You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

Whoever becomes the new manager will be an anticlimax they just won't be Klopp. His charisma passion and they way he brings everybody together can't be replaced and that's where the job will become a poison chalice. Us fans are fickle and I don't think will cut the next manager much slack because unlike the likes of Ferguson and Wenger Klopp is leaving with the club and team in good shape. Perhaps I'm just worn down with all this crap I dunno but I just can't seem to find a positive at the moment.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think Chris' post nails it. This is how we handled the Bellingham news. 

Exactly. It seems all of the patch journos had a story within minutes of each other, which suggests briefing or earlier info which was embargoed somehow. 

Nagelsmann has said he will make his choice in April. I don't really see the issue if we choose him. If you're getting a manager in for 5 years, you're not going to let a 2 week overlap get in the way. The question is only if he's the right man. If he is, 2 weeks doesn't matter. Someone who has the German national team, Bayern and RBL behind him by the age of 36 must have something about him. I've felt he was the outside choice from the beginning. I don't see us paying 20-odd million release clause for amorim. 

Very strange how it ended at Bayern, his win percentage was insane as well over 70% and won the double and left them in everything and in a strong position when Tuchel took over.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I don’t think De Zerbi was ever “the man”. He’s a journeyman manager with 7 jobs in 10 years and no trophies of note who did what tons of people have done before in moving a club three places up the table from where they finished the season prior.

Might want to go back and read the plaudits he was getting last season across the league.

He was the name on everyone's lips because of Brightons exploits.

14 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Very strange how it ended at Bayern, his win percentage was insane as well over 70% and won the double and left them in everything and in a strong position when Tuchel took over.

I think Nagelsmann can rub people the wrong way and do some things tactically that his players dont understand. But he is an impressive guy, theres no doubt. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Yeah stop gap for a year is just silly.

Whole thing does not worry me that much.

I mean yeah obviously Klopp going is bad, bad news and pretty much anyone we get will likely be a step down - but I honestly trust the club to get it right and like it always has and always will the wheel will keep turning and we'll win shiny silver things again.

I saw this somewhere else and thought it was a decent summary of the overall picture:

Appointing a new manager has been difficult for every big club in the last 6-8 years.

Look at the Top 6 managerial appointments since Klopp joined:

City - n/a

United - Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjær, Ten Haag

Spurs - Mourinho, Nuno, Conte, Postegcoglu

Chelsea - Sarri, Lampard, Tuchel, Potter, Pochetinno

Arsenal - Emery, Arteta

It’s a combo of yesterday’s man, hopeful punts on the next big thing and managers who are clearly not top tier.

The stability we’ve had at the manager position over recent years has probably blinded some people to the fact that there are currently very few elite managers about. None have emerged in last 5-10 years. Poch, Tuchel, Enrique and Nagglseman are probably the better ones but clearly a level or 2 below Klopp, Pep and Ancelotti.

Anyone we take will be a punt. But that’s what every other big club has been doing for last 8 years

I'd be looking at the structure that is underpinning those managers rather than the managers themselves both for what they lack and how that translates to no consistent vision in the appointment of the managers.

The best example on that list is Arteta and he's the one who's had the most consistent structure above him during the last few years and on the pitch it's showing but even they had to go through a spell of restructuring the side and purging it of bad eggs/players who no longer bring value.

The hope is that the Edwards/Hogan and Hughes structure will bring that same level of security to any new manager and with them driving the appointment it should be a manager who has the same philosophy so we aren't lurching from one extreme to the other.

I think man management skills are going to be what swings it for any candidate.

Nagelsmann would be alright if we were rebuilding and looking to maybe lose some players who don't buy into his ideas. Right now though, we've got a pretty solid squad, with proven winners and excellent youth coming through, all of whom know how to play a certain way.

I'd go for Amorim. He sounds like he has a great relationship with his players. If it doesn't work out, and Alonso goes to Madrid next year, then Ancelotti will be available. Would love to see him manage us before he retires.

6 minutes ago, Dapower said:

So have we basically sat on our hands from November til now regarding Xabi?We must have known he wasn’t leaving Leverkusen back in November surely?

Here come the mad takes.

Xabi didn't know until the international break, the work done by the club between November and now wasn't them sitting around patting each other on the backs saying Xabi no matter what either.

I'm all over the place on this management shit but maybe Zerbi is less of a risk than Amorim. If the Portuguese league is that shit where even its best teams have fallen off a cliff it feels a bit Villa Boas. Zerbi at least knows the league, we have former players playing under him who appear to love him. There's been no real drop off for Brighton in spite of losing their best players and having big injuries. I just don't know shit about Amorim. None of the choices outside of Xabi feel good. I hope to fuck Edwards and Hughes are on the ball and it isn't another Rodgers situation.

9 minutes ago, Dapower said:

So have we basically sat on our hands from November til now regarding Xabi?We must have known he wasn’t leaving Leverkusen back in November surely?

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think man management skills are going to be what swings it for any candidate.

Nagelsmann would be alright if we were rebuilding and looking to maybe lose some players who don't buy into his ideas. Right now though, we've got a pretty solid squad, with proven winners and excellent youth coming through, all of whom know how to play a certain way.

I'd go for Amorim. He sounds like he has a great relationship with his players. If it doesn't work out, and Alonso goes to Madrid next year, then Ancelotti will be available. Would love to see him manage us before he retires.

I'd have zero interest in Ancelotti, and I doubt he'd be interested in taking over from Klopp anyway. And that bleedin' eyebrow would boil my piss every time.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are comparing De Zerbi to fucking Hodgson now

The opinions on De Zerbi is some of the worst stuff this forum has ever seen. 

I'm not saying their styles are similar.

Just pointing out that if the justification for saying he's good enough is that his players and some other managers rate him then it doesn't stack up as a good enough reason.

I don't really see anything about him or his record that makes him stand out as being what we need.

6 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

Just pointing out that if the justification for saying he's good enough is that his players and some other managers rate him then it doesn't stack up as a good enough reason.

I don't really see anything about him or his record that makes him stand out as being what we need.

Danny Murphy loved Hodgson and look how well that turned out!

8 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

His football, and it's his own ideas, is what makes him stand out. And you can just look at what Brighton were like last season to see. Stats and eye test.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's waiting for the Madrid job in a years time. 

Yeah I think so too.

There were rumours that Ancelotti was going to leave at the end of this season, but then signed a new deal until 2026. Alonso is contracted until 2026 to Leverkusen. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

Yeah I think so too.

There were rumours that Ancelotti was going to leave at the end of this season, but then signed a new deal until 2026. Alonso is contracted until 2026 to Leverkusen. 

He's probably also just thinking fuck following Klopp. 

• Upvote 1

Its all pretty underwhelming isn’t it, everyone throwing names about it’s a huge task.

It’s a fucking huge appointment, I’d sooner keep Pep and give him a go at it at least he understands the DNA of the club and has worked with these players on a day to day basis throughout and they all respect him you can that, we’ve done it so many times before, he wants to manage, rumoured to be Ajax…

Would it be a disaster I don’t think so tbh.