You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Dec 5-11 2022)

tlw content

wtwheader.jpg

Monday Dec 5:

As much as I wanted England to get beat by Senegal, I can’t deny that I didn’t get a bit of a kick out of the Hendo / Bellingham stuff. They were close before the tournament but they’re fucking inseparable now aren’t they? A proper odd couple. Watching Bellingham in this competition has been an eye opener for me. I obviously knew he was quality but I’ve hardly ever watched him. I wasn’t really sure what kind of player he was and what role he’d fill in our set up. I know he’s played as a 10, as a holding player, out wide and in centre mid. It’s only from watching him these last couple of weeks though that I know what he is. 

He’s Steven Gerrard. Maybe without the long range shooting and ferocious tackling, but otherwise that’s what he looks like. He can do everything. Given his age, he’s worth whatever it would cost to get him. I had two fears about why this deal wouldn’t happen. The first was that we wouldn’t pay the money, the second was that he wouldn’t sign for us if Madrid and City were in for him. I absolutely have no fear about the second one, and given how hard Hendo and Trent are recruiting him I’m not too worried about the first either. We know how much he’ll cost, if we’re still pursuing him then the money must be there. This is happening people.

On the field today, Japan shit the bed in a penalty shoot out with Croatia. The Japanese penalties were truly offensive. They were so soft it angered me watching them. If you’re going to miss a penalty, do it with conviction. The fucking powder puff pens from three of the four Japanese lads (including Taki) were a disgrace. I expected Croatia to win when it went to a shoot out because they’re grizzled veterans of many campaigns, but it’s still annoying as fuck seeing Japan do that.

I didn’t watch any of the Brazil game and I’m glad. Insufferable cunts. I’ve seen a lot of the fallout because of them dancing and I see both sides of it. Some will say that’s what Brazilians have always done, they are the Samba Boys after all and everyone has always buzzed off it. Others, Keane, Souness etc will say they don’t like it, that it’s disrespectful and they shouldn’t be doing it at 4-0. Fucking hell, even the manager was dancing, you just can’t have that (unless it’s my guy ‘Pards’ of course).

To me it’s a little more simple than that. It was fine when it was Bebeto and Romario doing it, or Ronaldinho. They were likeable and those moments are iconic. Neymar and Richarlison and those other cunts doing it is a different matter. As much as I love Alisson, fuck the rest of those guys. Along with Portugal they’ve got the most unlikable group of players in the entire tournament. I definitely don’t want Brazil to win it. Brazil are the team for people who don’t really like football. They just jump on the Brazil bandwagon because they think it’s cool. They aren’t cool. They used to be. Now they’re just bleached blonde wankers. Come on Croatia, stifle the arse out of that game and send them packing. And then dance in front of them.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

England are not cursed. They are just full of cynicism, arrogance, and a sense of entitlement. You don't get the feeling that England players have a great sense of togetherness, that they are ready to run through brick walls for their country, like you get with the Brazilians, Moroccans, Mexicans, or even the Italians for example. It is just a collection of pricks with inflated egos. That is why it never comes home.

England cursed….no chance, too many bottlers who don‘t know how to win. How many of the present team had won a major competition, Hendo. the city crew don’t count as they have had the need to think on their feet coached out of them; you could see that yesterday in the city players in the Portugal game. Almost All the French team were major winners Jonathan Liew had a great take on it in yesrerday‘s paper. He was spot on. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

England are not cursed. They are just full of cynicism, arrogance, and a sense of entitlement. You don't get the feeling that England players have a great sense of togetherness, that they are ready to run through brick walls for their country, like you get with the Brazilians, Moroccans, Mexicans, or even the Italians for example. It is just a collection of pricks with inflated egos. That is why it never comes home.

Ok, I have no time for England but I feel like I can't let that go unchallenged because it's mostly bollocks.

The nation is full of a sense of entitlement, arrogance to a degree as well. The team isn't. They also have as good a sense of togetherness as any England squad I can remember. Just because they dance like cunts doesn't mean Brazil have a better 'togetherness'. And I wouldn't be citing Mexico as an example of anything seeing as how they never achieve anything at all. And seeing as how you mentioned Italy, where are they? Oh yeah, they didn't even qualify. Just because they have a belting anthem they love to sing (as do I) doesn't mean they've got some amazing sense of cameraderie.

Look at the manner of England's exits. It's always painful for them and hilarious to the rest of us. Hand of God, the Lampard 'goal', countless penalty shoot outs, Gazza being a toe nail away from knocking out Germany, the way Kane hits a pen over the bar after doing the exact same thing as a piss take with Jonny Wilkinson. Its not normal!

They're cursed I tells ya!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok, I have no time for England but I feel like I can't let that go unchallenged because it's mostly bollocks.

The nation is full of a sense of entitlement, arrogance to a degree as well. The team isn't. They also have as good a sense of togetherness as any England squad I can remember. Just because they dance like cunts doesn't mean Brazil have a better 'togetherness'. And I wouldn't be citing Mexico as an example of anything seeing as how they never achieve anything at all. And seeing as how you mentioned Italy, where are they? Oh yeah, they didn't even qualify. Just because they have a belting anthem they love to sing (as do I) doesn't mean they've got some amazing sense of cameraderie.

Look at the manner of England's exits. It's always painful for them and hilarious to the rest of us. Hand of God, the Lampard 'goal', countless penalty shoot outs, Gazza being a toe nail away from knocking out Germany, the way Kane hits a pen over the bar after doing the exact same thing as a piss take with Jonny Wilkinson. Its not normal!

They're cursed I tells ya!

I have different impressions than you when it comes to the togetherness of England squads in general. The same has been raised by past England players also. Maybe the current crop are closer but I still don’t think they are as tightly knit as players of other countries. But these are just my impressions, and I appreciate other people may see it differently. 

Brazilians are famous for how they stick together even when playing for rival teams in Europe. It’s not just the samba that brings them together.

The Mexicans give me the impression they could run through brick walls for each other. They are not world beaters because togetherness is necessary but not sufficient. You need other qualities to achieve success. Other qualities that England have in abundance.

The Italians may be out of this world cup but they have only recently over achieved and won a major tournament at Wembley thanks mainly to their wonderful team spirit and togetherness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, aws said:

England were probably the best side in the tournament in theory but as is usual they underachieved in practice.  They didn’t start to play against France until they were behind. 

I'm sorry, but a team whose first 7 players on the teamsheet are Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Hendo and Rice is quite a way from being the best side in the tournament, and 3 of the other 4 come in the promising youngster category.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm sorry, but a team whose first 7 players on the teamsheet are Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Hendo and Rice is quite a way from being the best side in the tournament, and 3 of the other 4 come in the promising youngster category.

So who is then? France?

Lloris is no better than Pickford, he may even be worse. The right back isn't better than Walker (or indeed Trippier, Trent or James for that matter). The left back was a fucking train wreck against England. Upemacano looked like Lovren on one of his brainless days, diving in trying to win everything and making a twat of himself.

Don't be dissing Hendo! Rice is over-rated because he's English, but he's still a very good player.

Maybe you want to go with Brazil? Best keeper in the world. A right back who couldn't displace Walker at City. Thiago Silva is brilliant but he's ancient. I can't even remember who is alongside him. Marquinos is it? Yeah, very good player. Can't remember who the left back is, but he's not Roberto Carlos or Marcelo.

Casemiro isn't all that, and the other lad in midfield is at West Ham where Declan Rice is by far their best player, so there is that.

Maybe you want to go Argentina? Villa's keeper, a tiny centre back we've all been laughing at and I can't even remember who the others are, because they're all bang average.

On paper Spain look good, but the front end of the pitch is vastly inferior to the attacking options England have. Germany? Nah. Portugal? A mix of world class and bang average.

"Quite a way from being the best". Who are they quite a way behind then?

Look, I'm glad England didn't win but there was a real chance that it could have happened. France were my last hope really because I don't think anyone else would have beaten them. Maybe Croatia could have pulled it off again like they did four years ago, but I wouldn't have bet on it.

If they get a better coach than Southgate then I'll be worried.

4 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

England cursed….no chance, too many bottlers who don‘t know how to win. How many of the present team had won a major competition, Hendo. the city crew don’t count as they have had the need to think on their feet coached out of them; you could see that yesterday in the city players in the Portugal game. Almost All the French team were major winners Jonathan Liew had a great take on it in yesrerday‘s paper. He was spot on. 

That's fair, you can defo point to them bottling it like they do every time. That said, France were really fucking jammy as they were abysmal at the back and rode their luck all night. The referee was an absolute disgrace and gave England (especially Saka) fuck all. I'm glad about that, but I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen as it was obvious. 

England don't know how to win, that can't really be argued against. It's also fair to say that there's always some mad shit going on when they go out, which just makes it all the more funny.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I said they were probably the best side - I didn’t say they were good. The standard has been mostly piss poor which is why there have been so many shocks. 

• Upvote 1

All of the great memories we have from the Reds’ success is something that 95% of fans in this country have never - and will never - experience with their clubs.

By far the best explanation I've read. I also don't want England to win anything and doubt I could offer a better explanation. Bit gutted for my Grandsons as i know they wanted it, but they'll learn.

Never been so uninterested in a world cup. England v Senegal is the only game ive sat down and watched. Will watch the final as ive never missed one, although i expect it to be a boring 1-0 or penogs victory.

• Upvote 1

The 'foul' on Saka reminded me of the one not given against Origi away at Old Trafford. 9 times out of 10 they're given. And now with VAR there's absolutely no excuse. I don't even think they checked it!

Same as the foul on Kane not given. There's an argument it was outside the box, although i think it probably lasted long enough to deem that it continued inside the box. But compare it to some of the penalties that have been given in the tournament and it's an absolute stone waller.

If either incidents had happened to Messi or Ronaldo they would have 100% both been given

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic