You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax 0 Liverpool 3 (Oct 26 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Job done although it was a little hairy in the beginning. Technically we can still top the group if we beat Napoli by four, but even if that were possible (almost certainly not, assuming Napoli don’t field the reserves) the cons of trying to do that far outweighs the pros of somehow doing it. 

The main thing was to secure qualification and render next week’s game essentially just a dead rubber. And we did that. It may have been different had Ajax not missed a sitter inside of two minutes when Bergheus somehow hit the post with the goal gaping. Ajax had their moments in the opening half an hour but after that we seemed to figure out what we were doing and we dominated the last hour of the game, scoring three in the process.

The early teething troubles were probably down to the latest change in formation, plus the nasty habit we’ve developed of starting slowly. Our first half form has been an issue for most of the season really, and this was shaping up to be another one to add to the list. The sitter we gave up was a little unlucky as it comes about from a deflected ball that fell perfectly for them. It looked a certain goal and another one of those nightmare starts we’ve had so often. This time it didn’t go in and we didn’t have that hill to climb.

It wasn’t good for half an hour though. In fact, it was awful. We couldn’t get any kind of a foothold in the game because we had no control of midfield and there were spaces everywhere. Not because of any individual failing, but we were playing a new system and it wasn’t exactly orthodox. I said this on the pod, but the best way to describe how we played was it was that weird, wide diamond that you see on Footy Manager but don’t use. It always freaks me out looking at it, with the two on the side of the diamond so far wide, leaving the entire middle of the field to be covered by the poor bastard at the base of the diamond (in this case Fabinho). Any time I’ve used that diamond on Footy Manager (or FIFA for that matter) the first thing I do is tuck those two side players inside more because you just can’t have the middle that wide open.

But watching us, it was weird because Elliott and Henderson looked like they were playing the wide positions in a 4-4-2. They weren’t of course, but it often looked like it. I don’t think we suffered defensively from it as it’s not like Ajax were just running amok through the middle, but we seemed too far apart when we had the ball and could barely string three passes together.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

We need to get Bergwijn on every opposition we play, as Robbo  quite clearly hated him and it seemed to spur him onto his best performance of the season.

Don't think the Berghaus chance was anywhere near an empty goal either, watched from the camera behind the goal Ali was only a fingertip away from the actual effort that hit the post.

There's a good video on the Echo's ( absolutely shit ) website showing Bajcetic whacking a pass right into Milner's gronkers and then running off to avoid him while Konate is pissing himself.

• Upvote 4

Good report Dave. Agree about how people are looking at Darwin. Said it before, if that gammuck down the East Lancs was playing like he did at Dortmund, he wouldnt be getting the attention nor Darwin being compared to him.

I think we've been slow starters at the beginning of a half for years and it's not recent.

The second half goal within 2 minutes in the EL Final. The goal at the emptihad in the first CL game when Virgil was robbed in the first 2 minutes. Same in the cup semi final start of the 2nd half against city, conceeded within 2 minutes. Napoli, arsenal, there are more games Ive forgotten.

It nearly happened again last night. I dont get why the coaching staff havent recognised it and done something about it after 7 years.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

We need to get Bergwijn on every opposition we play, as Robbo  quite clearly hated him and it seemed to spur him onto his best performance of the season.

Don't think the Berghaus chance was anywhere near an empty goal either, watched from the camera behind the goal Ali was only a fingertip away from the actual effort that hit the post.

There's a good video on the Echo's ( absolutely shit ) website showing Bajcetic whacking a pass right into Milner's gronkers and then running off to avoid him while Konate is pissing himself.

I don’t think Ali’s getting enough (any?) credit for getting his angles spot on. View the chance from behind the goal and Ali’s leaving him very little to aim at (he probably should still score though)

• Upvote 2

It is easier to make runs when the opposition want to play but this was the difference from satdee. 

Looking at the other groups I think coming top is likely to provide a much easier fixture than second (not always the case) so we may well go strong next week. Especially as spurs need to play their best team. 

5 hours ago, aws said:

Excellent read. A 3-0 against Napoli puts us top on away goals which is achievable if we score first so I think we’ll start with a strong side and pile the subs on if things aren’t going to plan. 

Did we score in Naples? I thought it was 4-0.

12 hours ago, aws said:

Excellent read. A 3-0 against Napoli puts us top on away goals which is achievable if we score first so I think we’ll start with a strong side and pile the subs on if things aren’t going to plan. 

Behave, Andrew.

They could have had us for 8 in Naples and we’ll be even more open at Anfield.

They’re a proper team and will run the legs off us, in the middle of their 13 game winning streak.

I think you’re underselling how poor we were in the first 40 minutes.

Before our muscle memory kicked in and we got down to Kloppian business it was as an alarming a performance as we’ve had in 7 years. 

Obviously we kicked it into high gear and showed these punks how it’s done, but in isolation it was a very worrying game of football.

I do think we’ll show Leeds, Derby and Southampton who’s boss and position ourselves strongly for the second half of the season, but I think Spurs and Napoli games have the potential to be ugly.

I mean 30 posts from Daisy, FrenchEyeGlass and Grinch ugly.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic