You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

If Xabi is off the cards, I’m all in on the ABDZ hand - anyone but De Zerbi. 

Just don’t see him doing anything for us. I didn’t mind him for us, but he reminds me of Brendan Rodgers when he joined us.

Seems stubbornly wedded to an easy on the eye style of play, but doesn’t have the tactical nous to change if that style is causing the team to be open and leaking goals. And, like Rodgers, he’d be coming because he got a smaller team to play some decent stuff, but without any real record of winning stuff. Which is needed to justify getting the Liverpool job. 

Just look at two recent managers who came to us whose CV didn’t have recent honours recorded on it. Hodgson and Rodgers. One was a complete disaster. The other ultimately turned out to just not be quite good enough. 

Then Klopp came in. That broke the recent mould. We need another appointment like that. A manager who’s won something recently. Or who looks like they’re more than a flash in the pan like De Zerbi does. I’d sooner have someone who gets the team playing uglier football but can be a bit more savvy if there’s signs that it’s not working or if the team is getting humped. 

I’d genuinely sooner have someone like Nagelsmann, Maresca, Slot, Spaletti, Flick or even Gerrard or Mourinho over RDZ. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Now reports hes off to Bayern

This is all part of Bayern's strategy.

Fortuantely we are too clever and classy to get involved - it is gonna ramp up as well as they atrempt to destabilise him and Leverkusen.

I'd ignore it all. We won't know anything until Alonson himself speaks and I can't see that happening until season is done - there are titles to be won and those in pole position i.e. him and Leverkusen don't need all this noise - Bayern Munich do and that is why they are driving it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I would, its not like Amorin has dominated Portugal or had much success in Europe. 

Amorim may be good, but he looks like he uses brylcream. 

What grown man has greasy hair? I stopped using brylcream when I was about 12. 

So for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm out!!! 

24 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

With all due respect, that's bollocks. 

Bayern are the Man United of Germany. Plus. Without the historical or contemporary competition.

They're possibly the most arrogant, entitled club in the world. The Yankees of "soccer." 

"THAT'S BOLLOCKS" he screams, with a ridiculously subjective comparison lacking any self awareness that only really emphasises my original point.

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Just don’t see him doing anything for us. I didn’t mind him for us, but he reminds me of Brendan Rodgers when he joined us.

Seems stubbornly wedded to an easy on the eye style of play, but doesn’t have the tactical nous to change if that style is causing the team to be open and leaking goals. And, like Rodgers, he’d be coming because he got a smaller team to play some decent stuff, but without any real record of winning stuff. Which is needed to justify getting the Liverpool job. 

Just look at two recent managers who came to us whose CV didn’t have recent honours recorded on it. Hodgson and Rodgers. One was a complete disaster. The other ultimately turned out to just not be quite good enough. 

Then Klopp came in. That broke the recent mould. We need another appointment like that. A manager who’s won something recently. Or who looks like they’re more than a flash in the pan like De Zerbi does. I’d sooner have someone who gets the team playing uglier football but can be a bit more savvy if there’s signs that it’s not working or if the team is getting humped. 

I’d genuinely sooner have someone like Nagelsmann, Maresca, Slot, Spaletti, Flick or even Gerrard or Mourinho over RDZ. 

Think you're going to be disappointed 

16 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

The comparison to Rodgers is nonsense but I get the reticence with De Zerbi because of lack of impressive CV.

Serious question, though; what do you make of all the plaudits he gets from players and other managers?

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The comparison to Rodgers is nonsense but I get the reticence with De Zerbi because of lack of impressive CV.

Serious question, though; what do you make of all the plaudits he gets from players and other managers?

Are you suggesting that professional footballers and managers with years in the game know more about football than your fellow forum members? 

• Upvote 1

I find it hard to get too arsed about any of this.

Despite the hysterical stuff on the transfer threads here, the club generally get most things right. They'll get the best person available for the job, which seems likely to have a much more limited remit than it currently has, given the big role that Edwards was given. 

As much as we like to think it, it's probably unlikely that Xabi Alonso has any more of an emotional tie to us than he does to Real Sociedad, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. He won a European Cup with us but won a shitload more including several titles after he left. 

Jurgen Klopp is still leaving though, which leaves a shadow over it all for me. 

I don't think Alonso is coming here. It's likely he'll stay at Leverkusen for another season, by then the Real Madrid job will be available and he'll be going there. 

Personally I'd like to see Nagelsmann become the next manager, he'll be free after the Euros too so no need to compensate the German FA.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

If people can't get excited about finishing seventh under Gareth Southgate next season, they've lost their love of life. 

Would be absolutely tremendous for the forum. 

Me being correct that De Zerbi is quality and rubbing it in people's faces, a close second.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Would be absolutely tremendous for the forum. 

Me being correct that De Zerbi is quality and rubbing it in people's faces, a close second.

De Zerbi rhymes with 'derby'. I'm in. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Other not top level managers get plaudits too. That alone doesn’t make them good enough for the Liverpool job.

What are the nature of these plaudits? That they played some nice football, gave us a tough game, but we still beat them?

It’s partly down to football etiquette too. Managers and players are freer with praise than criticism.

I mean Dyche was hardly going to come out and say he was shite and that we constantly targeted this or that weakness in his set up when Everton beat them 1-5. Nor was rookie coach De Rossi when Roma tonked them 4-0. Nor Emery when Villa beat them 6-1. Nor Moyes when he played rope-a-dope when West Ham sat off them and cut through them on the counter to win 1-3 at the Amex. 

And, while I’m not sure that you’re trying to do this anyway, it’ll take more than a few words of praise from others in the game to convince me that a manager who has won some obscure cup with Foggia and the Ukrainian Super Cup with Shakhtar will ever be good enough to manage a club who’s current manager has raised the bar to a level where challenging for titles is expected.