You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sheffield Utd (A) - Wed 6th Dec 2023 (7:30pm)

Trumo

26 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Horrible game caused more due to horrible pitch (grass was long or heavy rains?) and tiredness…We go on. Win is a win…

Yeah the shit pitch made running with the ball and quick passing difficult.

Maybe they did it on purpose, or could just be terrible Sheffield weather. Probably a bit of both.

1. That pitch was a disgrace as a potato patch.

2. I cannot work out why the repeated drying of the ball prior to a throw in wasn't prohibited. I read that rule at the start of the seaon. I thought maybe I'd misremembered, so I checked and sure enough there it was : 'The new rule on the towel ban approved earlier this month will also prevent players from using items of clothing offered up by fans to dry the ball for better grip'. So why suddenly was that wanker Wilder allowed to use it?

3. Three points, thank for feck for that.

• Upvote 2

Another three points from a pretty weak performance. That said, hopefully Sheffield United will improve under Wilder and trouble at least a couple if the top teams at home. 

Both CBs very good today, even if Konate did make one really bad mistake. Trent was good, also saved is by winning a vital aerial challenge at 1-0. Szoboszlai and Endo both quite good in midfield, and even if he wasn’t very good I thought Diaz was actually the best of the front three. Salah and Gomez in a tough and close contest for our worst player, have to say they both had a proper go at it.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Another three points from a pretty weak performance. That said, hopefully Sheffield United will improve under Wilder and trouble at least a couple if the top teams at home. 

Both CBs very good today, even if Konate did make one really bad mistake. Trent was good, also saved is by winning a vital aerial challenge at 1-0. Szoboszlai and Endo both quite good in midfield, and even if he wasn’t very good I thought Diaz was actually the best of the front three. Salah and Gomez in a tough and close contest for our worst player, have to say they both had a proper go at it.

At least Gomez was playing slightly out of position. Salah has been off it for a while, saving himself for Africa Cup?

17 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

1. That pitch was a disgrace as a potato patch.

2. I cannot work out why the repeated drying of the ball prior to a throw in wasn't prohibited. I read that rule at the start of the seaon. I thought maybe I'd misremembered, so I checked and sure enough there it was : 'The new rule on the towel ban approved earlier this month will also prevent players from using items of clothing offered up by fans to dry the ball for better grip'. So why suddenly was that wanker Wilder allowed to use it?

3. Three points, thank for feck for that.

Is that rule in the Premier League, or just the EFL?

Wouldn’t worry too much about Salah for now. He’s got Man United next week, which is like Norwich was for Suarez. 

Edited to say: From what I can see, they both have 12 against their favourite sides as it stands (12 for Suarez against Norwich and 12 for Salah against Man United). Another record for him to aim for. 

• Upvote 4

Just read the roundup and now I understand why Gomez’s form dropped off a cliff.

I also want to mention Gomez. He’s having a really impressive season on the quiet. Just because he doesn’t start when everyone’s available it’s easy to overlook him, but he’s been really good every time he’s played.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wouldn’t worry too much about Salah for now. He’s got Man United next week, which is like Norwich was for Suarez. 

Edited to say: From what I can see, they both have 12 against their favourite sides as it stands (12 for Suarez against Norwich and 12 for Salah against Man United). Another record for him to aim for. 

I remember his first handful of games against them and he couldn’t buy a goal. Or am I getting that wrong? Salah and the mancs I mean

• Upvote 2

The attack is exactly how I said it was a while ago; they are good as a wave but you simply cant count on any of them individually besides Salah. Jota, Diaz and Gakpo all are what they are; they have a ceiling and that ceiling is good player. They are wish versions of what we used to have. Nunez is really the one who could turn into something world class, but that is only based on the potential of his physical attributes and hope that he will start showing a dominance he isnt showing. The last few games, you see it for what it is; if theyre not all there and you cant bring two on against a tired team, its not that impressive, 

But in general, the game today was a type of game you just have to win and you dont really care how. Its an away game in december, those will 90% be ugly because of the pitch, the weather, etc... The injuries will catch up with us, though. Starting to be too many. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

'Laboured' is the best way to describe that. I don't think we control games likes these anywhere near as much as we should, and it makes them a bit of a slog. We also provide too many opportunities for our opponents to get their tails up by allowing them to cause a bit of havoc in and around our area.

The good? Endo and Virg throughout, and Dom got better as the game went on. The bad? Our starting front 3 were awful. Mo's lacked a lot of composure and effectiveness as he's neared the double ton. Lucho struggles to beat players for some reason. Cody has these performances where he doesn't seem all that arsed.

As for our opponents, they were at home and with a new (old) manager at the helm, they were always going to try harder than they have in recent matches. When did Jack Robinson start to be capable of missile throw-ins? Why does every team we play seem to have one player who can take a mean throw-in? When did they start allowing the Stoke-style towel boys back in?

Re the towel thing- if a player just stood there with the ball above his head for the same amount of time as it takes to dry the fucking thing then throw it in, you'd have refs hurrying players up and/or carding them. 

Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

Out in town for this and thank goodness for beer.

That is one of the worst Liverpool performances I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen some big ones.

Yes we won and I’m grateful but sheff

Utd were the pits. They didn’t create anything in open play with possession. And we just laboured to the win.

Im glad its over.

Sounds daft after they got pumped by Burnley at the weekend but wilder came in played a young team and was happy to be 1 down with 5 to go and get an equaliser or an improvement loss.

We are too hard on ourselves sometimes Arsenal last night conceded 3 to Luton and it was a champions performance to get the win we would have picked the team apart for that performance. 

Let's just pick up the points and see where we are come April/May

• Upvote 3