You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Alonso is the stand-out in the next generation of managers

TLW

image.jpeg

Jurgen Klopp is highly impressed by the work of Xabi Alonso and  in time believes that he will be the leader of the next generation of elite managers.

The former Liverpool midfield star has guided Bayer Leverkusen to the top of the Bundesliga where they currently sit five points clear of reigning champions Bayern Munich.

The fact that they have done it in such an impressive fashion has certainly caught the eye of many observers, currently unbeaten through 21 games in the league as well as still competing in the Europa League and German Cup.

The shock announcement that Klopp would be leaving at the end of this campaign have led many to hope and think that the Spaniard is the natural fit to replace the iconic figure.

While Klopp did not directly discuss that prospect, he did praise the work of Alonso in glowing terms as the Mirror reported.

image.jpeg

“Xabi is doing an incredible job,”.

“If there were not the rumours around, that’s completely independent, if you had asked me eight weeks ago about Xabi Alonso, I would have gone ‘Oh my God’.

“The dinosaurs if you want, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, maybe me, we will not do it - OK maybe Mourinho - but all the rest of us will not do it for the next 20 years. The next generation is already there and I would say Xabi is the stand-out in that department.”

image.jpeg

“Nobody knows if that’s always the way he wants to play or if it’s the way this team specifically plays. He’s not long enough in the business to tell, but obviously the coaching part is exceptional. That’s clear.

Klopp says that having being an esteemed player in his own right in the modern era has been highly beneficial.

image.jpeg

“He’s a former world-class player, obviously from a coaching family as well, which helps a little bit, he was like a coach already when he was playing. The football he’s playing, the teams he sets up, the transfers he did, it was all absolutely exceptional.”

Another thing that clearly impressed Klopp from afar was the way that Leverkusen single handedly dismantled Bayern 3-0 in emphatic style last week in their quest for their first league title.

And refereeing back to his time at Borussia Dortmund, Klopp noted they went about it in a different fashion.

“To be honest when we beat Bayern at Dortmund, it was a bit of defending very well, counter-attacking and taking the momentum. But Leverkusen were simply better. That was probably the real surprise given the short time he was there and the fact that it’s a young team.

And it is why come the end of the season, Klopp senses that there will be honours coming Alonso’s way.

“As they are in the semi-final of the German Cup, there is only one other Bundesliga team in it if Gladbach wins, so Leverkusen have a very good chance to win the Cup,”

“Obviously when you look through the Europa League, Leverkusen are one of the favourites there as well so this could be THE season for Leverkusen. It’s really crazy."

View full article

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We’ve got the greatest managerial team in the world, Tim Steidten, Sebastian Parrilla, Alberto Encinas & Xabi Alonso oh oh oh…

Catchy, right? 

It's like Lennon and McCartney had joined the forum 

Xabi has already said he would love to manage us one day, and he's a sensible fella so surely he realises the Real Madrid job wouldn't be right at this stage of his career.  So my only concern about him joining us is, as usual, money - specifically the transfer budget. He'll no doubt want to keep us competitive, there's no point in coming otherwise, but he will need a healthy transfer budget to do that.  Will the new manager get it? According to some people there should be loads to spend but Klopp's chosen not to spend it.  Time will tell if the new manager is the beneficiary.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Xabi has already said he would love to manage us one day, and he's a sensible fella so surely he realises the Real Madrid job wouldn't be right at this stage of his career.  So my only concern about him joining us is, as usual, money - specifically the transfer budget. He'll no doubt want to keep us competitive, there's no point in coming otherwise, but he will need a healthy transfer budget to do that.  Will the new manager get it? According to some people there should be loads to spend but Klopp's chosen not to spend it.  Time will tell if the new manager is the beneficiary.

Think that would depend on would he want to bring some of his own players in to suit his style of play. From a business sense I don't think there's much wrong with the squad at this moment, especially with the young talent coming through. I get that FSG are mingebags but Klopps got it spot on with the youth integration. If there's no opportunity for progression no kids will want to come here.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

The Madrid job isn't available this summer is it? I thought they'd just extended ancelotti. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Think that would depend on would he want to bring some of his own players in to suit his style of play. From a business sense I don't think there's much wrong with the squad at this moment, especially with the young talent coming through. I get that FSG are mingebags but Klopps got it spot on with the youth integration. If there's no opportunity for progression no kids will want to come here.

Nearly every manager would, especially at the start of a new season. 

And that's up to the next manager. The owners/board should offer up the funds and if the new manager doesn't want to spend and instead bring through kids, that's up to them.  If the owners/board want to dictate transfer policy then so be it but good luck attracting a quality manager.

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The Madrid job isn't available this summer is it? I thought they'd just extended ancelotti. 

They have, until 2026. But Xabi doesn't have to move on this summer, he could choose to wait but as I say he's sensible, and still a young man, so hopefully realises Real Madrid is one for the mid-distant future.

Just now, Moo said:

They have, until 2026. But Xabi doesn't have to move on this summer, he could choose to wait but as I say he's sensible, and still a young man, so hopefully realises Real Madrid is one for the mid-distant future.

Oh yeah, he could wait for sure. But if he wins the league there, you imagine it can only get tougher and tarnish his reputation. If Liverpool and/or Munich offer him a job this summer (as seems to be the rumour), I can't see him staying. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Oh yeah, he could wait for sure. But if he wins the league there, you imagine it can only get tougher and tarnish his reputation. If Liverpool and/or Munich offer him a job this summer (as seems to be the rumour), I can't see him staying. 

He'll come to us if he thinks he can compete.

I think any manager would expect more from Liverpool than they would Leverkusen.

Leverkusen was Alonso's first true managerial gig, whilst he was promising I don't think top clubs were lined up for him. Now he will likely have a choice of suitors he'd be daft not to take into account what that club offers him in terms of resources, especially if he's moving to a more competitive league. He's not daft.