You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Love Actually

Bjornebye

Love Actually  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Decent or Shit

• It's Actually not that bad, bit corny but it's a nice easy watching Christmas film with an Elisha Cutherbert cameo. Hugh Grant for PM!
    • It's shite and I have beans on my cereal.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

1. Annie Hall

2. The Shop Around the Corner

3. Barefoot in the Park

4. Roman Holiday

5. Moonstruck 

I never miss an opportunity to watch Annie Hall or Barefoot in the Park.  Absolutely brilliant films.

I hate Love Actually.  I have never seen it, but:

The type of people who think it's great are the type of people who have no taste.

It has that professional posh English bloke in it (notwithstanding his rebirth as an excellent person).

The whole premise of it is based on a falsified Englishness that doesn't exist, but panders to an American audience.

I've watched Four Weddings, and I have no doubt this and that Notting Hill are exactly the same.  Privileged people leading privileged lives (in London), having lots of quirky friends and everything understatedly turning out "surprisingly well, actually..."

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, razor said:

I never miss an opportunity to watch Annie Hall or Barefoot in the Park.  Absolutely brilliant films.

I hate Love Actually.  I have never seen it, but:

The type of people who think it's great are the type of people who have no taste.

It has that professional posh English bloke in it (notwithstanding his rebirth as an excellent person).

The whole premise of it is based on a falsified Englishness that doesn't exist, but panders to an American audience.

I've watched Four Weddings, and I have no doubt this and that Notting Hill are exactly the same.  Privileged people leading privileged lives (in London), having lots of quirky friends and everything understatedly turning out "surprisingly well, actually..."

Four Weddings and Notting Hill are boss!!!! 

Granted they aren’t as reflective on British society as a whole as Rita Sue & Bob Too but still….. 

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Four Weddings and Notting Hill are boss!!!! 

NEGGED!!

Granted they aren’t as reflective on British society as a whole as Rita Sue & Bob Too but still….. 

REPPED!!

One of the greatest scenes in British cinema history.

Yes, Harry Lime runs through the tunnels of Vienna.  Yes, Colonel Nicholson, wounded from gunfire, falls on the detonator to topple the bridge over the Kwai. Yes, Charlie Croker’s men might make a grab for that gold but it will cost them their lives…

And then there’s this:

15 minutes ago, razor said:

One of the greatest scenes in British cinema history.

Yes, Harry Lime runs through the tunnels of Vienna.  Yes, Colonel Nicholson, wounded from gunfire, falls on the detonator to topple the bridge over the Kwai. Yes, Charlie Croker’s men might make a grab for that gold but it will cost them their lives…

And then there’s this:

Hahahahahaha a cinematic masterpiece

“shut up you yer bastard I’ll fuckin’ flatten yer” 

“my husband is not a dirty bastard” 

“you tell em Sue, up the IRA!” 

“Is that what you’ve been telling them you dirty bastard” 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, razor said:

Nail on fuckin head, hopefully Richard (I went to uni)Curtis.

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I believe I've only seen 2 of the films mentioned in this entire thread - Rita, Sue and Bob too and Four Weddings. Am I missing out on much?

The ones in the lists of fives.

Just don't bother with Love Actually.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's problematic- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/nov/30/richard-curtis-lack-of-diversity-in-love-actually-makes-me-feel-a-bit-stupid

Everyone involved should be cancelled and burned at the stake for not anticipating cultural sensibilities 20 years into the future.

Don't let the guardian find out about the best bands/best male/best female/band draft on here. They would be spitting out soy lattes all over the place.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, John102 said:

Don't let the guardian find out about the best bands/best male/best female/band draft on here. They would be spitting out soy lattes all over the place.

Their end of year best album list was unsurprisingly dominated by angst ridden female singer songwriters, evenly split between mumbly bores and massively over produced autotuned Mickey Mouse soundalikes. I tried listening to a few of them, but I'm not a 30 something single woman with a disastrous dating history so none of them clicked.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve only skimmed this garbage but it’s about time somebody said what everybody else is thinking. 

It’s time for Dave to do the right thing and ban Bjornebye from starting threads. 

Worse than Lurtz. Not even joking. 

What shit threads have I authored? The place is littered with Stig's efforts. None of mine. 

• Haha 1