You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

Never heard of this guy until yesterday but have been doing a bit reading around today.

One thing that really stands out is how much Feyenoord fans love him, he's got a Klopp-like status there. Seems to have transformed them, while also playing good football. Won things, reached a European final as well. Also had AZ in 2nd place during abandoned Covid season. 

Also seems clear he's very likeable and engaging, good with the media and keeps his players happy. Also a lot of talk of overperforming in the transfer market and getting the most out of players, bringing through youth. 

Sounds pretty good to me tbh. 

• Upvote 2

Bascombe’s version:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/04/23/arne-slot-next-liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-replacement/

One of the attractions of Slot is the style of football achieved on a modest budget. A year ago, Slot was being talked about much like Alonso in the Bundesliga in 2024, as Feyenoord took on and beat Ajax and reached the Europa League quarter-finals. A year earlier he led the club to the first Europa Conference League final.

Slot totally shifted perceptions of Feyenoord from a dull, defensive side to one of the most exciting in the Eredivisie. He has been described as a football disciple of Pep Guardiola, with a coaching style similar to Mikel Arteta and Roberto De Zerbi. De Zerbi has also been referenced as a contender for the Anfield post.

Liverpool’s recruitment process is being overseen by Michael Edwards, who recently returned as owner Fenway Sports Group football chief executive, with sporting director Richard Hughes. Hughes officially starts in his new role this summer, but will undoubtedly have a huge input in the identity of the next manager.

As an up-and-coming coach whose achievements give the impression he is punching above his club’s financial weight, it is easy to see why Slot has so many admirers at Anfield.

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Bascombe’s version:

attractions of Slot is the style of football achieved on a modest budget.

give the impression he is punching above his club’s financial weight, 

I've narrowed that down to the key points

11 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Never heard of this guy until yesterday but have been doing a bit reading around today.

One thing that really stands out is how much Feyenoord fans love him, he's got a Klopp-like status there. Seems to have transformed them, while also playing good football. Won things, reached a European final as well. Also had AZ in 2nd place during abandoned Covid season. 

Also seems clear he's very likeable and engaging, good with the media and keeps his players happy. Also a lot of talk of overperforming in the transfer market and getting the most out of players, bringing through youth. 

Sounds pretty good to me tbh. 

I think the fact that Amorim and Slot were most linked confirms we have been looking for Klopp Junior, if you will. Overachievers with something about them personality-wise.

We seem to prefer Slot now for whatever reason. Might be cheaper, more similar style to Klopp, more willing to work in our structure, maybe.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think the fact that Amorim and Slot were most linked confirms we have been looking for Klopp Junior, if you will. Overachievers with something about them personality-wise.

We seem to prefer Slot now for whatever reason. Might be cheaper, more similar style to Klopp, more willing to work in our structure, maybe.

Indeed, there are a lot of similarities. I also think I read his tactics are very similar to Klopp's. 

Great to know we’re still going to be spending like a club aiming for a top 8 finish.

In that case, we either accept that Europa Conference / League football is the club’s goal or accept that we need another miracle worker and have to change manager every season until we find one.

2 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Indeed, there are a lot of similarities. I also think I read his tactics are very similar to Klopp's. 

So he’d slot right in then?

So, we think there is really nobody out there now, but we are disappointed that it may be the guy not used to throw money at a problem and good with development of players, unlike all other supposedly shortlisted candidates and all our previous managers under FSG (and before them).

Fuck these cheap 3/5 year plan losers off right now. They won’t last 3 months with this squad. 

This lot need a fighter in with them if we can’t get Carlo. As much as I can’t stand the cunt I’d take simeone or conte over everyone of these bums. 

Proven winners FSG you mingey fucks. 

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For all the tedious mocking about spreadsheets etc will bring, huge personalities and supporter engagement are two factors that a spreadsheet can’t quantify.

Doing it data only, you end up with charismaless black holes like 7-Hag.  

33 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A modest budget its our calling card. 

Just so true, if they wrote down their top three priorities for our new manager they'd each be 'works within a modest budget'.

After Klopp they'll be even more in love with their tight arsed philosophy.