You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think it's just the competition which has exhausted him. It's the constant questions, media attention & general circus around the Premier League.

And corrupt refs shafting him every week.

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think it's just the competition which has exhausted him. It's the constant questions, media attention & general circus around the Premier League.

You saying we should drag Des Kelly out of whatever tunnel he's hiding in Sadam/Ghadaffi style and parade him around Anfield the first game of next season on the back of a Toyota Hilux?

I'm in.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

After he’s announced it I think it’s fairly easy to see the clues were there are along and we were day dreaming in hope more than anything.  He wanted to leave for a year or so ago but we were in a state.  The forward line and midfield were aging and there’s no way top young players were joining us knowing he was leaving.  He’s rebuilt the side and they’re performing earlier than expected so it’s time to go to give the next guy a running start.  It’s absolutely gutting because you would think in a years time we would be going for the champions league again.

The really worrying thing is the whole back room staff going.  It must mean Ljinders doesn’t want it or the club don’t want to offer him it.  It’s going to be a shock to the system because whoever comes in just isn’t going to be as brave as we are now with nearly every decision they make.

Genuinely don't get the hand wringing over the backroom staff.

Assistants rarely stay on when a manager leaves, Ljinders wants another go at management and you assume anywhere he goes Matos will go in as his number two, Krawietz is a Klopp man and Schmadtke was living window to window.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I'm as devastated as everyone else and I dont see the future as particularly bright.

Football was already on its last legs for me, it was only the likes of him that gave me the faith to keep watching. When he's gone, what then?

Many will disagree and point to Jurgens interviews but for me theres no way its just tiredness. That may be a factor, but the bullshit from all angles might have pressed him into this decision.

The bullshit cheating.

The PGMOL.

The media.

Our owners.

He will never admit an issue - that's not really him, maybe it will come out in the wash. All i know is he seemed fine enough at the beginning of the season, he was reinvigorated, he was excited, and now all of a sudden hes too tired to carry on? People leave their jobs, people quit their careers because of the people above them mostly. I'm hoping its not a situation where the club has been forcing their hand in certain areas that's basically made him say sod it.

I dont think its a reach to talk about Mbappe, or to talk about the potential behind the scenes documentary and to put 2 + 2 together. 

FSG would love Mbappe if the price was right, the marketing potential is off the scale. Feed this into a documentary and the hype is off the charts. Would Klopp want either of these events whilst building a second side? Hes always been about relationships, bonding, family, team ethics. Both of those things deliver neither and both are initiated by money.

People might say im mad but these owners are American businessmen, they are here to make money any way they can. Maybe they want to join the super league. maybe they are selling to someone who is unsavoury.

That's my take anyway. its just too out of the blue for me. Even if you say he decided in November, that's only what 2 and a half months in to a rebuild. Just doesn't stack up for me.

Anyway he's world class and deserves a statue and deserves all the time he needs to go and chill and take in life.

I said earlier that having to compete with the cheats would grind anyone down. But also trying to compete knowing that at least 2 refs have an agenda against us, and that their boss is ex-SWP…..  Can’t be a coincidence that, now that it looks like we might mount a serious title challenge, Agent Tierney is involved in every other game we play. 

When Shanks stepped aside I would imagine most reds thought he was irreplaceable but Bob came in steadied the ship and took us on to more glory now Bob and Shanks were totally different in every aspect but it worked let's hope the new guy can do the same 

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

He says he's not fucked, but he doesn't quite feel the same. Says it's like he's driving a sports car that can still perform but only he can notice that the gas is getting low. He specifically says he is still loving it now and has plenty of energy to get through the season, but that he doesn't know if he would have the same energy next year and doesn't want to leave us high and dry.  

He also says he thinks it's better he goes at the end of a season, than carry on into next season get to the end of September and think to himself "I can't do this any more" and leave the club high and dry mid-season. I've seen all of the interview and it comes shining through that his thoughts revolve around what he feels he needs to do, and how he is trying to do it in a way that is as respectful to the club as possible. He makes it clear he has plenty of energy to see out this season, and I wouldn't be surprised that now this news is out there he will feel reinvigorated and determined to go out on a high.

53 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Couldn't agree more, it will need more than a miracle to replace Klopp and start winning straight away. 

There is a lot of talk about Xabi, I absolutely love the guy but right now he has not proved himself much. Yes, he is doing well at Leverkusen but there is a huge gulf between them and us. 

It is almost a case of it being it hardly matters if it is Xabi or someone else. Any change in any situation carries risk. But when you are losing the manager who is not just brilliant at his job, but such a perfect fit for the fans and ownership - well it's pretty inevitable it'll be a step back for us. The club always survives these things in the end, but it sometimes has to take a few steps back first. 

28 minutes ago, Moo said:

Even if we win the league it will be tinged with sadness, let's not pretend otherwise.  That in particular is why the timing is so suss.  The announcement must have been forced by something.

Some people might not care either way and that's fine but it's also okay for people to comment on it.

I don't think it is suss at all. The club have known for some time and it's implausible they could keep it quiet forever. They have to get on with hiring someone (if they've not started that already) and there's a number of players who we'll want to buy or who are already here and we need to sign new contracts. Even if everyone wants to keep all that quiet, it doesn't seem possible you could in this day and age. The club can't afford to stand still and bury it's head in the ground. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely gutted.

Although I hoped he'd stay longer, 2026 seemed potentially to be the perfect time to go. Even if we fall just short this season, another season of fine tuning and then I thought we were odds on to get another title or two before he goes. Leaving after just a season of the rebuild seems counterintuitive, but given how competitive Jurgen is,  to do so shows he must feel he has no option.

3 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

When Shanks stepped aside I would imagine most reds thought he was irreplaceable but Bob came in steadied the ship and took us on to more glory now Bob and Shanks were totally different in every aspect but it worked let's hope the new guy can do the same 

Part of that success story though is very little had to change. We're replacing the Sporting Director, manager and his backroom team in one go. It doesn't mean it's Impossible, but you've only got to look at how the mancs and arsenal have suffered since losing Ferguson and Wenger to see just how hard this all is. 

I've seen somebody comparing this to Ferguson leaving Man U, but it's very different.

In 2013 ManU lost a great manager

In 2024 Liverpool FC lost a great manager AND one hell of a decent compassionate Man.

Vielen dank, Jurgen, for making me dream again

Vielen dank, Jurgen, for making those dreams come true.

Your next job will probably be managing "der Mannschaft". Good luck!