You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liz fucking Truss then.....

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

This for me is why Labour could win the next election. 

Starmer has rebranded the party - rightly or wrongly - as a party these people feel they can 'do business with'. The next milestone on the horizon, probably closer to the election, will be a Murdoch press endorsement. 

I sincerely hope not.

58 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

This is only the beginning they won’t stop now. 

If memory serves,when the pandemic was on,I'm sure johnson stood up and was praising the private companies coming in to save the day.

It went largely under the radar with everything else going on but you can see it coming.

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not interested in the King-maker's backing in a race to become King?

As for the u-turn, well, their backers are laughing their bollocks off because they'll have made loads out of shorting. All going to plan. 

I hope starmer is intelligent enough to realise, murdoch can't be trusted.

I think it certainly damaged Blair in the long term and murdoch certainly won't give his support for free.

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I hope starmer is intelligent enough to realise, murdoch can't be trusted.

I think it certainly damaged Blair in the long term and murdoch certainly won't give his support for free.

I hope he's intelligent enough to know that he probably needs them to get elected, takes that support, then pegs them whilst in power. I very much hope he doesn't fall into the trap of thinking like you on this one. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I hope he's intelligent enough to know that he probably needs them to get elected, takes that support, then pegs them whilst in power. I very much hope he doesn't fall into the trap of thinking like you on this one. 

Think murdoch will let him get away with doing that?

Obviously I can see the logic in getting all the support you can,I just think it's playing a dangerous game,getting tied in with that evil cunt.

Heard mick lynch getting interviewed on r4 the other day and it was a really aggressive line of questioning (why are you inconveniencing people during the marathon, are you enjoying this attention too much?)

Certainly a far cry from the fawning by the likes of kunsberg and Robinson

This will embolden the parliamentary party despite the 80 seat majority. They bought down Johnson, they can make Truss do u turns within almost hours certainly days, they will feel they are running the show now not the cabinet. The net result will be almost nothing will get done until the GE as there isn’t much concensus amongst MPs on other policy areas particularly the contentious stuff like planning laws. Truss won’t risk another backlash so she’ll fill her days meeting foreign leaders rather than trying to push through unpopular policies. It’s a dead duck government already. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This will embolden the parliamentary party despite the 80 seat majority. They bought down Johnson, they can make Truss do u turns within almost hours certainly days, they will feel they are running the show now not the cabinet. The net result will be almost nothing will get done until the GE as there isn’t much concensus amongst MPs on other policy areas particularly the contentious stuff like planning laws. Truss won’t risk another backlash so she’ll fill her days meeting foreign leaders rather than trying to push through unpopular policies. It’s a dead duck government already. 

Good, hopefully that'll prevent these loons from doing too much damage before the next GE. Although if the ERG is still pulling the strings, I'm sure they'll manage to get some heinous stuff through.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's interesting that 'traditional' conservatism seems to no longer exist.

The current crop's biggest opponents are people like Peter Oborne, Rory Stewart and John Major. 

Likewise in the States, some of the biggest opponents of Maga are former/current Republicans. 

It shows you how far to the right it's all actually moved. Conservatism has become a money-sucking cabal masquerading as white supremacy. 

Completely agree. Johnsonism and MAGA aren't anything to do with traditional left and right. They're kleptocrat regimes - no different to Putin and his lads really - with a populist front that's centred around fear of change and social conservativism, which has been skilfully engineered and is more easily manipulated as it exploits emotions. Their entire approach is to say what people want to hear, then once they've got their attention (and votes) get on with the task at hand: enriching their mates (in anticipation of their cut) at the expense of the taxpayer - a much more lucrative field to plough than simply fleecing individuals.

Both Johnson and Trump had smatterings of economic right wing and left wing - albeit more right than left - thinking in there: Johnson loved big state infrastructure projects and Trump loved talking about re-energising heavy industry - but with both, those were secondary to the "sink the boats and build the wall" messaging. They're social conservatives first, then a mongrel of left and right afterwards to try and maintain broad appeal, and to stop any kind of left or right consensus being built up against them. They want to re-orientate the political compass so that their opposition comes from social liberals, which is a much harder position to build opposition from.

Truss isn't as clever. She's still big on the culture wars bollocks but she's going in too hard on right wing economic policies which makes her too easy to attack from the left, and has therefore basically opened up a big fuck off centre for Starmer to move into and occupy. Sunak was naive - he thought people voted for Johnson because he was Conservative and pushed more traditional Conservative economic ideas to the fore - without realising that without the culture war shite (and a touch of cult of personality), Johnson's economic ideas would have basically been ignored.

It does feel as though their strategy is cracking under its own weight. Christ I hope so.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Good, hopefully that'll prevent these loons from doing too much damage before the next GE. Although if the ERG is still pulling the strings, I'm sure they'll manage to get some heinous stuff through.

The damage is done . Interest rates and inflation are not going to disappear overnight and when re-possessions kick in there will be an even bigger shitstorm.

Truss will be dumped well before the GE and Sunak installed without a membership vote . Whist this may help them I doubt anything now will keep them in office but I would be surprised if we get Labour landslide .