You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - FA Cup Quarter Final, Sun 17th Mar 2023 (3:30pm)

Trumo

I’m on holiday in Krakow at the moment. I’ve spent the whole day walking around Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camps. Luckily I’ve missed the entire match and I’ve got no intention of ever watching it now. 

Auschwitz and Man Utd beating us on the same day. The staff are just in the process of talking me down off the hotel roof.

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

They were like us playing them 15 years ago. Massive occasion for them and they stood up while we bottled it or swanked about like we the globetrotters. There are squire a good few performances today but the whole thing looked like we didn’t give a shit

I don’t think it’s fair to say that we didn’t give a shit, but the game was far too easy for us and we got complacent.

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Losing that versus winning it makes the same impact on the league. In fact you could argue our confidence would skyrocket had we won.

But we get a free week now. The talk of a quadruple and the pressure that brings is over. And while city are fucking about in a semi, we get the chance to go and stick 3 points on the board, while their away at spurs moves to a free midweek near the end of the season under the lights. 

And hopefully the lesson we take from today's game, is push harder to get the 2 goal cushion, because a one isn't enough no matter how easy the game seems. I'd sooner learn that lesson today than in a league game. Because today we tried to close the game out like we.would have 18-20. We're not that good at that yet. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Today was just one game too far. A bit like it was when it went to shit against arsenal. We've got Dom and mo who were not going to see the game out. And some other players around the squad, who you also wouldn't want 120 mins - Nunez,  robbo and maybe even endo. And clearly others have had to come off. Nunez gave the ball away for a goal and it was just pure exhaustion. He'd needed taking off for ages, but we had no more moves. Klopp often gets his subs right, but he didn't today and somehow despite everyone being exhausted, every sub seemed to make us worse. But fuck it, I'd have traded today for 3 points when we play them in the league. We just have to now go and get those 3 points. We fucking owe them this season and they'll have one eye on the following week. I'm not arsed about this or the uefa cup. I want the league from here and the draws on Friday and going out today help us heading towards that. 

Good point about Darwin - I’d been screaming for him to come off for ages - but the game too far analysis doesn’t work. While I agree we had players who couldn’t play 90, let alone 120 minutes, we had players available to come on. After it went 3-3 we shat it. 

We owed them through the 80’s and never gave  them what they deserved. Our record at that ground is appalling. One thing that I’d be sure of - we won’t ease up in that game. 

I can’t remember being this fucked if with my own team for years. This is our biggest rivals rivals and we acted like fucking Disney princesses while they got their hands dirty.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Good point about Darwin - I’d been screaming for him to come off for ages - but the game too far analysis doesn’t work. While I agree we had players who couldn’t play 90, let alone 120 minutes, we had players available to come on. After it went 3-3 we shat it. 

We owed them through the 80’s and never gave  them what they deserved. Our record at that ground is appalling. One thing that I’d be sure of - we won’t ease up in that game. 

I can’t remember being this fucked if with my own team for years. This is our biggest rivals rivals and we acted like fucking Disney princesses while they got their hands dirty.  

I get the point you're making. But I think most of the team did well, we just weren't desperate to bury them. We wanted to manage it out. We just weren't good enough. The only one who played like a disney princess to me was gakpo. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But we get a free week now. The talk of a quadruple and the pressure that brings is over. And while city are fucking about in a semi, we get the chance to go and stick 3 points on the board, while their away at spurs moves to a free midweek near the end of the season under the lights. 

And hopefully the lesson we take from today's game, is push harder to get the 2 goal cushion, because a one isn't enough no matter how easy the game seems. I'd sooner learn that lesson today than in a league game. Because today we tried to close the game out like we.would have 18-20. We're not that good at that yet. 

The thing is, I don’t think we did try to close it out like that. We tried to close it out by keeping possession. Back then we did the dark arts well, getting into the corner with Milner etc. there was none of that on show today, just laboured and one-tempo passing that ultimately went nowhere. Darwin was left alone up front for large periods and had no choice to go for optimistic shots to the near post. 18-20 we’d have sat deep, brought on a centre back and grimly seen it out. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But part of that game management is because we had so many players individually managing themselves. We should have finished them off. We didn't, because we were too in training ground mode, because so many of them are just back from injury or likely managing injuries (Salah looked like that to me today, I don't think he's over that hamstring). We absolutely should have killed the game, but despite our dominance, we barely made onana make a decent save. And normally our subs would come on and finish the job if the starting XI couldn't. But for once the subs couldn't get us over the line, in fact every one of them made us worse. 

Edit, a bit like last week, a fit Jota or Trent and we probably win that game. 

Again don't think we'll agree but I know what you're saying. You can't be in training ground mode there, 2-1 up, game there for the absolute taking  just fucking kill it .For me Nunez and Salah were awful. Just a bit more from either and that game is done.

19 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

They were like us playing them 15 years ago. Massive occasion for them and they stood up while we bottled it or swanked about like we the globetrotters. There are squire a good few performances today but the whole thing looked like we didn’t give a shit

Yeah I said that to my mates. It reminded me of when we used to snatch wins but had to put absolutely everything into it, and you always got the feeling if they could be arsed they could pull us apart with three passes.

Were crap in first halves of away games.They tired and we got some control but our style (or arse) goes out the window.Not good considering we return there and go to Villa Park and the Administration Arena soon.

Have no idea if its bottle/inexperience/tactics but were fucking woeful.

Arsenal (Twice)

Cheaty

United

Newcastle

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

We let them off the hook, they're absolutely shite. No discipline, no gameplan, they just hit it long and took their chances. We dilly dallied and got sucker punched a few times.

I'm bothered but far from distraught, we could and should have won. Shit happens.

I'll heartened though that their demise as a big club is seemingly complete. They looked like they'd won the world cup tonight. Every corner won a winning goal at the San Siro in a European Cup final. The press too, talking up their plucky underdog spirit. Front page of the Mirror will just be a shot of them celebrating and the word "heroes" above them.

It's like when a kid with special needs paints a giraffe and it doesn't look like a dog. 

We bundled Arsenal out of the Cup and now the only talk about Arsenal is a title challenge.

United got us today. Fuck the reasons. We’re in a title race and still marching to Dublin. We learn, we move on.

• Upvote 1

This team have a lot of credit in the bank this season - a bad day albeit as frustrating as it of course is coming against the manc bastards and way it ended is not worthy IMHO of some of the shouts have seen about the team and individual players today.

We go again in 2 weeks with a title challenge and a european campaign to go at - hopefully without the international shite fucking us over and some key men back soon.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Not really.

I'm not always critical, go check out my posts.

I can’t be arsed tbh . I remember after the carabao you made a surprise appearance to praise the team . Your posts slagging the team or the club far outweighs the others. 

Obviously disappointed. 

Too many of our trusted plsyers didn't show up. For me, Endo/Macca/Salah/Nunez were not up to their usual standards. 

Endo and Macca should have closed down the midfield in the second half. 

13 minutes ago, andyj said:

Bitter pil to swallow but id rather lose today but take the 3 points next time 

What makes you thing it’s a trade off? See that out today and they come into it with a massive inferiority complex. Now they’ll

be up for fucking us over

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve not had it for decades. I used to love the butterscotch flavour as a kid, though.

It was called Instant Whip when I was a lad. And I liked the butterscotch flavour.

44 minutes ago, Code said:

In my opinion Kelleher should have saved two of the goals today, not his best day sadly. 

He’s been so good in Alisson’s relief that I won’t begrudge him a bad day but I did think Ali would’ve saved the 1v1. 

The number of times we’ve been there and you’d snap a hand off to be one up with 5 to plate and we’d defend like our lives depended on it - today they just wanted it more.

we have to go into every single fucking game kicking and screaming and wanting it more than the opposition, or we don’t deserve to win fuck all