You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Next two league games he should excel- neither opposition will sit back, plenty of space- big chance for him to build a head of steam. Im confident he will do it

If we dont sign another forward in Jan this lad will be key in the title run in- one way or another

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Dangerous said:

He’s deffo a bit thick. He was offside from a goal kick yesterday. If we were to fuck him off I’d say turn Mo in to Bobby and sign a pacy winger. Creative Mo roaming free with intelligent pace around him would be fantastic.

Really? You can't be offside from a goal kick.

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's what I thought too. A corner, goal kick and throw in. 

Same. But saw someone say he’d ran back into our half to get his head on it so the flag goes up. It wasnt the only time he done it, hence  why they were taking  free kicks in our half from offsides. 

Couldn’t believe how many times he was straying offside tho. They were stopping and freeze framing the play for other incidents and if we’d have got the ball then he’d have been offside again. He burnt my head out yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Same. But saw someone say he’d ran back into our half to get his head on it so the flag goes up. It wasnt the only time he done it, hence  why they were taking  free kicks in our half from offsides. 

Couldn’t believe how many times he was straying offside tho. They were stopping and freeze framing the play for other incidents and if we’d have got the ball then he’d have been offside again. He burnt my head out yesterday. 

No matter where he is when he touches the ball from offside, the offence is where he is when offside. It should never be in our half. 

And he's perfectly allowed to stand in an offside position from a goalkick and come back to the ball. I don't recall that being given to be honest and if it was, it's wrong and the most basic of mistakes from the lino - unless of course they've changed the rule this season, but I never heard that. 

Just watched the offsides from the full game on LFCtv and the one he's referring to was from a goal kick taken short then hit upfield. By the time Darwin received it, he was in our half. He must have come from an offside position off camera - flagged correctly when he touched the ball in our half.

He can be annoying when he doesn't watch the line, but similarly, he makes some brilliant runs that aren't picked out by our midfield quickly enough. He definitely makes our attack more exciting, offsides or not, so the haters can fuck off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

Just watched the offsides from the full game on LFCtv and the one he's referring to was from a goal kick taken short then hit upfield. By the time Darwin received it, he was in our half. He must have come from an offside position off camera - flagged correctly when he touched the ball in our half.

He can be annoying when he doesn't watch the line, but similarly, he makes some brilliant runs that aren't picked out by our midfield quickly enough. He definitely makes our attack more exciting, offsides or not, so the haters can fuck off.

Our midfield miss just about all his runs. I don't really know how we fix it. It's a run we just don't seem to look for. It took the city players a long time to get haalands runs, in fact I think they still miss them often now, but they're better at finding him than they were. 

6 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Well that attitudes not gonna improve things

• Haha 1

I thought the Haaland comparisons were off the menu from the beginning?

I’m not ready to be blaming the midfield for his lack of goals.

Excitement? Love it, but give me goals all day.

Come on Darwin lad- put this debate to bed in-the next two games!

I'd be tempted to try him out left, salah in the middle and Szobozlai out right. I dont like Trent in midfield but it seems that's the future so I'd be playing Gomez right back, fuck this inverted shit we aren't winning because we are tactically superior to sides, we have mostly been poor and moments of brilliance from individuals like Allison or Salah are keeping us alive. One thing in the team that is gelling is Salah and Nunez together so if Nunez shifts to the left I'd shift Salah to the middle, I reckon we'd get more from Szobozlai on the right than we currently get from Diaz on the left. I'd probably play a 4231 until we actually bought a number 6 who I thought was a worthy successor to Fabinho.

We've got to be looking at other things surely as what's the reasoning behind these terrible performances game after game. Papering over the cracks is clichéd as fuck but what's the underlying issue to these symptoms of looking like a team that doesn't look like it knows what it should be doing for large parts of the game. There's also the very valid argument of we are top of the league soft shite so don't change a winning formula. It just doesn't feel that way... until it does. Click already.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd be tempted to try him out left, salah in the middle and Szobozlai out right. I dont like Trent in midfield but it seems that's the future so I'd be playing Gomez right back, fuck this inverted shit we aren't winning because we are tactically superior to sides, we have mostly been poor and moments of brilliance from individuals like Allison or Salah are keeping us alive. One thing in the team that is gelling is Salah and Nunez together so if Nunez shifts to the left I'd shift Salah to the middle, I reckon we'd get more from Szobozlai on the right than we currently get from Diaz on the left. I'd probably play a 4231 until we actually bought a number 6 who I thought was a worthy successor to Fabinho.

We've got to be looking at other things surely as what's the reasoning behind these terrible performances game after game. Papering over the cracks is clichéd as fuck but what's the underlying issue to these symptoms of looking like a team that doesn't look like it knows what it should be doing for large parts of the game. There's also the very valid argument of we are top of the league soft shite so don't change a winning formula. It just doesn't feel that way... until it does. Click already.

Agree with the first part

I liked how we set up at the end of the game this weekend. Klopp mentioned going into 4231 in the presser. 

Gomez----Konate---Virg---Tsimikas 

--------------Trent---Mac Callister

Szoboszlai--------Elliot--------Nunez

---------------------------Salah

If Mac Callister is unfit put Endo in there

There was no avoiding the Haaland comparisons. We’d been going toe to toe with them for 4 years and both clubs needed a number 9 the same summer. There’s worked. Ours hasn’t so far. 

Im never gonna let this go but one thing were crying out for is having left footed players going behind right backs and the same on our right. This inverted forward shites been long sussed out yet we still persist with it with no success. 

45 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I thought the Haaland comparisons were off the menu from the beginning?

I’m not ready to be blaming the midfield for his lack of goals.

Excitement? Love it, but give me goals all day.

Come on Darwin lad- put this debate to bed in-the next two games!

It was not a haaland comparison. It was a comparison of our midfield and city's. Remembering our midfield is brand new this season, so even though Darwin has been here 18 months, they haven't. I don't think the midfield is finding anyone very well. Most of our decent quick passing is coming from Trent and occasionally vvd. Macca has probably been the best passer from the 4 new players despite his struggles as a 6. We missed him yesterday in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Couple things we could previously say about Nunez - "his movement is elite and he is really good at timing runs". Generally he wasnt caught offside often. But he has now been caught offside so many times this past few weeks and I reckon it's because his confidence is gone. Mentally he's fucked - he's going so early on runs because he just wants to get through on goal as quickly as possible. Rather than having a thought or bending his runs like he usually did.

Yesterday was the first time I got genuinely worried about Nunez this season. 8 appearances without a goal and a severe dip in confidence. I found myself hoping Jota is back very soon. Because with Salah going off to the AFCON and Diaz still flattering to deceive, Jota would be our only credible source of goals early next year.

I only saw the game up 'til they went 1-0 up yesterday but did he have a single chance?

We know he's not really a Suarez/Torres type player who makes goals from nothing on a regular basis so I'm not sure what we were expecting from him yesterday. If the team are playing shite & don't create chances for him, he's not going to score.

He needs quick balls in behind or crosses coming in.

The offside thing is a problem though, he needs to sort that out and quickly.

4 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

I just think in the last few games his offsides and other errors have outweighed his positive contributions.  Here's hoping he gets it together for the Mancs.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Our midfield miss just about all his runs. I don't really know how we fix it. It's a run we just don't seem to look for. It took the city players a long time to get haalands runs, in fact I think they still miss them often now, but they're better at finding him than they were. 

We need Robbo back. Or Jota. Both actually look to run on the outside and play it into areas where the striker might be, rather than turn inside and hope there'll be some pathway open up through the trees. Diaz and Salah play it inside way too much.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I just think in the last few games his offsides and other errors have outweighed his positive contributions.  Here's hoping he gets it together for the Mancs.

Well they just made Dom Solanke look like the second coming so Nunez should tear them apart. As I said, I do love Nunez but I do wonder, and it’s a heavy begrudging, that if Stacksy was right and the stuff he’s missing isn’t really coachable at this stage and he’ll just be a high end Divock Origi hand grenade we throw on at 70 minutes.