You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

8 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

To be fair, if he played for any other side in the league very few of our fans would be wishing we had signed him.

He's scored a decent amount of goals so far, his work rate and attitude seem spot on, but at times he hasn't looked like a professional footballer. If City or United had signed him lots of our fans would be taking the piss out of how uncoordinated he looks.

He's young, and there looks to be plenty to work with, but there has been a fair bit of pearl clutching on here about criticising him in a match thread for spooning his fifth chance of the game wide.

It's utterly horrifying to see people brush-off those 5 misses.  

Even if I was watching a youth player making his debut and missing the target 5 times I'd be fairly confident that the lad didn't have the temperament for top level football.  There should be a natural instinct inside a top striker, and no you might not hit the target 5 times, but cmon...

• Downvote 4

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

He is offside on the header - the full volley out of the air at .21 would have been a gola of the month, if not year. Reminds me of the time he almost broke the goal on a volley last year.

If this rubbish continues I will pull up a reel of Peter Crouch.

We're expecting more from him than a Peter Crouch though right?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Even if I was watching a youth player making his debut and missing the target 5 times I'd be fairly confident that the lad didn't have the temperament for top level football.  There should be a natural instinct inside a top striker, and no you might not hit the target 5 times, but cmon...

‘ utterly horrifying’ you need to get out more fella and look at what’s going on in the world.

The thing with the dropping volley is it is an incredibly difficult skill to pull off and he came close to nailing it dead on....BUT it was absolutely the wrong choice!

That sort of sums up his mad nature.

But i stand by what i say - he will score a lot of goals.

If his finishing clicks, as it might well do when he settles more and ages, then he'll be good. Right now it seems he's a bit cart-horsey but there's lots about him that is really decent and exciting over the long term. He's no finished article. That said, not sure why some are losing their shit over people pointing out his touch has been a bit wank. We will just have to wait to see how he does. Or doesn't do. Chill out. Or don't. 

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

The thing with the dropping volley is it is an incredibly difficult skill to pull off and he came close to nailing it dead on....BUT it was absolutely the wrong choice!

That sort of sums up his mad nature.

But i stand by what i say - he will score a lot of goals.

Same with the shot from 30 yards just after the Bajcetic goal, he could have pulled away from the defender and been one on one but instead took the shot early and while the keeper saved it it was never on target from the moment it left his foot (another that was a foot wide of the post).

It's decision making and conviction as much as anything.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Same with the shot from 30 yards just after the Bajcetic goal, he could have pulled away from the defender and been one on one but instead took the shot early and while the keeper saved it it was never on target from the moment it left his foot (another that was a foot wide of the post).

It's decision making and conviction as much as anything.

In my view poor decision making is often down to anxiety and/or being too eager....

I'd imagine the coaching staff will be helping him, of course a great way to settle and be less anxious and not over eager is to tuck a few away and feed off the confidence that comes with that.

It's all connected to temperament.

I've just been rewatching recent misses, recent goals, assist, his old goals and assists and near misses for Benfica, his first day at training, and a few other compilations of Darwin. 

My conclusion is that I love him and we should all buzz off him being in our team and bringing insane levels of energy and positivity.  He's sunshine. 

We get the best out of him by putting more people near to goal.  We also get a better Darwin by putting better crosses in for his head, which seems to be a forte of Gakpo.  

I don t know the argument Klopp or the transfer team made to FSG about buying Darwin for this money though.   It's like "can we spend £70m on Bodie from Point Break, we'll all buzz off him and he might score a few goals".   

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

‘ utterly horrifying’ you need to get out more fella and look at what’s going on in the world.

Don't take this the wrong way, but understand this is a football forum, specifically a Liverpool FC forum. I don't need balance with world events to excuse a silly rant or a moan in this place, designed for this very narrow purpose.  

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If his finishing clicks, as it might well do when he settles more and ages, then he'll be good. Right now it seems he's a bit cart-horsey but there's lots about him that is really decent and exciting over the long term. He's no finished article. That said, not sure why some are losing their shit over people pointing out his touch has been a bit wank. We will just have to wait to see how he does. Or doesn't do. Chill out. Or don't. 

Are people “losing their shit”?

55 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don t know the argument Klopp or the transfer team made to FSG about buying Darwin for this money though.   It's like "can we spend £70m on Bodie from Point Break, we'll all buzz off him and he might score a few goals".   

See below link,

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/best-minutes-per-goal-europe-top-six-leagues-2021-22-nunez-lewandowski-haaland/

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

4 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Are people “losing their shit”?

Sorry fella. I misinterpreted your words. My bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Did he actually miss the target 5 times though? I could have sworn he got at least a couple on target.

13 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but understand this is a football forum, specifically a Liverpool FC forum. I don't need balance with world events to excuse a silly rant or a moan in this place, designed for this very narrow purpose.  

I understand he missed chances like all attackers do.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

In my view poor decision making is often down to anxiety and/or being too eager....

I'd imagine the coaching staff will be helping him, of course a great way to settle and be less anxious and not over eager is to tuck a few away and feed off the confidence that comes with that.

It's all connected to temperament.

I've just watched his goals for Benfica and he was a lot more composed and calmer.

It's definitely an eagerness/anxiety to impress.