You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Sep 11-15 2023)

tlw content

wtwheader.jpg

Monday Sep 11:

A bit of discussion on the forum over a bit of clickbait Sky ran a few days ago where they had some graphic rating the strikers in the Premier League, and Darwin was in the ‘C’ category with the likes of 

Jay Bothroyd was one of the ‘judges’ and he said “When he has played he’s played the majority of games on the left, and when he has played as a striker I don’t think he’s played well. “We spoke about missing chances, and he’s missed loads of chances. I know pricetags, at £80m, I’m expecting him to come in and score goals, but he hasn’t done it in the Premier League yet. He has to really work on his composure as a striker.”

It’s easy to mock him for that but he clearly doesn’t watch us that often if he thinks most of his games have been on the left. He’s just bought into the narrative he’s seen and heard about how he misses loads of chances and doesn’t have composure. That’s partially true but it’s reacting to a relatively smaller size, and to say he hasn’t scored goals in the Premier League is nonsense because he has. His goals per minutes played is good. Not brilliant, but good for a player in a new league who came into a team that fell off a cliff. 

But there are loads of people, let’s call them morons, who have no idea how good Nunez is and how high his ceiling is. They’ll find out soon enough though, and when they do pieces like this one will get the ridicule they deserve. The most surprising thing about all this though was that I learnt that Bothroyd actually played for England. Fuck me, they really do hand caps out to anyone these days don’t they?

I remember growing up in the 80s and getting an England call up was actually a big thing. Steve McMahon was fucking tearing it up with us but it took a good while before he got a call up. Look at Tommy Smith too. Getting picked for England was really hard once upon a time. Now I find out Bothroyd got a call up despite only scoring *checks notes* SIX top flight goals. Or put another way, five less than Darwin has despite playing twice as many games. 

Saw a story today claiming we’ll move for Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth in January. He’s out of contract in the summer and would be available for £20m. He ticks a few boxes. 24 years old, home grown, left back or centre half, PL experience. I don’t know if he’s any good or not though. He turned us down to join Bournemouth a few years ago but you can understand why young players would make the move that gives them the most playing time. In fact, I respect that as the easy thing to do is take the glamour move.

In other news, Paul Pogba has failed a dope test. Not surprising, he’s always been a massive do… ohhhhh they mean a drugs test. Yeah ok, not surprised by that either, half the games I’ve seen him play in he’s looked like he’s been tranquillised.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
7 hours ago, Razoray said:

Even besides the extra game ban for calling a decision a fucking joke, how the fuck is it worthy of a £100,000 fine? Truly ridiculous 

The only thing I can think of is that fines are related to wages, otherwise the FA are on really dodgy ground considering far worse offences have had much lower fines.

If every player who calls a decision "a fucking joke" gets banned, then we'll be playing five a side in no time. 

• Upvote 1

On 16/09/2023 at 09:15, dave u said:

The only thing I can think of is that fines are related to wages, otherwise the FA are on really dodgy ground considering far worse offences have had much lower fines.

If every player who calls a decision "a fucking joke" gets banned, then we'll be playing five a side in no time. 

Historically if that had been the case Rooney would have had a lot of time off.

• dave u unpinned this topic

I don’t think there’s any conspiracy as to why we always get lumbered with these games, I just think it’s because BT love showing us because the ratings are great. 

I agree, but i also reckon they love getting under our skin and that there'll always be a big chance of an upset. So much is always made of it so they'll love the publicity. I'm just glad we won it and got the monkey off our back. Hopefully we do the same in the derby next month and they can fuck off picking us for that slot.

We’ve done alright of course and hopefully the three lads we brought in for those multi purpose midfield roles will do well enough that we aren’t always looking at Bellingham with regrets about not going all out for him. There’ll probably always be a piece of me that resents how we went about all that, but I’m hoping Szoboslai can make me forget about it.

I asked a question about this on your pod - would you still rather have got Bellingham plus one other cheaper midfielder (say Macallister or Gravenberch) or have the players we did bring in?