it out like that. We tried to close it out by keeping possession. Back then we did the dark arts well, getting into the corner with Milner etc. there was none of that on show today, just laboured and one-tempo passing that ultimately went nowhere. Darwin was left alone up front for large periods and had no choice to go for optimistic shots to the near post. 18-20 we’d have sat deep, brought on a centre back and grimly seen it out. 

Well we often closed games out by keeping possession. But we couldn't bring on a 5th choice centre back today to pad it out and sit deep, because he started the game. And again, for the dark arts stuff, well you've got to be under pressure at the end of a game to need to do that. We just weren't. What we did get wrong was leaving Bradley back on his own to defend when we had an attacking corner in the last minute. And when we gave up the 3rd goal, we were by then using Nunez as a winger, when he was dead on his feet. He should never have been out in that position. 

Everyone keeps saying we don't miss Trent. It's fucking madness. If he plays in that 2nd half, we win about 5-1. Our issue is the lads we have in midfield, none of them find those types of passes. Mac is good at those little sharp ones around the box. Elliot can sometimes make a great give and go (although he was poor today). We needed a player who could stretch the play and make the spaces easy. We just didn't have it. I still think it's a case of one game too far as a result. You can't just keep being one dimensional and hoping because your players are better than theirs, it'll just work out and if it doesn't your sheer will to win and energy will see you through. 

42 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Again don't think we'll agree but I know what you're saying. You can't be in training ground mode there, 2-1 up, game there for the absolute taking  just fucking kill it .For me Nunez and Salah were awful. Just a bit more from either and that game is done.

I agree with most of that. I thought we should definitely have gone for the kill. We 100% got that wrong. The problem was I don't think we were capable of killing them. So instead, we chose to keep passing and hoped because they're fucking shite we'd get a 3rd. Personally, I think today can act as a learning exercise for some of those players. And if they're going to have one of them, I'd sooner do it in a cup game and win our league games. Salah clearly isn't fit. Nunez clearly isn't fit enough as he'd got to the point where he was looking strong later in games before this latest injury. I don't know if he's not training much between game or maybe we have him strengthening the muscles, but he looks leggy to me. He was done by about 65 last week v city and 75-80 today. What we could have really done with today was our subs freshening things up. But none of them did. I'm fact each one made us worse. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The number of times we’ve been there and you’d snap a hand off to be one up with 5 to plate and we’d defend like our lives depended on it - today they just wanted it more.

we have to go into every single fucking game kicking and screaming and wanting it more than the opposition, or we don’t deserve to win fuck all

Did they want it more? I saw a team who'd pretty much given up..they didn't look like they wanted to be there and got out of jail because of a sloppy pass when they were giving it a last 5 when they'd done nothing since about 25 minutes in. What I will say is their subs had more of an impact than ours. Each one of ours made us worse. Some of theirs improved them.

It gives me no pleasure to say that I can’t see Gakpo having any future here. He’s the kind of player we would be smug about seeing in a Tottenham shirt. Scores the occasional goal, but just not good enough in general play. On top of that, today it felt like he couldn’t be bothered to run enough, certainly much less than Darwin, whose mistake surely was a result of being absolutely knackered.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Baltar said:

If I was a betting man, I'd put some money on United winning it now. Easy semi final and will probably spawn the final against either City or Chelsea.

They could beat Chelsea but city would need to have a serious off day. 

The mancs are pure shite. We were saying it's like watching a lower league team in terms of the sheer amount of passes that end up in the stands. I couldn't tell you what formation they play of what their first xi is, absolutely no idea. There's teams way further down in the league who have far more about them. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

They could beat Chelsea but city would need to have a serious off day. 

The mancs are pure shite. We were saying it's like watching a lower league team in terms of the sheer amount of passes that end up in the stands. I couldn't tell you what formation they play of what their first xi is, absolutely no idea. There's teams way further down in the league who have far more about them. 

I said earlier, I actually weirdly see a way Coventry win it. Absolutely anyone can beat the mancs (except us it seems). They are shocking. And Chelsea have given city a tough game when they've played them this season. And Chelsea are even more vulnerable than the mancs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Did I imagine it, or did their second come after an offside that wasn't flagged?

Quansah (might've been VVD) had to cut out a ball to an offside player, and they picked it up and pushed forward.

I don't remember that. But I don't think that would count as offside would it?

They won two throw ins high up the pitch in quick succession from offsides that were not flagged iirc. It helped them build pressure.

Yet for ours the flag goes up and ref whistled. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Did they want it more? I saw a team who'd pretty much given up..they didn't look like they wanted to be there and got out of jail because of a sloppy pass when they were giving it a last 5 when they'd done nothing since about 25 minutes in. What I will say is their subs had more of an impact than ours. Each one of ours made us worse. Some of theirs improved them.

They had given up. The crowd had given up. The captain was wanting to be subbed. I had a text 2nd half saying the ball the ball. That will sting  until we twat them in the league

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

They had given up. The crowd had given up. The captain was wanting to be subbed. I had a text 2nd half saying the ball the ball. That will sting  until we twat them in the league

The captain was trying to get sent off and should have been. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't remember that. But I don't think that would count as offside would it?

The runner was offside, and the CB had to try dealing with a ball because of it. I think that should be flagged.

I've probably got it wrong, mind, and he wasn't offside. No interest in watching it back to check either.

49 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The runner was offside, and the CB had to try dealing with a ball because of it. I think that should be flagged.

I've probably got it wrong, mind, and he wasn't offside. No interest in watching it back to check either.

You're dead right. I pointed that out to my mates in a group chat. Virg flicks a leg because of the threat of Rashford who is a yard offside. If its not for Rashford, Virg controls it easily or let's it run. Either way we have the ball.

It's one of those that the rules of offside seem to change on a lot, but I've seen plenty of them given this weekend. The offside player never gets the ball but his presence is enough to affect play and hence offside.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

This game is going to be brought up by every fan, pundit and commentator for the next 20 years, and we’ve only got ourselves to blame.

Yup. A famous win for them and one they'll go on and on about for decades like the 2-1 one. 

Feel for the fans who went, I was there for the 2-1 and am still scarred.