You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sheffield Utd (A) - Wed 6th Dec 2023 (7:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Note the kick-off time. Also note that the game is live on Amazon Prime. A continuation of the hectic schedule this month sees us travel to Bramall Lane to face the beleaguered Blades. They've looked hugely out of their depth in the top flight, having earned promotion under Paul Heckingbottom alongside Luton and Burnley, both of whom also look like raffle winners at times. Sheffield United started the season with close defeats where they at least looked to compete. Since an 8-0 hiding at home by the Saudis, there has been a lot of feeling sorry for themselves, resulting in more beatings, including last time out at Burnley. There isn't much for them to cheer about this season. Hamish McSporran earned his second red card of the season at the weekend and misses this game. They have Cameron Archer as their only bright spark this season. I think Rhian Brewster is still there, but he never seems to get picked as I never hear about him. Heckingbottom is living on borrowed time if you read the press, and who knows if he will still be in the hotseat come Wednesday. Former manager Chris Wilder - who brought and kept them up last time they were in the top flight before the wheels fell off - is one of the names in the frame should Heckingbottom get the heave-ho.

We last met in this fixture in February 2021. We were in that terrible spell of form, especially at home, and were playing midfielders in defence or giving chances to the likes of Kabak, Rhys Williams and Big Nat, so a game (behind closed doors of course) against relegation-threatened Sheffield United provided a little respite. We were far too good for them, and could have had more than the 2 goals we got. Ramsdale in goal was keeping them in it in the first half in particular. We got our deserved goal in the second half when Curtis fired in a loose ball from just inside the area. Bobby's dancing feet got us the second via a deflected effort. 2-0 flattered the hosts.

Jurgen's programme notes against Fulham mentioned that this period would see regular changes to the starting line-up to manage the players' workload and have as many of them as possible in peak physical condition. We are without the known injury absentees, but Joel came off injured against Fulham and may be a doubt. We know we are superior to the Blades, but this type of game perhaps more than any others really does require complacency to be left at the training ground and for everyone to pull together with purpose and control. Motivation, concentration, attitude and application absolutely need to be there, from first minute to last. 3 points please Reds. Get it done!

• Upvote 7

These are absolutely fucking horrific.

I dare say their fans will be up for it more than any other game this season, but that shouldn't make any difference.

The worry is after the dramatic win from what looked like a loss today, and teams around us dropping points we'll somehow manage to piss it away by dropping points here.

It really, really should not happen and I don't think it will - but we've seen this film before haven't we.

Just win, redmen.

25 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Use the squad. Bring in Gomez at left back, Konate, Jones and Gakpo from the start. 

Matip is fucked now - so Konate if fit is a cert you'd think.

Gomez might find himself needed at centre half too over the coming games with Matip fucked.

These are absolutely fucking horrendous. Fresh off a 5-0 loss to Burnley. However, our away record coupled with our record against promoted teams makes this one a potential banana skin and one we absolutely have to have right mindset for.

I’d make a number of changes here. Gakpo in place of Diaz. Konate for Matip and Jones for Gravenberch.

Get an early goal and they’ll fold.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

You’re probably right. Elliott and Jones to start?

Feel could be more than that....maybe something like Salah and TAA on bench and i would have said other defensive changes but now Matip is fucked too that is enforced and of course Robbo is still out.

I predict this:

Kelleher

Gomez

Konate

VVD

Tsimikas

Endo

Jones

Szoboszlai

Elliott

Gakpo

Diaz

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Feel could be more than that....maybe something like Salah and TAA on bench and i would have said other defensive changes but now Matip is fucked too that is enforced and of course Robbo is still out.

I predict this:

Kelleher

Gomez

Konate

VVD

Tsimikas

Endo

Jones

Szoboszlai

Elliott

Gakpo

Diaz

Well that would be interesting. 

And a bit of a gamble, even if Sheffield United are very weak. Of course not rotating may be an even bigger gamble, players are clearly being run into the ground across the entire league, and managing the minutes may be vital in the long run.

20 minutes ago, an tha said:

I predict this:

Kelleher

Gomez

Konate

VVD

Tsimikas

Endo

Jones

Szoboszlai

Elliott

Gakpo

Diaz

Can we give Szoboszlai a rest yet?

He's still the player with the third highest minutes and his performances have dropped as his minutes have increased over the last month.

13 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Well that would be interesting. 

And a bit of a gamble, even if Sheffield United are very weak. Of course not rotating may be an even bigger gamble, players are clearly being run into the ground across the entire league, and managing the minutes may be vital in the long run.

It certainly isn't team i'd ideally pick - i just have this feeling it won't be far off.

Klopp has done similar sort of stuff before even in derbies in these mad periods.....he'll likely see this as the easiest game to do it.

The fact we have secured progression and won group in europe helps mind.

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

It certainly isn't team i'd ideally pick - i just have this feeling it won't be far off.

Klopp has done similar sort of stuff before even in derbies in these mad periods.....he'll likely see this as the easiest game to do it.

The fact we have secured progression and won group in europe helps mind.

I'd rest Szob and give MacAllister a run in a forward midfield position.  That's why we bought the lad.  Diaz and Harvey don't really get the juices going, they're both better players from the bench, and both likely to get knocked about a bit by the grocks.  I think we've got to go with idiot bangs for this one - he'll disrupt them.

10 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'd rest Szob and give MacAllister a run in a forward midfield position.  That's why we bought the lad.  Diaz and Harvey don't really get the juices going, they're both better players from the bench, and both likely to get knocked about a bit by the grocks.  I think we've got to go with idiot bangs for this one - he'll disrupt them.

Mac may be out - picked up a "knock" today....