You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

7 hours ago, Code said:

When he fell over at the start of the game I got this picture in my mind. 

His assist was good, but he really needs to start get goals against the top teams as well.

His last against a top 10 team came 24th of September against West Ham.

IMG_0503.gif

Could be wrong but did the assist come off his shoulder?

He’d be great if he was the Origi but never felt like he was good enough to be Liverpool’s number 9.

He's clumsy as fuck. Never seen a top level player like it. 

He'd probably do well at Man U - he'd suit their chaotic style quite well.

We've needed someone with a brain who can carry out Klopp and Ljinders tactics. He can't. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he's benched next game and Gakpo brought in (who I don't really like tbh). 

When he hit a purple patch recently we thought we'd got a player.  He's gone off the boil at the worst possible time.

People saying the assist wasn't good, though, are just cynical.  He won an aerial ball in the box and put it into a dangerous area.

Maybe he needs a rocket up him again - spend a bit of time as an impact sub.

Also, I am still irritated that he hasn't learned better English by now.  

He's consistently divisive, I'll give him that.

I've been straight down the middle with Darwin, infact I've probably been more patient with him than any other player I can remember as I was desperate for him to do well but Sunday was a real eye opener.

I knew he was going to have a bad game the moment he had Maguire one on one and instead of going at one of the slowest defenders in the league, he turned to look for Salah and slipped. These are the games he needs his game face on but he was really, really bad. 12 passes, 50% success with those, 5 shots none on target and some dreadful play in-between.

In another thread there's talk of would you go into next season with the same forwards. We are in the clutch part of the season and it's would you go into those crunch games with him. At the moment we have to so I'm praying he can hit another purple patch.

2 hours ago, razor said:

When he hit a purple patch recently we thought we'd got a player.  He's gone off the boil at the worst possible time.

Think the problem is since he's signed this has been par and the little purple patches are where everyone gets really excited and starts hailing the start of a great career but we always revert to type, he seems very much a boom or bust player when we're crying out for consistency.

When you're sandwiched between Chris Woods and Richarlison in the league scoring chart despite taking the most shots of any player in the league (or 69 and 42 more than Woods and Richarlison respectively) and struggle to score a goal against top half teams then it's not enough whether you're padding out those numbers against the likes of Toulouse, USG, Sparta Prague and LASK or not.

We're coming up to 2 years at the club and his 25th birthday.

I just think him and Diaz together is too much bizarreness for a front 3. Like the fucking double take brothers. Throw in Salah still effective but like a knife with a turd for a handle this year. Maybe against atlanta just play Gakpo as an out and out 9. Do number 9 things don't play playmaker be a greedy aggravating cunt, use your physical prowess and if a shots on aim to bend the keeper in half at least. A fine for every pea roller and every shitty lofted shot.

• Upvote 1

He's actually a stat nerd player. Gets all the shots off, his xG and per 90 stuff is through the roof and he's racked up some of the basic goal and assist stats as well in all comps but a lot of the time on eye test he's a donkey and he's decidedly not been a big game player this year. 

Yeah his XG says he should have just under 18 league goals(17.7) and there isn't penalties inflating his numbers. He has 11. Since he joined he is 12 goals behind what the stat nerds says he should have. 20 goals instead of 32. It's a shame at times he looks special but he is still really erratic 

This season his goals are

Newcastle x2

West Ham

Forest x2

Burnley x2

Bournemouth x2

Brentford

Sheff Utd

Assists

Villa

Brighton

Everton

Brentford

Sheff Utd

Newcastle

Chelsea

Man Utd

Darwin Nunez has taken 78 shots in 29 matches so far in the Premier League 2023/2024 season. Of the 78 shots, 41 shots were on target and the other 37 shots were off target. That means that Nunez Ribeiro's shooting accuracy is 52.56%. He scores a goal for every 7.09 shots he takes and takes 4.02 shots per 90 minutes on the pitch

Darwin Nunez has assisted 8 goals in 29 matches so far in the Premier League 2023/2024 season. Looking into his passing aspect of the game, Nunez Ribeiro passes the ball roughly 21.03 times during a game with a pass completion rate of 72.79%

Screenshot_20240409_134315_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I just think him and Diaz together is too much bizarreness for a front 3. Like the fucking double take brothers. Throw in Salah still effective but like a knife with a turd for a handle this year. Maybe against atlanta just play Gakpo as an out and out 9. Do number 9 things don't play playmaker be a greedy aggravating cunt, use your physical prowess and if a shots on aim to bend the keeper in half at least. A fine for every pea roller and every shitty lofted shot.

I do miss the days of a Rush/Owen/Fowler style striker. 

The front three are talented but unwieldy and unbalanced. 

On 09/04/2024 at 11:05, Section_31 said:

I do miss the days of a Rush/Owen/Fowler style striker. 

The front three are talented but unwieldy and unbalanced. 

What does that mean "a Rush/Owen/Fowler style striker?

I think when you sign someone who scored 30 goals the season before you buy him, you think you're buying a top striker. So is he not a top striker?

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What does that mean "a Rush/Owen/Fowler style striker?

I think when you sign someone who scored 30 goals the season before you buy him, you think you're buying a top striker. So is he not a top striker?

It means a striker who you expect to score when presented with a decent chance. 

Was hoping he had built up some confidence to cover for his limited technique and skill. Let’s be honest. As “exciting” as he may be, he’s just not good enough to start every game. Jota looked proper rusty too, and Salah looks like he’s playing injured.

This game gave me proper bad vibes for the run in, hopefully there’s a bit more left in the tank for us to squeeze out some league wins and keep our title hopes alive.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

It means a striker who you expect to score when presented with a decent chance. 

Yeah, it was a bit of a rhetorical question. Lot of goal-post moving with our manbuned Uruguayan. 

Got some people who think stats are nonsense telling you he has got a great goal p90 record and that means he has been great. Mind you, it is also great when he doesnt score because Klopp doesnt need his centre forwards to score apparently. 

And meanwhile a big stat that matters; the fact he scores about 1 in 10 chances, thats totally fine. 

8 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Absolutely love the guy, through the good bad and ugly I just don’t care, love him. Backing him all the way, starting by firing us to the Prem title.

Love the optimism and hope it isn’t misplaced fella.

There are plenty of things to like about him and it looked like he was kicking on and taking his chances but thats starting to look like a purple patch and not much more. As Code has said his goals are generally against the smaller sides and nobody has stepped up in the biggest games this year. In the 4 games with City and Arsenal our only goals have been one from Salah and Trent, a own goal and a Mac Allister pen. That one on one today was as bad as just about any he has missed, either slide it past him on his left foot or if he is another afriad of his weaker foot try and poke it round him with the outside of his right or walk it round a keeper thats committed himself.

I would love nothing more than he started taking these chances but there is only so long you can be "Unlucky" or "Overthinking things". 

Some of these are good efforts but some of the misses are just not acceptable at this level. We are 9 goals behind Arsenal in goal difference which is near impossible to make up now and all the forwards have wasted enough chances for that to be a swing the other way. I just see him ever being clinical enough for long enough to be the guy to lead the attack after Mo which was obviously what he was partly bought for. Put Isak,Watkins,Bowen or Son in his place and we would probably have edged some of them draws