You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

5 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

Because we have a bunch of mongs following us, Nunez scored because he didn’t have to think apparently, must have missed the darting run he made to get into position and literally tell Gakpo where he wanted it, fucking retarded cunts.

He was actually fouled in the build up but got back up to slot it home too. He had to definitely think about that.

Good young strikers are in short supply all very erratic and no one ripping it up. Even watched Watkins last night and in a very good villa first half totally anonymous. Then the second nothing. I would go as far as to say we have the best of this generation in the premiership at minute. I am prepared to give him time there is plenty to like . We have been spoilt with keegan rush Fowler Owen Torres and Suarez all natural talents . This lad could turn into a Van Nistolroy level player if we have patience. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Good young strikers are in short supply all very erratic and no one ripping it up. Even watched Watkins last night and in a very good villa first half totally anonymous. Then the second nothing. I would go as far as to say we have the best of this generation in the premiership at minute. I am prepared to give him time there is plenty to like . We have been spoilt with keegan rush Fowler Owen Torres and Suarez all natural talents . This lad could turn into a Van Nistolroy level player if we have patience. 

Haaland.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Haaland.

Ffs never even thought.  Yeah the best of the bunch in terms of finishing. But in terms of all round play and effort I believe Darwin outshines him. Haaland just employed to stick ball in net and frankly  he does it very well. Jota is our Haaland lite. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

First half he was easily the best player on the pitch. Second half some of his teammates decided to ignore him. 

Why haven’t we got a Gakpo thread full of divided fans? 

Oh…. That’s why. Nunez is fucking boss. 

Said this on the pod a while back, he's judged differently to any player I can ever remember. Every missed chance sparks a massive debate. Some people talk about him like he's a flop. It's bizarre.

Gakpo doesn't get that and when he misses chances no-one is arsed. Maybe it's the fee, maybe it's the Haaland factor, I don't know. I can't ever remember anything like this though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Said this on the pod a while back, he's judged differently to any player I can ever remember. Every missed chance sparks a massive debate. Some people talk about him like he's a flop. It's bizarre.

Gakpo doesn't get that and when he misses chances no-one is arsed. Maybe it's the fee, maybe it's the Haaland factor, I don't know. I can't ever remember anything like this though.

Same as Mo. Can’t argue with him being  one of the greats, he is but fuck me he misses a chance you try having a pop. You’d have Code on a Longboat down the Mersey screaming welcome to Valhalla 

1 minute ago, Curly said:

Puts the effort in and contributes enough, but not worth what we paid for him and I wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

On the flip side, I’d be happy enough for him to stay as well though

Look at the market. What we paid for him is the going rate now. Not too much different to what Arsenal paid for Jesus, what United paid for Hoijland (less than what they paid for Antony), what Spurs paid for Richarlison, what Brentford are asking for Ivan Toney etc

It's maybe £10m more after the add ons, but he's better than all of them so I don't really see how the fee should be that big a deal here. He's worth every penny and when it's all said and done we'll look back on this as a boss signing.

• Upvote 3

For those aggressively defending him, the fickleness on here goes both directions.

As soon as he starts regularly scoring again, this thread will be a love-in with the doubters pitchforked out of it or communicating with each other by morse or on Telegram.

Anyway, my own view is that his peak form and performances need to arrive when Mo is away in a few weeks.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Same as Mo. Can’t argue with him being  one of the greats, he is but fuck me he misses a chance you try having a pop. You’d have Code on a Longboat down the Mersey screaming welcome to Valhalla 

Yeah Mo misses shitloads of chances, like, a ridiculous amount. And the way he misses them is often pathetic. He also gives the ball away more than anybody else too, but he's got the numbers over a long period of time so he gets leeway when he misses or plays a shitty pass, and rightly so. Darwin has to earn the right to get that leeway, but I'm not sure how many he'll need to score to get it. He'll score thirty but it'll be "he should be scoring fifty with the chances he gets".

He's never going to be as clinical as Jota but he's going to get loads of goals for us. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

For those aggressively defending him, the fickleness on here goes both directions.

As soon as he starts regularly scoring again, this thread will be a love-in with the doubters pitchforked out of it or communicating with each other by morse or on Telegram.

Anyway, my own view is that his peak form and performances need to arrive when Mo is away in a few weeks.

We'll play better generally when Mo isn't in the team, but we'll be less likely to score.

Jota being back is who could make up the goals. Feels so nice having an intelligent and efficient footballer in the forward line up.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

We'll play better generally when Mo isn't in the team, but we'll be less likely to score.

Jota being back is who could make up the goals. Feels so nice having an intelligent and efficient footballer in the forward line up.

it will be interesting, as the Salah Out-Ball won't be available, though I suspect we might see more variety in our attacking, and more play down the left hand side.  Playing Nunez on the left and Jota through the middle may be the way to go.  My concern is that one or more of the other 'best from the bench' players may be asked to play 90 mins regularly, which could see us struggle.

Excellent again last couple of starts after a couple of (rare) anonymous performances before that. He always looks a threat, and the goals WILL come. You’ve got a problem if you’ve got a striker who never looks like they’re threatening the opponents or the goal. Gabriel Jesus springs to mind. Also his general link up play and team work rate is now at a very high level and he’s winning the ball back off opponents regularly.

Just keep playing him (as we surely will now Salah is off to afcon)

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Look at the market. What we paid for him is the going rate now. Not too much different to what Arsenal paid for Jesus, what United paid for Hoijland (less than what they paid for Antony), what Spurs paid for Richarlison, what Brentford are asking for Ivan Toney etc

It's maybe £10m more after the add ons, but he's better than all of them so I don't really see how the fee should be that big a deal here. He's worth every penny and when it's all said and done we'll look back on this as a boss signing.

If the add-ons are tied to him scoring goals and us winning stuff, I really hope we pay them.

58 minutes ago, dave u said:

There’s definitely some I can think of - Crouch was a national focal point of judgement when he came here. More than superseded this level of attention.

Also, Gakpo hasn’t missed the number of absolute sitters he has and has also been used as a midfielder and their goals and assists won’t be miles apart.

I think with our fan base, especially since the dawn of the internet, we end up polarised on things as a group more, because there is value and truth in both sides of the argument. 

We’ve got 2 very pertinent situations happening now in Darwin and Trent. The stronger the opinion one way or another, the stronger the opinion back. We had it with Thiago recently as well. Lucas before that and some in between I can’t recall probably. 

When it happens with me I end up resenting the player and the blind faithful side of the debate more often than not I think, but it’s totally clear that both have valid points most of the time.

A lot of the time I find that people who champion something early on, such as Thiago and Nunez cheerleaders who were proclaiming their excellence before they had done anything for us, then feel the need to double down if they don’t get that recognition early on. Keita - how did I forget that?! That was a massive one for a while until everyone realised it was a farce. He’d do fuck all and there would be YouTube videos of “Keita Unlocked” and clips of him playing 5 yard passes.

Not suggesting Darwin is anything like comparable to the Keita situation - couldn’t be more chalk and cheese to be honest, but this “told you so” bollocks fro

the pro group always seems to be incessant from the start.