You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

3 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Reading all the stuff on Nunez's hard upbringing, he and Diaz are going to sound like a Four Yorkshiremen tribute act:

DIAZ: 'There were a hundred and fifty of us in shoebox in middle of road'.

NUNEZ: Luxury!

They were lucky 

His stats imply he's clinical and ive been bitching all year about our players dreadful shooting. Fortunately they're fucking brilliant at creating lots of chances, if Darwin can limit my rage at the pea roller, the scuff shot, the missing the target by 3 feet time after time then its money well spent. Its hard to pick at this side our high scoring sides shooting is my elbows too pointy.

• Upvote 3

I keep hearing that he's over performing on his XG. Are we overpaying for a purple patch. Has anybody watched him enough to have a real eye test opinion. Youtube videos look like he's a player that likes to run into space. 

Just sign already so I can fill my lazy day with shite content.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I keep hearing that he's over performing on his XG. Are we overpaying for a purple patch. Has anybody watched him enough to have a real eye test opinion. Youtube videos look like he's a player that likes to run into space. 

Just sign already so I can fill my lazy day with shite content.

Regarding xG, I think the worry is a bunch of his shots just went through the keepers, which is more a reflection on the standard of goalkeeping in Portugal than a striker's proficiency.

Having said that, watching his goals in chronological order, you can see his finishing get more composed. This was evident when he slotted past Alisson. Whilst we wouldn't sign someone just because they played well against us, it did show a player capable of rising to the occasion, and a mentality Klopp can work with.

16 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Regarding xG, I think the worry is a bunch of his shots just went through the keepers, which is more a reflection on the standard of goalkeeping in Portugal than a striker's proficiency.

Having said that, watching his goals in chronological order, you can see his finishing get more composed. This was evident when he slotted past Alisson. Whilst we wouldn't sign someone just because they played well against us, it did show a player capable of rising to the occasion, and a mentality Klopp can work with.

I said similar after watching the goals compilation. The early ones were Darren Bent-ish. Loads went through the keeper and weren't in the corners, but the longer the video went on the better the finishes were. His finishing at Anfield was sensational, fortunately for us most of them were offside.

I think you can work on finishing though, you can't teach natural instinct like Fowler had but you can hone it, Salah and Sturridge being recent examples.

What we've needed for ages though is someone who can nick a goal. We're good at battering people but in games where we're not at our best, it'd be good to just have someone who can come out of nowhere and get a head on something. Jota is the closest we've got to that but is relatively poor at the rest of it compared to out other attackers.

Darwin Núñez: Liverpool director of football flies to Portugal in effort to reduce fee

James Gheerbrant

Julian Ward’s determination to oversee a breakthrough in a deal for the Uruguay striker is such that he is now conducting face-to-face discussions with Benfica’s key decision-makers, Rui Pedro Braz and Rui Costa.

With the structure of the deal outstanding, no transfer has been agreed — although Liverpool remain hopeful of signing Núñez.

There is an expectation that matters will run over into next week given a medical would also have to be arranged for the player, who has been on international duty. Contrary to reports, Liverpool have not asked for Núñez to be released from the Uruguay squad before their game with Panama on Saturday evening.

Personal terms will not be a problem and the fact that Núñez will not be one of the highest earners at the club is a reason why Liverpool will pay such a significant transfer fee.

Liverpool know the player wants to move to Anfield and join Jürgen Klopp’s side having impressed against them when scoring home and away in the quarter-final of the Champions League this season.

Manchester United have shown an interest in Núñez, but they cannot offer him Champions League football. In addition, the uncertainty of playing for Erik ten Hag, embarking on a new era at the Manchester club, is less appealing that Klopp’s Liverpool.

Before Benfica, Núñez was at Almeria, who are due to receive 20 per cent of any profit above the £20.4 million Benfica paid for him in 2020.

This week could be busy for Liverpool, with Bayern Munich set to return with a third bid for Sadio Mané, which will be more in line with their £40 million valuation of the Senegal striker. The German club have so far had bids of £25 million and £30 million rejected.

Liverpool expect to sell the Japan forward Takumi Minamino, with Monaco leading the chase for a player who is valued at £17 million. Minamino cost Liverpool £7.5 million in January 2020 due to a clause in his contract at RB Salzburg.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have bid about £4 million for the Aberdeen right back Calvin Ramsay with a further £2 million linked to add-ons for the 18-year-old. A deal has yet to be agreed with Aberdeen, who are seeking more bonuses from the proposed transfer.

48 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

He's been withdrawn from the Uruguay squad for their friendly, supposedly to fly to the UK for his medical. Hopefully photos of him leaning against something will show up this week, allowing us to assess how well he'll fit in.

He can lean on Luis for now

1 minute ago, Elite said:

If there's one thing (there's many) that Jurgen excels at, it's buying forwards.

Yes. And the fact that there are fans that still doubt a manager who has won everything a PL manager can in the last five years says more about the modern fan than a,soon to be,legendary manager.*

*My definition of 'legend' happens at retirement and not before.

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I take the point being made about him scoring in tight matches, but I also think it will be a big help to have somebody who can help kill off teams early and avoid huffing and puffing until the latter stages, so we can use the new 5 sub rule. 

We might also see the return of the Red Arrows. 

32 minutes ago, Elite said:

If there's one thing (there's many) that Jurgen excels at, it's buying forwards.

A lot of the heavy lifting is done by the recruitment team, it's Klopp's excellence that is getting the best out of them but it's not entirely on him.

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I said similar after watching the goals compilation. The early ones were Darren Bent-ish. Loads went through the keeper and weren't in the corners, but the longer the video went on the better the finishes were. His finishing at Anfield was sensational, fortunately for us most of them were offside.

Are we still doing evolution puns?