You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Real Madrid 5 (Feb 21 2023)

tlw content

13 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Not sure what's going on here or what this means. 

We also have the best record in the league of being ahead at half time. 

It seems that if we concede first or are behind at half time we do not have the energy to come back from it. That is surely mental as well as physical. 

• Upvote 1

Disappointed at the lack of Rocky 3 analogies.

The opportunities were there- we had got the eye of tiger back and we were up in Clubber Langs face going 2-0 up.

If I recall correctly,  before Rocky wins the match he still gets put down a few times but shows the character to get back up and win.

The symmetry is uncanny........

Or were just shit 

I think not replacing players at the opportune time is really going to make this summer transfer window tricky. We need at least 2 midfielders, but that will only be replacing 2 that will be leaving (for free, ffs).

So we'll have Henderson, Fabinho, Bacjetic, Thiago, Milner, Elliott, Jones.

It should work well for Henderson, because we shouldn't be relying on him starting every game anyway. He's done his job - been here 10 years and won everything.

Thiago - cannot be relied upon whatsoever. Yes he's great when he's available, but that's never enough.

Fabinho - time to move him on? or do we trust him to find his best form again?

Bacjetic - obviously been an unbelievable find, but cannot and should not be playing the amount of games he's being asked to play. 

Milner - should obviously keep him but cannot be seen as a viable starter next season.

Jones - what to do with him? Is he ever going to fulfill his potential here? Tough decision due 

Elliott - i'm a big fan of him, but what is he? is he dynamic enough for a starting role in the midfield 3? because he doesn't have the pace to play in a front 3 either.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, there's currently not one midfielder in the squad that you can hang your hat on to be a starter week in, week out next season for Liverpool. And that's a big problem. Keita, Ox and possibly one or 2 others should have been moved on way before now. Bring in a fee for them, however minimal, and replace them with improvements. Instead we totally stood still. You could say the same for other areas of the squad too (Gomez, Bobby to name a couple). Now we're almost relying on righting all these wrongs in one window, and banking on the 2 or 3 midfielders we hopefully bring in to be instant stars.

Think the game showed that Ancelotti is a great manager, irrelevant of where we are at the  minute no team should be coming back from 2-0 at Anfield.

The only thing I can take from it is, it shows just how bad the shite are when even Carlo couldn't fix them. 

The return leg could really knock any confidence we may have regained.

I sent my brother a text at the time that Alaba being replaced by Nacho was not a good thing. Alaba was tucking in so Salah was able to receive the ball facing their goal and then create, pass and move etc. This also meant Rudiger, who is an aggressive defender, was tucked in and our right hand side was doing fierce damage in the first 20 minutes. 

Ancelotti got lucky with Alaba (I agree with a post on here that he didn’t fancy it) but he was clever enough to swap Modric to the right of midfield and Valverde to the left gave them more legs and protection over there.

Nacho pushing up on Salah brought Rudiger wider and he shut anything down that went behind Nacho. As we don't have any runners from midfield it doesn’t matter that this left some space in the centre. 

A Murphy's Law of a night really

22 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Another match, another set of terrible substitutions which makes us worse. 

Agreed - i meant to say that too. What was with that double substitution on 60 minutes when we were 4-2 down? I could have lived with one, but bringing on 2 rusty players to come into the front 3 was weird. More pre planned bollocks?

• dave u unpinned this topic